The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils not cutting right.  (Read 11642 times)

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nils not cutting right.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Like any piece of good equipment you have to take good care of it. I have went though all brands of hand augers and a few gas auger . My Nils 6 inch is the best of them all, hands down!!! One only thing I don't mine the little guard on the blade, it works for me!!! Nice ;D

Well, I'm going to put in an order for a replacement head then send the old one out, because I need to cut holes this weekend and I'm not waiting around on anyone else to start fishing.

I am just really perplexed about this but I'm willing to try another head and if the other one comes back in good shape then I will have a backup.

If you see a guy out on the ice carrying around a long Pelican Case that will be me with my auger.

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 AM »
Wow! Now im not feeling so guilty mine cuts bad.....theyre definately getting a phone call.

Offline graywolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:34 AM »
 ;) Here in ND we have a lot of wind blown sand on Lake Sakakawa and the Missouri River.  A whole lot more since the big flood last year.  Take ANY auger with shaver blades be it Niles, SM Lazer, Eskimo, Mora, Ion, no matter what kind or how expensive and you are looking at a resharpening after hitting just a TINY BIT OF SAND.  The blades still feel sharp enough to shave and will still cut you  ::) instantly if careless.  Usually the sand is very hard to see unless you get on your knees and really look for minute specs on the ice surface.  Sometimes you have a thaw - wind - freeze cycle with blown sand UNDER the surface of the ice.  You can be half way through a hole and it just stops cutting.  This is one reason Jiffys and SM chipper augers are quite popular here. 

I believe if you pay a lot of money for an auger, you are not going to bang it to remove ice or something else to damage the edge.  Most guys on here know better than that.  Hit any sand, piece of wood, garbage, tire tracks with very small pieces of gravel and shavers just stop cutting.  You didn't do anything wrong, they just dulled instantly. Bite the bullet and get it resharpened.  Carry a spare blade (safely).  I bought a NM the first year they were shown at the St Paul Ice Show, must be 7-8  years ago.  Cut like a banshee, until I hit sand on the second hole.  NM got rave reviews for years in MN, WS, MI simply because of not too much wind blown sand in those states.  Think about hardly any reviews from ND or SD.  There is a reason. And not because we didn't know about them.  I feel Niles Master is the best I have owned, just simply not for our area.  I now have a Takaka power head with the drive shaft milled down and a SM chipper flighting.  A small file usually knocks the burr off when sand is encountered.  Just a little insight from an old fart. 

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Not too different here in Montana, run a chipper or carry a few sets of shavers, you'll need them.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Had the same thing happen on a trip to Maine. Nils 8" hand auger cut great for a couple outings then started to skip and not cut.
Lucky my buddy took his Jiffy power auger with him.
I sent the blade/head out to be sharpened it's fine now cut about 20 holes no problems...yet
Also ordered a spear head/blade

smitty :tipup:

Offline DrowningTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:10 AM »
I had similar issues a couple weeks ago. The temp was hovering around -15 in the morning and there was 4 inches of powdery snow on top of the ice. The first hole cut great, the second hole was a little harder, and the third and the fourth were just spinning. I noticed the powdery snow was immediately sticking and freezing to the auger when I would pull it out of the hole at the end of the cut, making the next cut harder. What I did to fix it was at the end of each hole I would pull the auger out, kick the snow away from the hole, dunk the auger back in the hole (in an attempt to clean the powdery stuff off), dunk the auger 4-5 times, and then move to the next hole. Also, I would make sure to kick the powdery snow out of the area of my next cut. It worked well the last few holes.

Since then I have been out a couple more times when temps have been in the 20's and the auger works like a dream.

Not sure if this sounds familiar to your situation but I hope it helps.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Last season the temps were never really too cold and I never had build up of ice on the auger, this year I have been out in -10 temps and it hasn't really been above freezing at all and I know ice was sticking to the blade somewhat, but I never thought it would make that big of a difference. I know the pam cooking spray trick is used my many, but what about regular de-icer spray, I have a can in my car I never use, will that work as well as cooking spray?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:31 PM »
I had a similar issue with the Nils I bought this year. Mind you, this is the second Nils I've purchased and I love these augers. Here's a copy of the email between myself and Nils USA.

Travis,

Thank you for contacting us again. Just to clarify, there are no issues with our cutting heads. Unfortunately all shaver type cutting heads will go dull if drilled into sand or any other abrasive material. Conditions such as flowing water near river mouth or shallow rivers in general will always have sand embedded into ice. Also conditions such as minimal snow coverage will have dusting effect on the ice embedding dirt and sand into it and dulling your auger blade prematurely. Under normal conditions the service life for our cutting head is between 7000 and 800 holes. We have had many professional customers who open holes and drill new holes daily with over 14000 holes drilled before re-sharpening was needed. As previously stated during our phone conversation please send your auger to our service facility in MA. They will inspect your cutting head to rule out possible defects and they will contact you with their findings.

Brgds, JP

-----Original Message-----From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:40 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Dull Blades

I purchased an 8" nils hand auger in December and started using it this January and on my fourth trip of the year i noticed that it would slip while drilling a hole. Now it will barely drill a single hole. I purchased the 8" because i loved the 6" nils that i used for 2 seasons with no issues. This seems to be a common occurrence this year for other customers. I checked the forums on Iceshanty.com and this seems be a problem this year. I've been a diehard fan of Nils Master augers for the past two seasons but when there are multiple reports of the Cadillac of augers dulling within a few outings there could be an issue. I called Nils USA and was directed to a place to send the blades for sharpening but at my cost. I feel that when you buy the best auger out there you should be able to get more than a months use out of it. This my second Nils so i know how to take care of the blades. I hope that Nils Master will work to fix my issue as well as the issues other customers are having. I know from experience that there isn't a ice auger in the US that can compete with a Nils.

Travis Hamilton

I guess I'm disappointed in this level of customer service. I expected a little more from Nils. 

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:05 PM »
The point about limited snow is a good one, but then again I used mine all last year and we had limited snow then and I'm fishing the same spots.

You shouldn't have to feel like you are operating a delicate lab quality scientific instrument and worrying about the slightest bump or a single grain of sand rendering the your tool useless, but what the hell do I know.

I ordered a new head today and all I have to say is it better last more than 75 holes.

Offline phishn704

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 PM »
That is pretty much the exact conversation I had with the Nils customer service.  He wont admit to anything or do anything to help you rather than offer where to ship your head for sharpening. 

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:22 AM »
I'll never use another auger but im very disappointed by the level of customer service. Blame the customer isn't  cool. I guess they can do it because they know they have the best auger out there.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I'll never use another auger but im very disappointed by the level of customer service. Blame the customer isn't  cool. I guess they can do it because they know they have the best auger out there.

And the othe rway to look at it is that the auger really costs $125 plus $55 for an extra head since one seems necessary in order to have 100% up time during the season if you have the misfurtone of running into a grain of sand or looking at the blade crooss eyed.

Of course that doesn't include the cost to ship it out and get the head sharpened back up, straightened out, or whatever these guys do to get a blade cutting again after it dies.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:21 PM »
How was the condition of the head in particular the red painted head?  I had some extra cabelas bucks and after having my wing nut break on my lazer, I figured I would try out the 6 inch nils since a fishing buddy already has the 4.5 inch nils and I have an extra in case something like that happens again. The new 6 inch Nils head has paint missing already in a bunch of spots and it looks almost like the head was repainted because its not smooth like a 1st time paint job. It looks like there are multiple layers of paint? I am wondering if some reconditioned heads are being sold? Should the bottom of the cutting head have these multiple layers of paint?, I would think a new head should be smooth like table top? The silver handle also has some semi significant scrapes on one side? It has not been on the ice yet, but Im wondering if I should send it back before trying it out?  I don't really care too much about blemishes or some scrapes as it is an augar afterall and I'm sure the paint comes off if used regularly.....Anyone have any insight or similar experiences.

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Bought an 8" last season.  First time out I was absolutely floored at how good it was.  Second time I noticed a huge decrease in performance and so on.  I sent it to Frank this year, 6 or so times out drilling plenty of holes and the thing is amazing.  I swear Frank sharpens them better than they come out of the factory.  I was ultra careful handling mine after reading a ton about downpressure, banging, etc. and out of the box it seemed sharp as heck but since Frank got his hands on it I could not be happier.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline wawaseebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I wouldn't give ya a dime for a truckload of Nils. Stick with Lazer   :tipup:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:08 PM »
How was the condition of the head in particular the red painted head?  I had some extra cabelas bucks and after having my wing nut break on my lazer, I figured I would try out the 6 inch nils since a fishing buddy already has the 4.5 inch nils and I have an extra in case something like that happens again. The new 6 inch Nils head has paint missing already in a bunch of spots and it looks almost like the head was repainted because its not smooth like a 1st time paint job. It looks like there are multiple layers of paint? I am wondering if some reconditioned heads are being sold? Should the bottom of the cutting head have these multiple layers of paint?, I would think a new head should be smooth like table top? The silver handle also has some semi significant scrapes on one side? It has not been on the ice yet, but Im wondering if I should send it back before trying it out?  I don't really care too much about blemishes or some scrapes as it is an augar afterall and I'm sure the paint comes off if used regularly.....Anyone have any insight or similar experiences.

2x this is how my head looks too I have allot of paint chipping off and after the hole gets started it just stops cutting for a few cranks I just got it also. I have only used it 5 times. What is going on here I really wish I would have seen this thread 3 weeks ago >:(
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:11 PM »
We all do considering we drop $100-$150 on worlds best auger and get worlds fastest dulling auger........my old mora held an edge longer than this. Not saying it cut better but the cut lasted longer.

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:11 PM »
I use the 6" Nils w/ Sears 19.2V drill. Works like a charm. Been getting some funny looks from others but then they like it. One thing you have to be careful of & it might be some of the problems others are having w/ it, is to be careful not to bang the cutting head on the ice when taking it back out of the hole. It tends to catch because of the size of the business end & you must be careful bringing it up & out. FWIW
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:52 PM »
My head looks in good shape and no paint flakes or anything like that and I would think that it is fairly normal for that paint to come off.

On a new blade though, that seems sketchy.

And who new you needed hands like a surgeon to use this cutting instrument without destroying it.

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Very valid point^^ whoever makes the next hand auger that cuts like a nils and holds an edge like a chipper will have my vote. I just don't get how the steel cant hold the edge with proper care. They must either be losing quality in general or had a bad batch......did anyone else feel as though the handles are pretty cheap too?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:37 PM »
I get at least 5 years between sharpenings on mine, on average 1000 holes a season....

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:56 PM »
I get at least 5 years between sharpenings on mine, on average 1000 holes a season....

How long you been a surgeon?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Carpenter by trade, I take care of it but use it...When I ran a Lazer I was lucky to get a seaon on a set of blades...

Offline thehackleguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:10 AM »
I guess they can do it because they know they have the best auger out there.

This won't last for long if they don't have good customer service.  I just bought one, but had I read this post a few weeks ago I would have not ordered it.

On a side note I wonder if they are rolling the edge like on a good steak knife.  In otherwords, has anyone tried running a steel or ceramic V over the blade in a pinch to see if it helped it start cutting again?  If mine stops cutting on me I'll try it and post what happens.

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Are they making these heads out of Chinese steel or something? Like the Mora blades a few years ago.
Never heard of these issues several years ago.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:48 AM »
it has to be the steel! these were the best thing going a few weeks ago. after reading this thread im not sure if i want one or not! probably overhead prices forcing cut backs like a lot of companies. down greading quality seems to be the norm these days.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:40 AM »
I'm definitely thinking they tried some new steel or something.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Ya know, the more and more I hear about these "faster cutting, lighter, no gas fumes, new and improved" augers, the happier I am each and every time I drag out my 40 year old, 36 pound Jiffy Model 30.

Ain't an auger out there that will EVER compare from a reliability or a durability standpoint.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I'm definitely thinking they tried some new steel or something.

I would believe that but it doesn't explain the fact that after resharpening they cut great. Wouldn't that indicate a problem elsewhere. Like in the factory sharpening process? Not in the steel? Same steel.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Maybe they send the heads to china for sharpening.
When they are resharpened do they hold up and are people happy with them?
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.