Author Topic: Ice fishing lost a young pioneer and Guide Today...R.I.P. Jim Hudson  (Read 6031 times)

Offline gladstoned

• IceShanty Rookie
Terrible tragedy. My prayers go out to the Hudson family.
Lake Superior is awfully greedy when it comes to people, it seems.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wow!?!? What are you supposed to say in these instances? My first thought is that he died doing what he loves, right? But then the overwhelming reality of reality sets in that a man died. A man died. Inevitably we all will, but hopefully not so untimely. I love my life, and those that I have chose to call my family. I have had close friends and family die of "circumstance". I want to say my heart goes out to his family, but is that good enough? Life is so fleeting and precious. I think that all we can do in these rare times is really take the time to think about what is important in our lives and think about the ones that we love. Leave no word unsaid, leave no embrace undone, no kind word unsaid. Your love must leave a ripple in the pond. None of us are perfect, but we all mean something to somebody.
 I am a fishing guide and I try to make a living at it. Life is not always easy and sometimes it does not matter what precautions we take the grim reaper takes us at his will. What I'm saying may be wrong but I feel the only way to deal with these very unfortunate realities is to embrace life and try to better our lives and those around us. Love those people in your life that have seen something in you that nobody else saw. Live your life and do what you want to do. This all sounds like the typical BS that that you hear but its true. I have been through my older brother dying and my best friend in high school. I have dealt with all of this. This is not stuff to take lightly or to take too seriously, all we have is this life. And none of us will get out alive! Sounds corny and kitschy but its true. Take care all, and my condolences to Mr. Hudson's family. :'(

Very well written!
Jim was very respected in the fishing business world, never heard a negative word said about him. He did things out of the goodness of his heart and to educate, RIP Jim... Prayers to all who knew him...

Offline scottsville

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Prayers for Jim Hudson
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:33 AM »
very sad r.i.p. Jim

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
An untimely tragedy.......... my thoughts and prayers go out to Jim's family and friends.

Every time I hit the ice, and especially on the very coldest days, I think of Jim. Some years ago he posted a Sno-Suit for sale on lake link well before ice season. I asked him about it and it seemed to be a lot more than I was looking for. A few weeks later I won a musky tournament and had some extra cash so I contacted him again. Still didn't have any takers.

I deer hunt on Madeline Island so we made an arrangement to meet so I could inspect the goods. We met at the ferry and I was impressed with the quality (of course) it looked new, and the price was about two thirds of retail. Turns out it was some promo gear he was given for his In-Fisherman spot. Since he had other promo gear from both Strikemaster and Vexilar he was obligated to wear it was really never going to be used by him.

I made him a cash offer and he accepted. Now a little bit of Jim is with me every time I fish.

On another note, my wife has been battling ovarian cancer for going on three years; the outlook is not good. Often it's very hard for her to stay positive and focus on what is right in front of her. Things like Jim's tragedy should be a lesson to all of us, no matter what our situation is, that no one knows when their time will come. It has nothing to do with being good or bad or whether or not it's deserved; it just is. The previous advice to enjoy life each and every day is right on.

Jim, may your lines always be tight.............. and again, my deepest sympathy to his family.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jim was the featured Fishing Guide with John Gillespie on Wisconsin's Water & Woods TV show this week.  I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but he seemed like one of those guys you couldn't help but like - probably one reason his Guide Service was so successful.  My deepest sympathies to Jim's family.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
Very sad,  Always hate hearing about accidents on the hard water.  It is a love, and a passion out there but it is also a very dangerous place.  RIP
A bad day on a frozen lake is still better than a good day doing ANYTHING else  :o

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Very sad news my prayers go out for the family. How long will it be before we have snowmobiles that float for ice fishing, something similar to a jet ski? So you maybe only get wet up to your waist. I have seen to many die this year already on snowmobiles going through the ice, one guy I knew only about 20 miles from me on early ice.

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
So sad. I met him at a fishing show. What a loss this is. He was a great guy. Very likable. Words cannot describe my feelings.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  My condolences to the extended Hudson Family!! As suggested one of my jigs will honor him this week! R I P Sir...
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just goes to show you how no matter how experienced you are with ice you are never completely safe. Take a note boys, be careful out there.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
There is no such thing as SAFE ice. R.I.P god bless the family
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have known Jim for over 15 years.   That was not enough!  A good friend, great man and as said above -  a great fisherman.

Offline spotman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PILE EM UP!!!!!!!!!
What a great person and a guide , just watched him on the gillespie show he was so young way to early to go , God Bless his family  :'(  RIP JIM
JIG TILL YOUR RAWWWW!!!!!!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Jim Hudson (Hudson's on the spot guide service) passed away
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Not sure how many on here knew him, he was an outstanding ambassador for fishing . An accomplished guide ,and great guy. I watched some video's on you tube. He always had some great tips... He went through the ice on Lake Superior and was in the water over 45 minutes .  He was airlifted to Duluth but was unable to be revived .  Keep his family in your prayers .
R.I.P. Jim

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/256847/

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
R.I.P. Jim, condolences to his family
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
So sorry for your loss.

Offline NYJigger72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rip Jim. Condolences to the family.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
Hope he makes it.
Master Laker taker.

Offline buckfordave

• Team IceShanty Regular
so sorry for the Loss

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was totally shocked when I heard what happened to Jim. I never meet him but always wanted too. I enjoyed seeing him on the fishing shows and reading his posts on LL. He seemed like the kind of person you wanted to get to know. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Offline beeverfishingscatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDWATER CHICK :)
sorry to say im too new to this to know who this is but just from the posts i cant tell he was an amazing person...im sorry for his loss to this sport but mainly to his family and friends....such a shame to have a life cut short..... RIP Mr Hudson.....may the Spirits find you and show you the best fishing you had ever imagined
one old fisherman's catch of a lifetime ;) 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>   HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WOW, is all I can say :'(
Just as shocking as Jose Wejebe last year...the Fish Gods have taken another GREAT one :angel
AW

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
that sucks for anyone be safe out there.
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sad Day
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:05 AM »
For all of you that don't get on the Wisconsin board I wanted to post it here too. We lost a great guide and fisherman on Saturday. Jim Hudson of "Hudson's on the spot" guide service died. Fell threw the ice off of Long Island in lake superior. For more of the story go to the Wisconsin board. I did not know him personal but had met him a few times. He was a great guy and will be missed.
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks for posting the link.

It sure gives a clearer understanding and insight to what Jim was about. Especially for those of us that hadn’t the privilege of meeting and knowing  him.

WS

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
WOW...i remember reading about him in infishermen, prayers go out to his family
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline Stevedave

• IceShanty Rookie
RIP   he has some great vids

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The words are so hard to come by when thinking it could have been me or anybody eles
For that matter . No we weren't close but thou ice fishing we were ice brothers ..

Gone'a miss you buddy ether on or off the ice ..
Here is a update from Hannah's face book if anybody wants it
Status Update
By Hannah Stonehouse Hudson
For Jim: Sunday at the Bayfield Pavilion. Gathering starts at 11, service at 2. Super Bowl gathering after (he would have wanted me to add that ;))?
Many more details to follow. I cannot wrap my brain around all of this goodness. THANK YOU.
Hard Ice

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
I live down in NE part of the state and although I never met Jim in person or even talked to him on Lake-Link, I always followed his posts, pictures, and articles.  He really knew his stuff up there on the bay and even inland waters.  From reading posts from people who knew him, it sounds like the impression I had of him rings true; a guy who would give you the shirt of his back if you asked.  If this could happen to Jim, a man who knew that area and the conditions like the back of his hand, it can happen to anyone.   A great loss to the ice fishing and Bayfield communities.  RIP Jim, you left here way too young.  Prayers sent to his family and friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.