Author Topic: cFish R-1 camera  (Read 16244 times)

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
cFish R-1 camera
« on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:35 AM »
Guys I've read several pages back and also did a search with no luck...if its a repost and I messed it sorry, just point me in the right direction.

cFish R-1 underwater camera, anyone have this unit or has seen in out on the ice?  Read about the unit from the factory but have only found one post so far from another site.

After using the camera I have I can see were this one would come in handy.  Finally said heck with it and ordered one this week for my trip next month, will let my buddy use the other.

Any input good or bad would be a great help before it gets here.  Plan on doing a review on it for youtube due to not finding anything but a factory "look at this add".  199 was pretty good and they say they make cuddyback as well...this is a top notch outdoor camera, hope the underwater stuff is the same.

thx and be safe

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cFish R-1 camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Im thinking bout ordering the s1 model how do u get the direct from factory price?

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013, 02:58 PM »
go to cfish dot com.  you can order it straight from them.  saw it other locations with jacked up prices, believe the one you were wanting is 125 on the factory site.

i use my other cam out of the boat in spring and summer but having to hand pan the camera is for the birds.  like the idea of the 360 remote. 

hope this helps

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:01 PM »
I am not trying to bash a company but if you do not know this company is actually Cuddeback trail cameras. Speaking from the hunting side of things their cameras went from first to worst over the past few years. Unfortunately their customer service took the same nose dive as the products. I have no experience with the underwater cameras but my experiences with their trail cameras was enough to steer me away from this product.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:05 PM »
I bought the s1 ill let you know when I get it

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:44 PM »
John, sorry to hear that as I have two of their  deer cam's and no problems..faster than any other cam I've had and like to see the head and not the tail if they are moving fast.

When I was interested in the camera I called the # given on the site.  Got voice mail and left message.  I was out fishing the next day and got a call back from them.  Seemed nice enough to me but I was in the ordering stage and not the returning if ya know what I mean.

monkey, glad to here, my partner was looking at that one.  but he is also wanting me to sale him my other one.  We'll have to see how this new one holds up to LBDN next month before I sale it though.  Nothing fancy but it works and thats all I'm asking of the R-1.  Mine should be here tomorrow and heading to the house boat for a few days this week to check it out...I'll let ya know.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 PM »
It was ethier the s1 or a 5.5 inch fish tv o I en with the s1 has a soft pack and  7 inch flatscreen and to leds

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Got the R-1 today.  The machine looks and feels sturdy, the housing and case looks like it will hold up with no problem.  The remote is not some cheep plastic case..thing feels like you dont have to baby it on the ice.

After plugging the bat. up and conecting the cam to the back it was ready to go.  Two buttons on the top / for left and right movement. If you push the button it will continue to rotate until you hit the pause button.  The two lower buttons will make it move 10 degrees left or right at a time.  The camera is smooth and does not jerk into poss. when you make an adjustment.  Could not hear anything while in motion.

Camera housing also looks sturdy and not cheeply made.  Comes with a padded protective cover that the cam fits into for transport, this attatches to the side of the case. 

Most of this stuff you have already saw or read about but first impressions from me is a sturdy cam that will stand up to the ice and get the job done.

Saw this camera priced much higher at other locations...go factory direct. $199 for what I'm seeing now is a good deal.  Just my 2 cents

The next thing is getting it out Wed. on the water and testing it out for a vid.  If all looks good with it Ill be heading up to the U.P. and lower MI from the 14-26th to put it to work. we'll see.

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:56 AM »
Well I had a chance to get out tonight anyway for a check of how it does at night.  For those that have a camera you know this is the real test anyway.

Water was a little murky.  My old camera had the LED's around the camera lens and with alot of particle matter it just whites out the picture and is useless.  This R-1 has the LED's mounted above the lens at what appears to be an angle down.  LORD what a deff. that makes.  This is under my house boat and the second was same spot just cam turned to another view.  For me, this tells me all I need to know.  The next test will be up north on the ice.

Hope this helps anyone interested in this camera.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 AM »
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:08 PM »
well i got mine but the rain and warm temps and 50 mile per hour wind dicided to destroy my ice so idk when ill be able to test it. i put it in my aquaruim lol wash fun seems built tough

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Mud and trash keeping me in as well.  With the R-1 I found that you need to calibrate the cam to the monitor.  When rotating the camera I found that it was jumping and showing diff. directions.

Read up on it and did what the manual said.  Also due to no ice I was at the house boat so the cable was not inline with the monitor, this caused a problem as well.  I like that the field of view was much wider and far clearer than the other unit I have.

With the light adjusted right you dont get that floodlight look at the top of the screen.  I wanted to really see the cover so I uped it pretty high to look around.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Does anyone know what the warranty is on these?   I called today and left a message.

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:49 AM »
on their website, they say its a 1year moneyback warranty (with receipt)

hope this helps.
ice fishing;  I'm cold just thinking about it! lol

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Has anyone else had any experience with these since the last posts? I have been thinking about adding a camera for a while now and came across this model and decided at this price it is worth a shot.Placed my order tonight.

Offline fishing4u2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Regardless of brand or model, if we are dropping a fixed camera down the hole and hoping to achieve the perspective desired by fooling around with the cable, it can be a time waster, right? 

I've secure the factory cable in a foam hole cover, which is an improvement, but one still doesn't know from topside which way or exactly how far down the lens is, so that is still inefficient.  You can of course mark the cable, but it still won't be read especially well at any distance away.

So last season I took a telescopic pole out, alternately fitted with a small foam block to recieve the camera, or a stout hook for pulling up vegetation.  Worked, but my gosh the aluminum pole was still bulky, not simple, and of course most of all COLD! 

A bamboo pole might be a better choice, except that bamboo's hollow segments means it doesn't want at all to hang straight down.  Sure you could weight it, but I have enough weight n my kit already.

This year I am trying (with an Aqua View Micro) to put the foam block that holds the camera securely on a flexible piece of light, braided steel cable, linked below the ice to a plastic rod with an 'L' bend in the top.  The plastic rod is held in a pre-slip foam hole cover, or it can be slipped by compression into a block of foam mounted on the side of my sled. 

Mark the short plastic pole with its length, add the fixed length of the cable, and keep the coupling to the cable under control (not completely free to pivot), and what you see topside is very much the direction the camera is oriented in.  All that remains is to get the depth right for your screen view, which isn't bad at all since it can be done remotelynwithout handling the factory camera cable or the braided on either. 

Just set the approximate depth needed and orient the plastic rod towards the lure.  Sure beats solving for two unknowns at the same time!  I realize the whole point of the 360 rotating cFish camera is to be able to contol its orientation electonically, but I don't need another thing to find which pocket or bucket or whatever contains it, y'know! 

Since I use the braided steel cable anyway as a tow line, it is no extra weight, really.  Likewise the plastic rod comes in handy for extending my reach, or propping, or poking, or tapping rods, or a dozen other things it seems. 

Those of you thinking about pulling your time-consuming camera out of the dust bin may want to give this approach a try and see what you think.  I realize the FF is the quicker picker-upper, and use them, but its nice to know when those blips are dinks or the 'wrong' species, get a clearer notion of just what exactly is digitally cluttering up our screens, and of course to detect, no make that observe any very tentative lite biters, for hook setting. 

A sniffer holding an inch or two from my jig and so bleeding the returns together is fine for when they are snappin' with vigor and without delay, but the direct visual perspective afforded by a camera is well suited to the other side of that activity level coin.  Then we don't get nearly as many ops under slow-bite conditions, and so to my mind a camera (at least a Micro) can be worth its slight weight in fillets.  Even a spring bobber  (especially in windy weather) may not indicate but a fraction of our takes during the slow times.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Update.

Got the cfish R1 out today for the first time. We went to a lake with a shallow bay that runs about 5' deep looking for panfish and pike. I was very impressed with this camera for the price. We used in in a Clam hub shelter and the ability to rotate the camera 360 degrees was huge. We set it up to rotate continuously and could watch both of our jigs plus a tipup we had set up. We could see the fish as they came in and one of the first was a largemouth bass that came up to my son's jig and we watched it on the camera together as it took the jig and he set the hook and reeled it in.

Other people fishing by us were not marking fish or were marking them only periodically and we would have been thinking the same except we could see the whole surface under the hub and saw the fish coming and going but few were going directly under the transducers of our graphs.

Now, this camera might not be color and may not have all of the capabilities of the high end units but for 200 dollars this is a great unit. I especially recommend if you are getting a camera, to get one with the 360 degree viewing like the R1 has.

Offline Dustin Hofer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:20 AM »
i bought this camera a few weeks ago and had many chances to test it already. i have a Marcum camera also and bought this R-1 out of curiosity and i love it my Marcum will be going up for sale sad part is the Marcum was twice as much money as the cfish R-1 i could see farther clearer and longer into the night without the lights on and when you turn the lights on its just as good at if its day time great camera and i couldn't see any down side to it other than it pure size and weight another perk is i fished with it for almost two days non stop without ever needing to charge it and it never did die incredible battery life and great picture best ive seen so far out of any camera for 200 dolars its stupid not to have this in your bag of tricks

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:50 PM »
How many feet of camera line comes with it.
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline sticksnskullsia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:45 AM »
I've got a cfish r1 camera I used I trip for sale.  Pm me an offer.  Camera works great, just don't fish enough.  Willing to ship it.

Offline handline13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2017, 01:33 PM »
I've got a cfish r1 camera I used I trip for sale.  Pm me an offer.  Camera works great, just don't fish enough.  Willing to ship it.
Still have it for sale?

Offline palmers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Hi
we are wondering if you sold your cfish underwater camera.  we would be interested in purchasing one.  we have had one that we used and the remote is not working anymore.   please let me know.
my phone # is 507 841-2080
or you can email me at [email protected]
Thanks Glenn Palmer

Offline LuckyDogIAm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:07 AM »
I have one of these cameras that is not working.  The company that made them no longer offers support. I have traced the problem down to the little circuit board that attaches the power cord to the battery.  I would like to find a used camera I could scavenge this part from.  Or I would like to purchase a working camera.   Ron 269-760-4056

Offline LuckyDogIAm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:11 AM »
OBTW it is a cFISH camera made by Cuddeback

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.