The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster JUNK  (Read 6404 times)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Strikemaster JUNK
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:13 AM »
Well, yesterday was the last straw for Strikemaster augers in my book.

Auger is less than 3 seasons old, the clutch snapped in half (yes, it broke in half) the first season about the 5th or 6th trip to the ice.

The Solo engine recoil assembly was overloaded with grease from the factory, resulting in a couple trips to the bench to rectify.

Got the auger back after months in the shop from the clutch snapping, only to take have the recoil not retract, one of the dogs decided to not retract as it should.

Yesterday, while drilling holes, the auger starts making a funny noise midway through a hole and then dies and won't restart.

Best determination I can make is either the transmission disintegrated, or a piece of the piston ring snapped off and cooked the cylinder.

Now, I'm PO'ed enough about 5 breakdowns/failures in less than 3 seasons, but the real kicker last night came when I posted my complaint on SM's Facebook page and it disappeared 10 minutes later.

They didn't address it, they simply deleted it.

Just to make sure I didn't properly post it, I did it again and sure enough, within minutes that post was taken down also.

My last post told them they could prevent me from posting on their page, but they couldn't stop me from posting on either my page or every ice fishing forum I can find, and that is my intent.

So much for their "German engineered, made in Freakin China" engines.

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Strikemaster JUNK
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Their FB page is for advertisement not for dealing with customer service. I don't blame them for taking it down and banning you. Obviously you got a lemon, why didnt you take it up with the company and get a new auger instead of fixing it 5 times?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:50 AM »
Their FB page is for advertisement not for dealing with customer service. I don't blame them for taking it down and banning you. Obviously you got a lemon, why didnt you take it up with the company and get a new auger instead of fixing it 5 times?

First off, they didn't ban me, they merely deleted my comments.

Second, I deal with dozens of companies through their facebook pages and this is the ONLY one who's deleted comments rather than address any comments (positive or negative).  Go to a Dewalt, or a Ridgid, or even a Jiffy FB page and see how they address negative comments..they address them and don't delete them.

Third, you think I didn't TRY and get a replacement auger?

They turn a nearly deaf ear to a "lemon' auger, and skirt most issues in e-mails as well.

You know that "Made in Germany" Solo engine?  Not now, it's made in China and merely "german engineered".  If I was a real P***k I'd post the e-mails I got from their company rep while the auger was still under warranty and the clutch snapped in half to show what a hassle I got when the auger was less than a month old, and I still may.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:08 AM »
I feel for ya. After working on, building, and repairing engines as a certified wrench from small to V-8's since the 70's, nothing out there is much good anymore. (That's made in China) Try to tell people that the Solo is NOT made in Germany, and look at the reactions. (see some of the posts!) My Viper is made in China; so is yours, so are Jiffy's...there are a few out there that have not gone that route. Even the Briggs and Tecumseh engine's on snowblowers and mowers are all Chinese; my friend owns a dealership/engine business that sells and fixes these, in his opinion, all junk, he can't even rebuild the engines anymore. I've been lucky; my 6 yo Eskimo has been faultless for me from day one. The advice I give people is if you can find an auger in great shape over 10 years old, buy it, or go electric.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Did you try calling strikemaster and explain what all has happened in 3 years? They may take it and honor the warranty if you be nice and courteous. Then when they replace it you can sell it and buy a jiffy if you want. Telling them their product sucks, you are going to spread the word to not buy their products, and flaming on their FB page will get you absolutely nowhere. Call them Tuesday and see what happens.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Did you try calling strikemaster and explain what all has happened in 3 years? They may take it and honor the warranty if you be nice and courteous. Then when they replace it you can sell it and buy a jiffy if you want. Telling them their product sucks, you are going to spread the word to not buy their products, and flaming on their FB page will get you absolutely nowhere. Call them Tuesday and see what happens.

Looks like I'm not the only one who's gotten the runaround on SM's customer service:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221685

And as far as their new Honda auger:

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=63403

No thanks, I'll write this off as  a bad experience, from a lousy company and drag the 41 year old jiffy and deal with the weight.

I tried playing nice and got crapped on, got hassled about warranty when it was a month old, so am having a hard time trying to be understanding now.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:37 AM »
This is the route I went, expensive yes, but worth every penny! http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/main-navigation/products?d=338&p=932!! This little 33cc engine absolutly kills a z71 in a race, is much lighter and its made in JAPAN and comes with a 7 year warranty.  I did put a strikemaster 10" flyte on it, seems to be the perfect combo! You should see it cut through 3 plus feet of ice on Lake Winnipeg!!!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I think you'll find that all of the big auger makers quality has dropped in the last 10 years and they are all built over there.
There are a couple of exceptions like Husky and the Tanaka mentioned above.

I have an older Strikemaster with 3hp Tecumseh engine and it is almost all steel.
Yes it's heavy but I trust it much more than the rebranded Eskimo Mako I bought a year and a half ago.
That auger with all of it's plastic is much more fragile and it was broken by the time I snowmobiled 5 miles to my fishing spot.
That's right it was broken before I ever drilled my first hole!!!! :(
It now sits in the shed as a backup to my Strikemaster that I know can take the abuse I give it travelling over rough trails.
I also know that it will always start as well.

It's not light, it's not bullet proof, bit it can take a beating and still do it's job day in and day out.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I think you'll find that all of the big auger makers quality has dropped in the last 10 years and they are all built over there.
There are a couple of exceptions like Husky and the Tanaka mentioned above.

I have an older Strikemaster with 3hp Tecumseh engine and it is almost all steel.
Yes it's heavy but I trust it much more than the rebranded Eskimo Mako I bought a year and a half ago.
That auger with all of it's plastic is much more fragile and it was broken by the time I snowmobiled 5 miles to my fishing spot.
That's right it was broken before I ever drilled my first hole!!!! :(
It now sits in the shed as a backup to my Strikemaster that I know can take the abuse I give it travelling over rough trails.
I also know that it will always start as well.

It's not light, it's not bullet proof, bit it can take a beating and still do it's job day in and day out.

I kept my old trusty Eskimo barracuda plus as a backup, it's all steal as well(techumseh) she's drilled a million holes for me, never ran great, but never let me down!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:30 AM »
I feel for ya. After working on, building, and repairing engines as a certified wrench from small to V-8's since the 70's, nothing out there is much good anymore. (That's made in China) Try to tell people that the Solo is NOT made in Germany, and look at the reactions. (see some of the posts!) My Viper is made in China; so is yours, so are Jiffy's...there are a few out there that have not gone that route. Even the Briggs and Tecumseh engine's on snowblowers and mowers are all Chinese; my friend owns a dealership/engine business that sells and fixes these, in his opinion, all junk, he can't even rebuild the engines anymore. I've been lucky; my 6 yo Eskimo has been faultless for me from day one. The advice I give people is if you can find an auger in great shape over 10 years old, buy it, or go electric.
I loved the ol "My Solo engine was made in Germany bilge water.". I always said Jiffy should advertise their auger motors as being engineered in America and it seems they now do.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:58 AM »
I loved the ol "My Solo engine was made in Germany bilge water.". I always said Jiffy should advertise their auger motors as being engineered in America and it seems they now do.  ;)

Agreed.

Ya know, I wonder why SM continued putting those cheap junk Chinese blades on their augers after all the uproar they got and all the free blades they had to cough up when people complained.

It's not like they discontinued the practice after complaints, they did it for a few years and as far as I know, they still do, except now they tell ya "tough luck" when you call and complain....

When I asked 2 years ago about the TRUE origin of those Solo's, they wouldn't give me a straight answer, Jerry Havel told me that "everybody had to make their stuff overseas nowadays".....the Solo on my auger says, "made in Germany" on the logo, but he won't verify if it's german made or merely german engineered....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:16 PM »
This type of thing happening doesn't help this old coot either. Maybe that's why I hang onto my Jiffy with a Tecumseh on it. Kind of like a security blanket.  ;D

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:33 AM »
This type of thing happening doesn't help this old coot either. Maybe that's why I hang onto my Jiffy with a Tecumseh on it. Kind of like a security blanket.  ;D

Same with my old Model 30 Jiffy.

Heavier than a dead body, but always runs even though it's got 41 or 42 years of hard running on it.

Another thing about Strikemaster customer service, when the clutch snapped the first month I owned it, they actually questioned the warranty guy how old the unit was because my receipt was hand written from the hardware store I purchased it from.

**censored**?  All they had to do was check the serial number to see the manufacture date and verify.  Of course, that's assuming that they even bother to record them to begin with.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Sorry to hear all the Strikemaster problems. I have had 3 SM augers and have always been happy. I always sell mine every  couple of years and up grade. I have only had one problem and StrikeMaster fixed that while I waited. They even gave be some mix for my inconvenience.

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:25 AM »
There's nothing as nostalgic as the old Jiffy's pop pop pop sound across the ice... ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Same with my old Model 30 Jiffy.

Heavier than a dead body, but always runs even though it's got 41 or 42 years of hard running on it.

Another thing about Strikemaster customer service, when the clutch snapped the first month I owned it, they actually questioned the warranty guy how old the unit was because my receipt was hand written from the hardware store I purchased it from.

**censored**?  All they had to do was check the serial number to see the manufacture date and verify.  Of course, that's assuming that they even bother to record them to begin with.
I had a bad clutch on my 2 hp steath and the auger turned whenever the engine was running. After four years I emailed them and they sent me a UPS shipping label and I returned it. It was back in a week with no charge. Maybe he heard me when I said it was a safety item and if it ever injured me someone would have to swallow the darn thing. Otherwise it has been flawless.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:47 AM »
I had a bad clutch on my 2 hp steath and the auger turned whenever the engine was running. After four years I emailed them and they sent me a UPS shipping label and I returned it. It was back in a week with no charge. Maybe he heard me when I said it was a safety item and if it ever injured me someone would have to swallow the darn thing. Otherwise it has been flawless.

THAT'S customer service and standing behind a product.

These jokers hassled me on an auger that wasn't even a month old when it took it's first major dump.

It's all good though...I've been badmouthing these clowns on every ice fishing site I can find, and about 20 guys were standing with me the other day when it imploded....so if I can prevent them from selling a couple more pieces of junk to some other fisherman, all the better.

A few years ago, a guy bought a lemon car from a local dealership up here and got nothing but hassled, UNTIL he made a big sign saying "this lemon bought at ________________Chevy, and parked it (and the sign) out in front of their dealership.  The dealership decided to have "second thoughts" about blowing the guy off and took the car back.

I live right on a main road to a bunch of ice fishing grounds...gives me an idea for a sign, a statement, and a few pics for facebook and ice fishing sites...think I'll send Rapala one as well...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2013, 02:02 PM »
THAT'S customer service and standing behind a product.

These jokers hassled me on an auger that wasn't even a month old when it took it's first major dump.

It's all good though...I've been badmouthing these clowns on every ice fishing site I can find, and about 20 guys were standing with me the other day when it imploded....so if I can prevent them from selling a couple more pieces of junk to some other fisherman, all the better.

A few years ago, a guy bought a lemon car from a local dealership up here and got nothing but hassled, UNTIL he made a big sign saying "this lemon bought at ________________Chevy, and parked it (and the sign) out in front of their dealership.  The dealership decided to have "second thoughts" about blowing the guy off and took the car back.

I live right on a main road to a bunch of ice fishing grounds...gives me an idea for a sign, a statement, and a few pics for facebook and ice fishing sites...think I'll send Rapala one as well...
We had a guy here who bought a new chevy in the sixties and got a lemon. The dealership blew him off and he had the same type of verticle sign on the roof of the car as the guy you're talking about. This guy went one step further when he got no action and painted the car yellow with rattle cans. He finally got to meet with a GM block rep and got his car replaced. Took him quite a while though.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Huh.  Just spoke to the authorized repair center in this area for Strikemaster augers, and he's had THREE of the Solo powered augers come in the past week , all for the same imploding transmission/gears in the plastic housed cases.

As soon as I began to describe what it sounded like before it died on the ice, he described what it did to me, all three of the ones brought in did the exact same thing, mine makes #4 in a week.

Hope Rapala knows what a trash outfit they acquired last year.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Huh.  Just spoke to the authorized repair center in this area for Strikemaster augers, and he's had THREE of the Solo powered augers come in the past week , all for the same imploding transmission/gears in the plastic housed cases.

As soon as I began to describe what it sounded like before it died on the ice, he described what it did to me, all three of the ones brought in did the exact same thing, mine makes #4 in a week.

Hope Rapala knows what a trash outfit they acquired last year.
Is he going to do something for ya???

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Is he going to do something for ya???

He told me the casing  for the chinese gears on that POS is 144 bucks alone, and thats not with any gears and such that probably are going to need replacing, let alone the labor to take it apart and put it back together.

Therefore, tomorrow I'm buying a can of bright yellow spray paint, painting the entire unit that same color and making my sign and putting it out by the main road, with the "STRIKEMASTER" name in big red letters, and posting it on EVERY ice fishing site I can find, and a few social media sites as well.

Strikemaster can kiss my a**.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Yep so much junk out there today, mostly made in china! I went through 3 eskimo tents last season, thats why when I decieded to buy a new auger this year it was between the tanaka and husqvarna! 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2013, 11:16 AM »
He told me the casing  for the chinese gears on that POS is 144 bucks alone, and thats not with any gears and such that probably are going to need replacing, let alone the labor to take it apart and put it back together.

Therefore, tomorrow I'm buying a can of bright yellow spray paint, painting the entire unit that same color and making my sign and putting it out by the main road, with the "STRIKEMASTER" name in big red letters, and posting it on EVERY ice fishing site I can find, and a few social media sites as well.

Strikemaster can kiss my a**.
Too bad this type of thing has to happen. Hope ya find something better to replace it. I was looking at a Nilsmaster power auger this winter, but the old Jiffy doesn't seem ready to die yet. lol

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Just speaking for myself I've had great luck with Strikemaster but that's just one guy. I have the Strike Lite II (subaru) and every time I'm out guys come over to try it out and comment on how quiet it is, how light it is, how fast it cuts, etc. I like it a lot and my old 10 inch Lazer Mag was pretty bullet proof (had to replace the clutch springs which I did myself) for 15 years before I just decided to sell it.

Hopefully it's just that the new SOLO line isn't reliable and if I was you I'd be pretty frustrated as well and hopefully you find something else that you are happy with.

It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Too bad this type of thing has to happen. Hope ya find something better to replace it. I was looking at a Nilsmaster power auger this winter, but the old Jiffy doesn't seem ready to die yet. lol

Yeah, the jiffy is still going strong, and I'm not the only one having problems with the elcheapo Solo/strikemasters.

Found 2 solo strikemasters on craigslist (in my area), both 3 years old (the same age as mine) advertised  with blown pistons in the past week.....

I bought a Tanaka/Nils 8 inch.  Would tell the story of how it came to be that I did, but lets just say that I had a conversation with a person affiliated with Nils that convinced me (and I don't convince very easily) to go with their product.

Yesterday it was on the ice for the first time and I'm VERY impressed.

Anybody wanna buy a Solo with a blown cylinder?  I know where ya can get 3 of 'em...cheap.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:33 PM »
What is the location of these augers?
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:41 PM »
What is the location of these augers?

Watertown, Ny

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2013, 05:38 AM »
Just curious as to the date of manufacture of your auger?
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2013, 05:45 AM »
Just curious as to the date of manufacture of your auger?

purchased off the showroom floor in January of 2011...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.