The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Fin bore head on Nils?  (Read 867 times)

Offline boyscout

• IceShanty Rookie
Fin bore head on Nils?
« on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Just what it says, would an old style Fin Bor cutting head fit on a Nils auger? I might have found one and they sure look alike.Thanks!
Yeah, yeah, yeah....FIVE more minutes, That's all, Then we'll go.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fin bore head on Nils?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:05 AM »
  The Finn Bore blade doesn't have the fin that end of the Nils fighting would slide into but yes it will work.

Look at the bottom of the blade. If its pitted with rust you don't want it.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline boyscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2013, 01:38 PM »
Thanks for that info!

Offline boyscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Oops! Again thanks for the information. I saw one on evil bay and I was thinking it was a way to get a backup head for my auger. But after your thoughts, it did look a bit rusty tho I don't know if its pitted. Anyhow, my head is good and sharp and it seems to be working fine. AND I always have my old standby of a MORA 6" that cuts damn nice too. Not a bad backup. But again, there is no effort with the NILS, especially when I slow it down a bit and try not to beat power augers!

On that note, I saw a guy today up on one foot(!) trying to get more weight on his old gas auger so that it would punch through. I had my third hole done just as he got his first in, and I wasn't even trying!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Oops! Again thanks for the information. I saw one on evil bay and I was thinking it was a way to get a backup head for my auger. But after your thoughts, it did look a bit rusty tho I don't know if its pitted. Anyhow, my head is good and sharp and it seems to be working fine. AND I always have my old standby of a MORA 6" that cuts damn nice too. Not a bad backup. But again, there is no effort with the NILS, especially when I slow it down a bit and try not to beat power augers!

On that note, I saw a guy today up on one foot(!) trying to get more weight on his old gas auger so that it would punch through. I had my third hole done just as he got his first in, and I wasn't even trying!

I sat in the parking lot at a local lake earlier this season and watched a guy drill a hole with an auger that was older than he was (old 8" blue mora). Grandpa (or dad?) just watched as he went around and around 1/2 turn at a time putting all his weight onto the auger. It took him a good 10 minutes to cut a hole through 6" of ice. I was giving him another 5 until I got the auger out of the back of the truck and walked out to drill him some holes. The funny part was that he fished the new hole for about 30 seconds before walking back to fish his other holes.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:34 AM »
 I saw that blade and figured I'd take the chance on it so I bid on the opening price.    There is some rust but it looks light enough that I might be able to buff it off.
Pretty much figured that after sitting around for so many years its been dinged a few times and will need sharpening.
Not that I need another auger blade but I have an old Finn Bore auger I'd like to restore and it needs a Finn Bore blade to be original.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline boyscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Sweet! I hope you win it, I love it when someone restores vintage fishing equipment. Good luck.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:31 PM »
I saw that blade and figured I'd take the chance on it so I bid on the opening price.    There is some rust but it looks light enough that I might be able to buff it off.
Pretty much figured that after sitting around for so many years its been dinged a few times and will need sharpening.
Not that I need another auger blade but I have an old Finn Bore auger I'd like to restore and it needs a Finn Bore blade to be original.

That person has been selling those for some time now.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.