The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pa state musky record broken?  (Read 13676 times)

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
pa state musky record broken?
« on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:06 AM »
MY BOSS JUST SHOWED ME A PHOTO FROM HIS BUDDY , MONSTER MUSKY CAUGHT IN DELAWARE RIVER WHERE THE TOWHICAN DUMPS INTO IT," SUPPOSEDLY"  AN UNVERIFIED STATE RECORD, OLD ONE STILL STANDING SINCE 1924, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN IF ANYONE ELSE HAS SEEN ANYTHING ABOUT IT. BUDDY DID NOT CATCH THE FISH BUT SENT THE PHOTO, HE LIVES RIGHT NEAR IT WAS CAUGHT.  TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE DETAILS. WILL POST MORE WHEN I FIND OUT DETAILS UNLESS SOMEONE ELSE HAS MORE INFO.

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: pa state musky record broken?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:32 AM »
I HAVE THE PHOTOS IN MY HOTMAIL MAIL BOX, IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO POST PHOTO ON ICE SHANTY I WILL SEND THEM TO YOU.

Offline Nuangola Susquehanna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I HAVE THE PHOTOS IN MY HOTMAIL MAIL BOX, IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO POST PHOTO ON ICE SHANTY I WILL SEND THEM TO YOU.

pm'd.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:55 PM »
If its the pic I got about a week or two ago I have my doubts as to where it was caught (or atleast when it was) due to the fact there was snow and ice all over the river yet none in the pic. Also heard it was mid/ upper 40# range which would break the NJ record but not the PA record

Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:00 PM »
YEAH THATS THE PIC, SEEMS TO BE REAL HUSH HUSH ALL OVER THE WEB, NO INFO, THOUGHT IF IT WAS A NEW UNOFFICIAL RECORD EITHER STATE WOULD HAVE POSTED SOMETHING, HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE, STILL ONE HELL OF A FISH

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:19 PM »
51 inches and i think 35 pounds....it was caught in the delaware river...around the phillipsburg area

Offline lyterx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:19 AM »
If that was my fish I would be smiling...

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:36 AM »
That's a great fish, but Pa's state record, the one standing since the 20s is truly massive!!! That fish doesn't come close

Offline smj8322

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Something is def "fishy" about this. There was a big musky supposedly caught around me that was 51" 35lbs. I'm nowhere near the area where this was caught.. The picture I saw was on the ice with snow..

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:43 AM »
Pa state record musky standing since 1924 is 59" long and weighed OVER 54 POUNDS!!!!  54 POUNDS!!!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM »
usually when the info is hush hush theres usually more to the story,a fish like that is worth bragging about as long as you tell the truth,being he isnt bragging makes one wonder

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:19 PM »
That's a giant for sure. It looks like to be in the area of a record at least. It's strange there is such little info on it.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Both arms fully extended and isn't struggling at all with the fish. Unless this guy is the hulk in disguise, I don't think it will get close to touching the record...

This is the Michigan state record that was caught this October. Confirmed by the state DNR AT 59" and 58lbs.

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:19 PM »
i know the guy holding the fish well,hes not even the one who caught it...the fish was caught open water and not ice fishing...and caught in the phillipsburg area....nothing fishy about this at all....and i dont think theres any secrets about it,except maybe exactly where it was caught..

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Is it just me or does it seem that every time someone catches a fish that may be close to a record that the doubters come out of the woodwork? Is it jealousy or are people just that mean spirited that they will try to knock down every accomplishment in an attempt to make their own life seem better. Why cant people just congratulate someone when they catch a once in a life time fish? Analysing backrounds, judging fish by lengths of arms?

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:21 PM »
jealous or greedy or whatever they are i say shame on them.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Is it just me or does it seem that every time someone catches a fish that may be close to a record that the doubters come out of the woodwork? Is it jealousy or are people just that mean spirited that they will try to knock down every accomplishment in an attempt to make their own life seem better. Why cant people just congratulate someone when they catch a once in a life time fish? Analysing backrounds, judging fish by lengths of arms?

Nice fish, ABSOLUTELY!  Fish of a lifetime, not quite.

Lake St. Clair churns this size fish out on an every weekend basis.

Good fish to whoever caught it though, as long as they're happy, it's awesome! Don't need other people's approval.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:37 AM »
my doubt wasn't so much as to where it was caught as the Delaware can produce some nice fish. It was to when it was caught since the river was choked with ice and slush from the West Branch up in NY all the way down to well below the tidal stretches in Philly when I had been told it was caught....too much to open water fish it effectively but no solid ice to ice fish it so given that I was skeptical  ;)

regardless of when it was taken its still a gorgeous fish  ;D

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:43 AM »
it was the week before the single digits cold snap,the ice came soon after

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 AM »
I just got this pic in an email. I have no idea who it is so maybe I'm wrong to post it.  If the guy in pic is on here and doesn't want it on i apologize and I'll take it right down. What a beautifull fish!! I think it's substatially bigger than the one above!!  Caption in the email reads "This was caught thru ice on the allegheny reservoir" the chain of the email is very long and I don't know the 1st several recipients.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 AM »
YEAH THATS THE PIC, SEEMS TO BE REAL HUSH HUSH ALL OVER THE WEB, NO INFO, THOUGHT IF IT WAS A NEW UNOFFICIAL RECORD EITHER STATE WOULD HAVE POSTED SOMETHING, HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE, STILL ONE HELL OF A FISH
A true fish that big, would not have a photo to be taken at "arms extended". We all know the trick ;) Let alone it would be very hard to hold it ouright for the camera if it was as heavy as claimed :)

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I just got this pic in an email. I have no idea who it is so maybe I'm wrong to post it.  If the guy in pic is on here and doesn't want it on i apologize and I'll take it right down. What a beautifully fish!! I think it's substatially bigger than the one above!!  Caption in the email reads "This was caught thru ice on the allegheny reservoir" the chain of the email is very long and I don't know the 1st several recipients.

(Image removed from quote.)
And so does his facila expression as he grunts to hold it out to the camera. Nice fish for sure, but a fish that big as exclaimed would not be that easily portayed with arms stretched. Nice fish, nice try. :)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:29 PM »
I just got this pic in an email. I have no idea who it is so maybe I'm wrong to post it.  If the guy in pic is on here and doesn't want it on i apologize and I'll take it right down. What a beautifull fish!! I think it's substatially bigger than the one above!!  Caption in the email reads "This was caught thru ice on the allegheny reservoir" the chain of the email is very long and I don't know the 1st several recipients.

Theres some true giants in the Zoo and its only a matter of time before the new state record does come from there IMHO. Judging by the hills in the background that does look like thats where she was taken  :)

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:15 PM »
my doubt wasn't so much as to where it was caught as the Delaware can produce some nice fish. It was to when it was caught since the river was choked with ice and slush from the West Branch up in NY all the way down to well below the tidal stretches in Philly when I had been told it was caught....too much to open water fish it effectively but no solid ice to ice fish it so given that I was skeptical  ;)

regardless of when it was taken its still a gorgeous fish  ;D

i live right by the river and pass it on a weekly basis have yet to see it choked with ice this year and im right between trenton and philly

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:15 PM »
It was caught in the Delaware River, PA side, open water, a place called Eddyside (~2 miles north of Easton)... 53 inches... 31 lbs.  ;)

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Dizzy I assume you mean the 1st fish posted in this thread right?

Offline toughneck91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:03 PM »
i wish i had a picture of this fish but my grandpa caught a huge muskie out of kinzua reservoir through the ice about 30 yrs ago and it measured 62 in and weighed i think 48 lbs. he has it mounted above the fire place so next time i go up ill take a pic of it
Rippin' lips and settin' tips

Offline guthookedPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:09 PM »

I don't believe it to be jealousy or having a mean spirit to want to know details surrounding a fish that someone is claiming to be a "record". It is only natural for someone to be skeptical when you take in account of all the internet frauds and photoshopped pictures that have surfaced and been disproved over the years. More often than not, pictures such as this are just that, fraud. I believe the questions being asked about this picture are being asked by people who love the sport and simply want to know the details before they honor it and give their due respect. Everyone wants to be the guy holding the monster fish in the picture hat everyone else is talking about. There is perhaps a little jealousy in all of us and that is why we fish for the big ones and take pictures. That doesn't make us mean spirited. Record or not that fish is gorgeous!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:28 AM »

Dizzy I assume you mean the 1st fish posted in this thread right?

Correct.

Offline yukontcshanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Those are all monster muskies but pa state record is enormous I don't think that muskie would beat it if it was caught in pa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.