Author Topic: crappie rod  (Read 17496 times)

Offline JDthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
crappie rod
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:34 AM »
What kind of action do you guys recommend? UL ML M? Do you also recommend using a spring bobber or a float bobber?

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crappie rod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:13 AM »
For this light biting species I prefer a rod w/ slower action. Fenwick's Elite Tech UL has a nice soft tip for reasonable money...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:10 PM »
spring bobber on a light rod
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:57 PM »
 I use my medium rod for everything. I have caught trout, perch, bluegill, and crappies on it. I am hoping to catch some pike and walleyes on it too.

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I like either un ultra light like an Ice Blue or a medium with a spring bobber. Either will reveal the very soft take and lift of your lures or bait

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Ul gets my vote. Like above an ice blue is a good choice
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline firefighter04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Frabill 32" quick tip. See and feel everything.  Mate it with a 101 frabill reel and ur set. 1:1 retrieve makes it easy to prevent ripping the lip.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:20 PM »
I use a spring bobber on a M rod. But my buddy swears by the Meatstick which has an ultrasensitive tip designed to detect strikes.
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:18 AM »
I just bought the Frabill Ice Hunter 22" Quick Tip. It was designed for crappie fishing. I put on a Frabill 101 Straightline reel. Haven't used it yet but I thinking it will be a blast catching them on it.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:14 PM »
The 22" Quick Tip that SINX is talking about is an awesome rod.

I also like the 27" Quick Tip.  Can't beat them for the price in my opinion.
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:32 PM »
 A medium rod will be your best bet. Has lots of power to drive the hook home and is still sensitive. If it is not sensitive enough use a spring bobber.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:10 PM »
The power of my rod tends to go more so with the weight of my lures.  In addition to that if I'm fishing or catching them more shallow in say less then 15 fow, I tend to favor an UL.  Going up to 25 fow I tend to favor a L.  Deeper than that, I will go with a ML or even step up to a full M power if I'm hooking into some slabs of 12" or larger.

Not really sure what's needed to drive the hook home on them papermouths.   If I did that, I'm either ripping the hook out of their mouths or I end up flinging that fish like 5 to 10 feet up the water column. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:19 AM »
48 inch or 52 inch pulsator rod in ultra light and light. Nothing beats long roding crappies in shallow water 2 to 8 feet.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:25 PM »
24" ul ice blue with 3lb trilene ice line...dont have to worry about the spring bobber freazing on cold days as u can fish this light rod without one...best rod for the price and my favorite for crappie.

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Frabil hotstick iant bad either in 22" ul but take the reel off and throw it in the garbage and get a better one.

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:46 PM »
48 inch or 52 inch pulsator rod in ultra light. Nothing beats long roding crappies in shallow water 2 to 8 feet.

x2  love my 48" frabill jiggler and 52" pulsator. Changed my whole style of fishing this year. Can feel everything it seems.

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Have you had any probloms with the jiggler freezing up me and my son really wanted to try those but was worryed about it freezing

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2013, 08:33 AM »
I have one jiggler. I don't like the drag on it and just put a rubber band on the crank. as it seems to just let out line. It has never frozen up. Only use 2lb micro ice on. Did change the spring bobber to a bic lighter spring. Way more sensitive. There are other rods out there with different reels. But when a walleye or bigger fish hits on the jiggler I just pop the rubber band and crank. The drag seems to work then.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2013, 06:05 PM »
the ML fenwick is fantastic i have all size models of that rod series...love everyone but the best one for crappie has to be the ML
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2013, 02:57 PM »
My favorite rod for crappie is a 28'' Med action Meat Stick. Super light tip but plenty of backbone for bringing them up. I fish almost exclusively plastics on that one.  That said I also take my share on several UL models, my favorite being a St. Croix Legend that I modified. (stepped on) It is a little stiffer than the original specs but the spring bobber is great when they are biting light. Sometimes it lifts up a little and bam! Fish on.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:12 PM »
A medium rod will be your best bet. Has lots of power to drive the hook home and is still sensitive. If it is not sensitive enough use a spring bobber.
Best answer yet !  ;)
   Extra sharp hooks, low/no stretch line and hook set timing mean a lot more than the rod being used !
  There's been many years where I've used the same rod for all panfish species and walleyes with just a switch of the spools on my reel to change the line between 1 lb and 4lb test (I use Fireline or Nanofil).
  I'd rather carry 2 identical rods with a small bag full of extra reel spools than carry 4 to 8 rods and waste time making decisions on which one to use !   

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Just fished with a Wright and McGill Power Ice Noodle (I'm thinking it's their cheaper version of the Thorne Bros. Power Noodle) and I liked it so much I bought another one.  Was able to detect "up" bites with a 4mm Fiska due to the load in the rod tip. I was only fishing in 10', but I'm sure the rod will perform well in deeper water as well.

Great price point at Mill's Fleet Farm too!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2013, 10:24 AM »
I have two St. Croix Legend rods, one with a Clam Spooler 101 reel and the other with a soon to arrive Frabill Straight Line 101XLA reel.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2013, 05:46 PM »
  I'd rather carry 2 identical rods with a small bag full of extra reel spools than carry 4 to 8 rods and waste time making decisions on which one to use !   

No way I'm changing out spools in freezing temps. Several rigs ready to switch up presentations can keep a bite going.

That being said I have but one combo specifically for targeting crappie

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:23 AM »
There have been a lot of good points made here. I still rig up several rods with a variety of lures for crappie. Yesterday what happened  to do the best with my modified SC Legend. A small horizontal jig with an Impulse plastic tail was hot. The fish were glues to the bottom and biting light, so a super sensitive spring bobber was key. I also took crappie on two or three other set ups. Yes I was fishing a good lake, and no there wasn't a hot bite on. I worked patiently and stayed flexible and caught (and often missed) some nice fish. I carefully set up each rig for crappie, and also with patterns I knew to be good in the body of water I was going to fish. Also I spend time in my house jigging them and observing how they react; often it is different than what you might expect. Having a good balanced combo with a lure that responds well to it is probably a lot more critical than a rods action. That said I'm not going to use a noodle rod to target deep suspended fish. I know; just shut up and fish!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:51 AM »
Nice catch VC-- You on firm ice in PA 2013?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Thx; Those are actually fish from last year on the same lake. I did take and release a similar gill, and about ten or twelve crappie about the size in that pic. As for firm ice, it might have been a one and done; I was fishing a small lake at elevation and the temps are above freezing there now, and will stay that way to the weekend. Most of the state isn't on safe ice at this point. Oh here's an actual shot from 12-1-13. This was early on, so some fish left with their captor and more got added. I released my best fish at dark, also caught on plastic.

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:48 PM »
i just bought the DH pantom rod for crappie after playing with it this thing is awesome.its basically his perch pounder rod with a super sensitive nitinol tip.

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2013, 08:10 PM »
I won't panfish without my 27 inch quick tip bros series! It's so sensitive I can feel a fish fart on my jig below the ice ;) and it still has plenty of back bone.
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Tuned Up Custom Rod's Precision Noodle looks to be a sweeet ice stick for crappie too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.