The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils 8 inch cutting head on a 6 inch shaft ???  (Read 894 times)

Offline jknep

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils 8 inch cutting head on a 6 inch shaft ???
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 PM »
I am a PROUD OWNER of a 6 inch Nils. Had the auger for 4yrs and still cuts like a dream. BUT I am ordering a extra cutting head for a spare. I was wondering if I could put a 8 inch head on it OR IF anybody EVER TRIED IT BEFORE. Not that i am not happy with the 6 inch but a we have a 10 inch jiffy gas power and the 6 inch holes just seems small. But never had a fish yet not come out of it. BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER BUT SOMETIMES NICER. Here in PA where i fish the ice seldom gets over a foot thick. The first yr I bought it we had a WHOPPING 16 INCHES. Didnt even get out last yr, cause no SAFE ICE in my
 book.
Any thoughts or smart butt comments welcome.
THANKS MY FROZEN FRIENDS!!!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Nils 8 inch cutting head on a 6 inch shaft ???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:46 PM »
I don't know if the head would fit on the flighting or not but the flighting wouldn't pull shavings out of the hole nearly as well if at all given the smaller size. 
Chris Raymond

Offline jknep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:08 PM »
I was told it would fit. The flighting wouldnt get rid of the shavings (as fast)but like I said the ice is not very thick in most cases. So I thought it may work. The ice now is 5 to 7 inches ( 2/12/13). If it was 16 to 20 inches then that would be a differnt story.
THANKS GUYS!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Let us know how it works. I doubt with that little ice it would matter even if there was no flighting. Might make it a little harder to drill than a 8" nils, but it will surely work.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:47 AM »
 You'll have to drill a 1/4" hole in the stub of the 8" head for it to work.  The fighting on the auger isn't going to mount in the fin on the head either.  What you'll do is situate that fin so it is above the auger fighting and they would then overlap.  Then use a felt pen and mark the new location for the hole.

You'll have a lot of ice chips left in the hole and in thick ice it might be enough to bind.  Still doable if that should happen as you'll lift the drill to clear chips out if need be.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.