The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New electric auger on the market  (Read 2010 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
New electric auger on the market
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I watched this today and it looks pretty nice to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7feP8b4KuM
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: New electric auger on the market
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Yer gonna buy it, aren't ya?  :whistle: I worry about those "blades", and being attached to plastic flighting, but I like it....if you can't do heavy things (like me), it might be just the ticket...
I just looked at the Milwaukee Fuel Series drill...$279 at Home Depot... :pinch:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Naw, I'll keep letting my quad haul my heavy Jiffy for me.  ;D I'll bet I know a few who will have to have one though.  :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:17 PM »
This thing was released a couple years ago - looks like they're back at it again....

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:27 PM »
was worth watching just for the pop ups

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:47 PM »

AGREED!!! Those were great

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:34 PM »

Vexilar and Tom both loose all credibility selling these units. The price is far more than a real auger and the
actual cutting is far slower than any other auger bit. (StrikeMaster, Nils, Ion) I do have all of those blades to compare. I went round and round 3,2,1 year ago (with the designer/manufacturer) as to the cutting ability of
the bit. I was provided different blades to try and all were poor substitutes for a real auger. Also the Milwaukee
drill counter-torque arm is held on by a cast dovetail which comes loose very easily. It is actually quite dangerous to use as when the auger breaks through the ice much more force is exerted on the poor fitting cast dovetail and your wrist.
Caveat Emptor  (let the buyer beware)
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Vexilar and Tom both loose all credibility selling these units. The price is far more than a real auger and the
actual cutting is far slower than any other auger bit. (StrikeMaster, Nils, Ion) I do have all of those blades to compare. I went round and round 3,2,1 year ago (with the designer/manufacturer) as to the cutting ability of
the bit. I was provided different blades to try and all were poor substitutes for a real auger. Also the Milwaukee
drill counter-torque arm is held on by a cast dovetail which comes loose very easily. It is actually quite dangerous to use as when the auger breaks through the ice much more force is exerted on the poor fitting cast dovetail and your wrist.
Caveat Emptor  (let the buyer beware)

Do you have a video of your comparison? I'd like to see it as I'm looking at several, but haven't decided.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Looks promising-- can the auger be used w/ other quality cordless drills i.e. RIDGID Hyper-Lithium X4 w/ lifetime free batteries?
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Nils makes an auger just for use with a cordless drill...

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Lifetime chipper blades on this puppy? That's a deal maker right there. Been through 5 Lazer blade sets to date...

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Agree that the pop ups were great!

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:59 AM »
I bought the Vexilar K-Auger and for my money, the Jiffy is gonna be up for sale! I run mine with a DeWalt 20v Lithium Ion cordless drill and have drilled 26 holes in 8 inch ice and it never slowed down. Everyone who has tried it wants one. The ads claim 20 holes in 24 inch Ice on one battery. Cold doesn't bother Lithium batteries. The chippers and point are made of very hard tool steel and are never supposed to be needing sharpened. They are razor sharp! It has less torque against my arms than my Jiffy 30 and cuts faster. The plastic (?) fluting has a lifetime guarantee and doesn't leave the ice in the hole when your done cutting. Next to my Vex 22, this is the best thing I've bought in over 30 years of ice fishing! Just saying.

SF

p.s. Also is supposed to open old holes without undue jumping around. I have not tested that yet.
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I bought the Vexilar K-Auger and for my money, the Jiffy is gonna be up for sale! I run mine with a DeWalt 20v Lithium Ion cordless drill and have drilled 26 holes in 8 inch ice and it never slowed down. Everyone who has tried it wants one. The ads claim 20 holes in 24 inch Ice on one battery. Cold doesn't bother Lithium batteries. The chippers and point are made of very hard tool steel and are never supposed to be needing sharpened. They are razor sharp! It has less torque against my arms than my Jiffy 30 and cuts faster. The plastic (?) fluting has a lifetime guarantee and doesn't leave the ice in the hole when your done cutting. Next to my Vex 22, this is the best thing I've bought in over 30 years of ice fishing! Just saying.

SF

Sounds promising!

p.s. Also is supposed to open old holes without undue jumping around. I have not tested that yet.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:44 AM »
I wonder how many holes u can get with the 8in Bit. Im sure it has to cut down on the # of holes u can drill compared to the 6in.

Im a huge fan of products that serve a dual purpose. And this is one of those products..

Seriously contemplating returning my Ion in favor of one of these.....
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Pretty slick. If my Eskimo ever breaks down I will look into this. I just have one problem with these drill types.  Almost every drill I have owned the bites I use sometimes falls out. Even when just drilling and not reversing. I guess that is why they have the foam to make it float.
<===Lefty===

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Nils makes an auger just for use with a cordless drill...

I contacted Nils about their new convertible hand/cordless auger
Only come in 6in. They run on avg about $130 and have a 2yr warranty. If you want to drill overlapping holes, for those bigger fish, youll need to purchase their head with the center point for $45.
So your now looking at about $175 to do the job that K-Drill does (K-Drill is $55 more). But the K-Drill blades and Flutes have a lifetime warranty, and never need to be sharpened.
Thats the deal sealer for me over the Nils.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.