The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Icegator  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Icegator
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Well it is another year and the icegator is still going strong!  See there are still issues with the gas,propane and the ion,s lol. Didn't even have to get new battery's for it this year. Lol.    Ice gators still the fastest stock ice auger on the market!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Icegator
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:12 PM »
For 600 bucks, for just the head..

Paid 325 for my Ion =)
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Those things have had more than their fair share of problems. Probably why no ones doing much talking about getting them any more. Are they still in production?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Those things have had more than their fair share of problems. Probably why no ones doing much talking about getting them any more. Are they still in production?

they were terrible to begin with. Bad batteries, heavy, terrible customer service.. the only reason they were talked about here was becasue they were a site sponsor. As soon as their sponsorship ran out so did the talk.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Well it is another year and the icegator is still going strong!  See there are still issues with the gas,propane and the ion,s lol. Didn't even have to get new battery's for it this year. Lol.    Ice gators still the fastest stock ice auger on the market!

Go promote your junk elsewhere, theres a reason they arent around anymore.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Ice gators still the fastest stock ice auger on the market!

How can that be? They come "stock" with no auger bit.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Give up on it already HAZMAT. If you can post how great they are how come people can't see all the negative posts about them that amazingly disappeared.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Just keeping the ney Sayers informed how good they are as mine is still running strong and several others are too

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Ang again, probably cost you close to $750 (Power head 600, Nils auger 150, adapter 30) just to get it operable.

I could have bought 2 Ions and a spare battery for that price lol

Would like to see it up against an Ion with a Nils auger on it..

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Nope had the laser auger way before I considered the icegator  when I got mine it came ready to attach

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Ang again, probably cost you close to $750 (Power head 600, Nils auger 150, adapter 30) just to get it operable.

You could put a spoon on that gator and it would still smoke the ion..I don't own either one.I have used both tho.If the Ion comes out with a 9 or 10" auger I would own 1
Jig em up!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Nope had the laser auger way before I considered the icegator  when I got mine it came ready to attach

You still have to buy an auger to go on it. Unless your lazer was free or fell from the sky, you had to pay for it at some point...
Then u gotta pay for an adapter to make it fit lol...

You could put a spoon on that gator and it would still smoke the ion..I don't own either one.I have used both tho.If the Ion comes out with a 9 or 10" auger I would own 1

So the gators better (with a spoon no less), but you would buy an Ion..  ???       lol

I have yet to see a head to head comparison with the same auger on both.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:30 AM »
You still have to buy an auger to go on it. Unless your lazer was free or fell from the sky, you had to pay for it at some point...
Then u gotta pay for an adapter to make it fit lol...

So the gators better (with a spoon no less), but you would buy an Ion..  ???       lol

I have yet to see a head to head comparison with the same auger on both.
got a spoon hmmm have to try that..... But as far as speed... Nobody likes a video of an icegator spanking their gas model. I've tried getting people to go for it.  Lol

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Hazmt, just curious if you have tried a Mora auger on the gator?

The lazer will fit on my Ion as well. The stock Ion auger uses Mora blades.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:53 AM »
no I havent tried the mora    kid has one  but the lazer is faster than the mora anyway

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2013, 12:34 PM »
no I havent tried the mora    kid has one  but the lazer is faster than the mora anyway

What makes you say the lazer is faster if you have never tried it?
Is there a vid somewhere of the two side by side?

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Just keeping the ney Sayers informed how good they are as mine is still running strong and several others are too
Pretty good selling point? When you say several others are running strong, are you finally admitting that alot of people that own one, basically have a lemon?

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:06 PM »
What makes you say the lazer is faster if you have never tried it?
Is there a vid somewhere of the two side by side?

Don't know about use with a power head but I've owned both & the Lazer hand auger smokes the Mora...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Townie, thx for the reply. Thats what i wanted to hear.

Thx

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Lazer is no faster than a mora. They are right about the same. However, when drilling by hand the lazer is a lot less effort thus making it faster drilling by hand. That is what confuses people. If you turn both the lazer and the mora at the same RPM you will see they are very very similar in time it takes to cut through the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:31 PM »
BBK thx for the info.

One thing im concerned about is that I contacted Ion, they stated the Ion doesnt use Mora blades. Even tho they look identical.
They said the ion has specific blades, i asked where they were made, in China  =/

I may pick up some Mora's to try anyway.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Lazer is no faster than a mora. They are right about the same. However, when drilling by hand the lazer is a lot less effort thus making it faster drilling by hand. That is what confuses people. If you turn both the lazer and the mora at the same RPM you will see they are very very similar in time it takes to cut through the ice.
I have an Icegator Attacker model for and eight inch blade. I have run the mora and the lazer on it. I did drop down to a seven inch blade to keep the shavings down in my shanty and get a few more holes. I was thinking my five year old unit would need new batteries this season and was preparing myself to buy a new set. The old style lead, but once again I had enough juice to get enough holes for five people to fish and a camera. It was only a little over a foot of ice to let you guys know. Michigan allows three lines each.
There was some guys in a group I met at the restaurant while having breakfast and they set up behind my shanty to keep from blowing away in the wind. About two inches away. They started drilling holes with a propane auger and not being around one before it surprised me. Two guys were holding the thing and it took forever to drill a hole. I felt sorry for them and stopped what I was doing to go make some holes for them. I came out and drilled a hole for a tip up outside my shanty then walked out a ways a drilled another hole. No joke they were still trying to make the first one. I decided against offering help for fear of embarrassing them so drilled one more hole and went back to setting up. I found out the auger they had bought was vibrating itself apart a lot and they had already returned it for service once. I honestly thought they were running it backwards compared to mine. One of the guys did come ask me to drill two holes and his shanty and I'm sure they couldn't of started theirs before I was done.
Now don't take this wrong! Anyone who knows my posts is for information and not gain. I am telling you how I use my Gator and how it works for me. To me no different than telling my fellow fisherman how to keep their feet warm. Michianafisherman
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Did you see a difference in cutting speed between the Mora and the Lazer?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:40 PM »
BBK thx for the info.

One thing im concerned about is that I contacted Ion, they stated the Ion doesnt use Mora blades. Even tho they look identical.
They said the ion has specific blades, i asked where they were made, in China  =/

I may pick up some Mora's to try anyway.

They will never tell you the truth, just to buy their own brand. Now I have never held a pair of mora blades to an ion to see if the holes line up, but they sure do look like moras. They do not look any different than eskimo standard hand auger blades, which are chinese moras.

If they don't fit, I'm sure you could sell them to someone.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:35 PM »
If they dont fit ill return them lol.

At which point I may look into getting a Lazer auger for my Ion.
I dont want to use crappy Chinese blades every time..

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Did you see a difference in cutting speed between the Mora and the Lazer?
The mora definatly made it work harder and slower. Drawing more amps and taking more time to make a hole. The trick is to make a hole fast so not to run down your battery. Kind of like starting a car. You can't keep cranking without getting a dead battery. I like the looks of the chipper blade made by vexilar for the hand drills. But again the price keeps me from finding out if it would work with my gator.

My gator has two 9ah right now, when I buy new batteries I will try to get the 12ah instead.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:44 PM »
This year I got to use a Gator with a nils auger.  WOW, what a great auger. It was really nice and reliable.  It drilled very quick and worked well.  Not too heavy and very quiet.  I also got to use a Jiffy Pro4 propane auger. It actually outperformed the Gator on shear power but was alot heavier.  Since we use sleds to drag our gear out weight was not an issue, I would probably go with the Jiffy Pro4 due to power and I will be able to replace a propane cylinder easier and cheaper than replacing a battery when it dies for good.  But the Gator was a great auger no doubt.  I would like to try the Ion.  But for now I would be looking at spending $450 on a Jiffy Pro4 for a long term choice in augers. My 2 cents.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:45 PM »
If they dont fit ill return them lol.

At which point I may look into getting a Lazer auger for my Ion.
I dont want to use crappy Chinese blades every time..

If you can swing a little extra, a nils on the ion might be killer.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:47 AM »
If you can swing a little extra, a nils on the ion might be killer.

Im not a fan of having to ship out the whole head for repair, and having a spare of that size in my tub is a bit of a pain.
I have also been reading alot of problems with Nils lately on the Equip forums here.

I have seen both the Nils and the Fin-Bore hand augers side by side, used both as well. The Fin-Bore out performed the Nils in both speed and ease of use.
Both were new with new blades as well.

The Fin Bore is a Lazer with an Off Set handle. Since i wont need the handle, i can pick up a lazer.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:05 AM »

Have a gator with a Lithium battery.  Great machine.  I'd like to see an ION in person as well.  But as far as comparing - it's simple - just get the RPM on both and the higher RPM Gator will blow the doors off the ION.  ;D  Weight of the two is close with the Lithium battery pack on the gator.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.