Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Sep 21, 2014, 02:03 AM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
7th Annual Fishing Derby will be held January 28 & 29 2012 Fish For A Cure

Author Topic: Size Hooks?  (Read 992 times)

brookiechaser

• IceShanty Rookie

Size Hooks?
« on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:48 AM »
Headed up to a lake opening this weekend. I generally use size 4 snell hooks the big togue I have caught were barely lip hooked which is good because I could release them nice and quick but have lost more than caught. Should I be using a bigger hook like a size 2..fishing with 4+" Shiners and suckers I hate leaving a hook in a fish do circle hooks work well ice fishing..If so what size?  Thanks
Kids screaming and chasing flags...... that is what it is about!

MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Re: Size Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Headed up to a lake opening this weekend. I generally use size 4 snell hooks the big togue I have caught were barely lip hooked which is good because I could release them nice and quick but have lost more than caught. Should I be using a bigger hook like a size 2..fishing with 4+" Shiners and suckers I hate leaving a hook in a fish do circle hooks work well ice fishing..If so what size?  Thanks

Size 8s here. The last thing I want is a big hook hanging out of my bait. Keep it small IMO. Circles do work well as well.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Size 8s here. The last thing I want is a big hook hanging out of my bait. Keep it small IMO. Circles do work well as well.

x10000000000000
Proud winner of the 2013 Digger award.

outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:00 AM »
I find that size 6 and 4 work well for togue.

brookiechaser

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Thanks I was always under.the impression that small worked well. I always felt lakers were kind of.like striped bass and finicky when it came to feeling big hooks in the bait

outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:57 AM »
Do you find that size 8s work well for brookies and browns as well? I use 6 because whenever I have flags with size 8s the fish never take it, I was thinking it was because the hook was to small

Ross Lake Camps

• IceShanty Fishing Guide
  • Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:45 AM »
It's all about the presentation. Size 8's are great because they are easy to hide in the bait and little damage if hooked properly.

MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Do you find that size 8s work well for brookies and browns as well? I use 6 because whenever I have flags with size 8s the fish never take it, I was thinking it was because the hook was to small

I don't fish for brookies really, but they work fine on browns as well as the brookies I have caught.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

brookiechaser

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:57 AM »
When trolling for togue I have taken a needle and run line  down through bait out the back side and put a treble on and then feed the eye of the treble into the fish. two of the hooks fit on side of fish with one pointing down. Ever try that ice fishing or with just a single hook. I have had good luck with size 6 for salmon and trout

gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I guess I'm a little against the grain on this one because I use Eagle Claw wide gap #4's due to the wide variety of fish we have here.  I get very few gut hooked fish with these and makes releasing a little easier imo. :tipup:

outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:49 AM »
I don't fish for brookies really, but they work fine on browns as well as the brookies I have caught.
Do you find you gut hook more fish with bigger or smaller hooks?

MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:58 AM »
When trolling for togue I have taken a needle and run line  down through bait out the back side and put a treble on and then feed the eye of the treble into the fish. two of the hooks fit on side of fish with one pointing down. Ever try that ice fishing or with just a single hook. I have had good luck with size 6 for salmon and trout

That's kind of what i do when trolling as well. I've done it on the ice when fishing a big dead bait to try and give it more of a natural look when floating. Never done it with a live bait

Do you find you gut hook more fish with bigger or smaller hooks?

Haven't fishing anything bigger than a 6 in a while. If i bring the fish to the hole and can't see the hook I just cut the line. Not sure if they are gut-hooked or just hooked deeper in the mouth, try not to do much poking and probing.

Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:52 AM »
All I know is my brother says my hooks are too big!   :%$#!:

outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:58 AM »
All I know is my brother says my hooks are too big!   :%$#!:
I use mostly size 6 hooks, but when I go pike or striper fishing that's a different story. My uncle tells me the same thing, but at least we are ready for when the giants come through haha

Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »
no matter what I am fishing for, I always like at least one big bait on, so always have at least 1 or 2 big hooks.  Just kinda drives him nuts that each of my traps has a different hook on it and my leaders....  well let's just say I'm not much of a trout guy for a reason!  That's ok, I can jig like a mad man!

Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I usually use #6 for brook trout/salmon. When I go for togue, I put on #4's if I have big bait. I don't mind biting off my leaders on gut hooked fish I wish to release. Usually have several spare hooks on leaders ready to go.
OT, I often wonder how well (if at all) the fish survives with a hook in its' gut, mouth, or gill? I often heard that the hook begins to dissolve in a few days. I hope this is true cause I frequently leave the hook in on released fish unless I can remove it quickly with ease.
It must be something in the water.

Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:58 AM »
I've cut open fish with rubber worms in them, but never found one with a hook inside it...  The must either dissolve/rust or the fish dies, one or the other...

JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Caught in late July.  I have no way of knowing for sure but I suspect it was released during icefishing season.

Proud winner of the 2013 Digger award.

outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I've cut open fish with rubber worms in them, but never found one with a hook inside it...  The must either dissolve/rust or the fish dies, one or the other...
Usually over time the hook works itself out

woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Big fish Big hooks,Small hooks small fish.   size six Bait hook.....

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved