Author Topic: Ice fishing lost a young pioneer and Guide Today...R.I.P. Jim Hudson  (Read 6040 times)

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice fishing extraordinaire, expert and guide Jim Hudson fell through the ice today while guiding on Lake Superior. He is in critical condition. Thoughts and prayers to go out to his family. Hang in there Jim!
Andrew

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Prayers for Jim Hudson
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:54 PM »
R.I.P Jim  :(
Andrew

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Sad.  :(
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Damn  :-\

Offline WhiskyCrappie52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:21 PM »
RIP Jim what a nice and good Guy. Always willing to help a Guy get onsome fish if you seen him at the baitshop in Ashland. His posts on LL were awesome always willing to help people get on fish. Catch a a lot of Browners and Lakers in heaven Jim :tipup:

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:30 PM »
http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/s2910366.shtml

My thoughts go out to him family and friend
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Very sad to hear my thoughts go out to his family :tipup:
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Thoughts an prayers to the family :/
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Thats to bad  :'(

Offline papermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "crappies on ice thats nice"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Just saw it on FB very sad!!!

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Sorry to hear.Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline paullo19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I met him a few times at sports show and he was always pleasant to talk to,great guy,down to earth... He will be greatly missed!!! So sad , very sad...

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:10 PM »
What a huge loss to the ice fishing community. The amount of knowledge and experience that man had an brought to us through the years will definitely be missed. If everyone could drop a jig in his memory this week I bet thats how he would want to be remembered!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Very tragic for this to happen to any of us ice anglers.  He was an ice fishing icon for sure.  My prayers go out to his family.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline ICatchLilFishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • >))))> Keep your poles on the ice!!! <((((<
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:44 PM »
RIP Jim an amazing fisherman
  “Bring It”

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Deeply saddened of the loss of a great educator and great ambassador to the sport........ shocked, stunned, speechless
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2013, 10:24 PM »
 :( R.I.P. Jim

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2013, 10:32 PM »
 :'(  sad day indeed. prayers to his family

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
Man dies after snowmobile goes through ice on Lake Superior
A 34-year-old man died Saturday afternoon after his snowmobile went through the ice on Lake Superior offshore from Bayfield.
By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune

James Hudson, a fishing guide from Bayfield, broke through the ice in the channel between Long Island and the mainland, the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office reported.

Authorities received a call of a person in the water shortly at 1:07 p.m. Saturday. Rescue crews, including the U.S. Coast Guard, responded to the scene. At about 1:38 p.m., rescuers from the La Pointe Volunteer Fire Department and the Madeline Island wind sled reported that they had pulled Hudson from the lake.

Hudson was transported to Memorial Medical Center in Ashland, and then airlifted to Essentia Health St. Mary’s Medical Center in Duluth, where he was pronounced dead.

The incident remains under investigation by the Ashland County Sheriff’s Office and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Frozen Snot....It's a fashion statement!

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2013, 11:30 PM »
 My prayers go out to Jim's family. Jim was a guide that John Gillespie had on Wisconsin Waters and Woods several times and the show that was recorded this week that aired today here in the Chicagoland area featured Jim and his guide service in the Ashland area catching some nice Brown Trout. The Ice conditions I saw on the show seemed like the Ice wasn't all that great for ATV travel, it looked real thin. I don't know the the circumstances in which this life ending tragedy happened, but this was a very Tragic ending for a truly experienced Guide. Stay safe everyone. 

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow, what else is there to say except that really sucks.

Be careful out there.

Please update with the official cause of death, these incidents, while brutal and sucky, serve as a very effective warning tool for those of us that venture out onto the ice each winter to do what we love.

I would really like to see an ice related death database, much like what is found in the climbing world--no BS or stories, just the plain facts of what happened and why so that others can learn from these tragic events.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Always sad to here of incidents like this drives home the point that no matter how much experience you have ice fishing that anything can happen at any time. My prayers to his family and friends.

Steve

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2013, 01:32 AM »
was definately a blind sider getting this call today, we truly lost a great fisherman and friend today, im glad i got the chance to talk to him one more time yday before this happened, as for the ice on C Bay, it always looks thinner than it is due to water color and clarity, however the area where he went in today is where the bay drops off into the real deep water of Lake Superior, that area freezes over late and some years not at all but the lake trout there are huge, cant comment on how the ice is in that area but i would guess pretty thin, in any case this absolutely sucks and im beyond shocked, RIP buddy.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
This is shocking...

Thoughts and Prayers go out to him, his family and friends.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline redneckrance

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Damn the Man
Wow!?!? What are you supposed to say in these instances? My first thought is that he died doing what he loves, right? But then the overwhelming reality of reality sets in that a man died. A man died. Inevitably we all will, but hopefully not so untimely. I love my life, and those that I have chose to call my family. I have had close friends and family die of "circumstance". I want to say my heart goes out to his family, but is that good enough? Life is so fleeting and precious. I think that all we can do in these rare times is really take the time to think about what is important in our lives and think about the ones that we love. Leave no word unsaid, leave no embrace undone, no kind word unsaid. Your love must leave a ripple in the pond. None of us are perfect, but we all mean something to somebody.
 I am a fishing guide and I try to make a living at it. Life is not always easy and sometimes it does not matter what precautions we take the grim reaper takes us at his will. What I'm saying may be wrong but I feel the only way to deal with these very unfortunate realities is to embrace life and try to better our lives and those around us. Love those people in your life that have seen something in you that nobody else saw. Live your life and do what you want to do. This all sounds like the typical BS that that you hear but its true. I have been through my older brother dying and my best friend in high school. I have dealt with all of this. This is not stuff to take lightly or to take too seriously, all we have is this life. And none of us will get out alive! Sounds corny and kitschy but its true. Take care all, and my condolences to Mr. Hudson's family. :'(

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Very sad out come for all involved, friends and family.

WS

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
God bless him and his family.  Be careful out there.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow!?!? What are you supposed to say in these instances? My first thought is that he died doing what he loves, right? But then the overwhelming reality of reality sets in that a man died. A man died. Inevitably we all will, but hopefully not so untimely. I love my life, and those that I have chose to call my family. I have had close friends and family die of "circumstance". I want to say my heart goes out to his family, but is that good enough? Life is so fleeting and precious. I think that all we can do in these rare times is really take the time to think about what is important in our lives and think about the ones that we love. Leave no word unsaid, leave no embrace undone, no kind word unsaid. Your love must leave a ripple in the pond. None of us are perfect, but we all mean something to somebody.
 I am a fishing guide and I try to make a living at it. Life is not always easy and sometimes it does not matter what precautions we take the grim reaper takes us at his will. What I'm saying may be wrong but I feel the only way to deal with these very unfortunate realities is to embrace life and try to better our lives and those around us. Love those people in your life that have seen something in you that nobody else saw. Live your life and do what you want to do. This all sounds like the typical BS that that you hear but its true. I have been through my older brother dying and my best friend in high school. I have dealt with all of this. This is not stuff to take lightly or to take too seriously, all we have is this life. And none of us will get out alive! Sounds corny and kitschy but its true. Take care all, and my condolences to Mr. Hudson's family. :'(

Very well put, I hope everyone that visits this site reads this post.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
So unfortunate.  My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone close to Jim.

Offline royjboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
TinkerJohn... Lost my brother almost a year ago. he was only 27. The same way of thinking was instilled into me since.
Do what you do BEST + Do what you love the MOST = a HAPPY life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.