Author Topic: Ice Fishing Boot Review  (Read 23598 times)

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Boot Review
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Hey all:

I'm hoping to spark some dialogue regarding ice fishing boots.  What have you tried, what did you love, what left you shivering on the ice for hours?  I use Ice Armor boots - I'd rate them about an 7.  My toes still get a tad frosty in temps under 15.  I've heard good things about Cabelas Trans Alaska III boots - how about US Military Bunny Boots rated to -65?  Sportsmen club has them for $40!  What do you think? 

Also - tell us about your sock theory.  Do you go thin as possible to avoid sweat/moisture which can get feet freezing, or are you a thick sock or multilayer advocate? 

Frankly, I still don't think I've really figured out the best combination for my feet. Unless it's 20+ I'm never really warm...hopefully can learn some things from eachother.

Thanks for your input in advance!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fishing Boot Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:36 PM »
I wear muck artic sports and they are much better than what I've ever worn in the past.  My buddy has boggs which are pretty much the same.  For a winter boot that's waterproof I'll never buy something that isn't an insulated rubber boot.  In the past I've worn packboots that are rubber lowers and leather uppers.  They aren't a bad boot for general use but they just aren't waterproof above the ankle making them a poor choice for icefishing or any activity that involves standing in slush or water.

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Great topic you posted here man.... I am also looking at picking up some new ice fishing boots either yet this year or for sure next.  I am looking for something warm but not super big and bulky that will wear you out after walking in them after a long day on the ice.....  What is everyone else using?  I have been looking into an insulated rubber or muck boot of some sort.....  Oops I better edit this post... I forgot to include my "korkers" ice cleats have to be able to fit around them....

Layne

Offline walleye58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Good post started, you will get a lot of opinions here.   I currently have a pair of mickey  (military) boots.  Have had them for over 10 years.  My feet have never been cold in them.  My feet do sweat some,  but even though socks are damp  feet stay warm I wear these when bitter cold or hole hoping.   Other boots I have tried, once socks are damp, feet get cold.  They are not the most comfortable to walk great distances in- that is my bigest complaint. Also have a pair of Mucks the highest insulated one in a camo pattern.  These are also great boots and are more comfortable to walk in than the Mickeys.  My feet have gotten cold in these once or twice but I like them for hunting  and activities where I am moving.  I have been looking at a new boot by the name of Korkers,  they have removable and interchangeable soles.  They also have a lace up system that is turn of a knob-done.  Friend of mine has worn these since Christmas and loves them.  They will probably be my next purchase.   Google---- Korker Ice jack  or snow jack.  I believe they are only 600 and 300 gram insulated, so I don't know how warm they are.  I'm going to check them out a little closer.

Offline sven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 PM »
I have a pair of the Cabela's Trans-Alaska III pac boots and love them!  They are huge, I believe there is a solid 3 inches of insulation from ice to foot and they are difficult to find good cleats for, but I will take that any day of the week over cold feet.  As for socks, I'm a huge fan of the Redhead socks.  They are heavy duty wool socks, which are great for wicking moisture and have a lifetime warranty (hang on to your receipt!).  Bass Pro usually sells these socks for $10/pair.  I believe that you could get away with really light socks with these boots, but I'm not a fan of cold feet!  I usually spend a few days in Devils Lake each year sitting in a 60 degree ice house and have never had a moisture problem.  I would give these boots 10 stars!

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Mucks Artic pro...+ Redhead Marino wool socks = warm and dry....all day long
I've used everything under the sun during my ice fishing ventures and have never found anything better.
I'm sure there are plenty of opinions on boots but You can't go wrong with Mucks........
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I have worn several different boots over the years, but here is the last 3 pair, Rocky 1200 gram, my feet were always cold or seemed like it, 2nd I tried some Cabela's Inferno 2000's, for 1 day, that was enough for me, one word COLD. I now have had my Cabelas Trans Alaska III's out twice, one day high of 13 and 2nd day about a high of 10, starting out at 0-5 above, with just a pair of liner socks and all I can say is I was very impressed, jig fishing, sitting stationary for long periods and my feet only got cool, the fishing wasn't the hottest but my feet were very comfortable, 5 stars for the TA III's. Wished I would have bought these things years ago.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Icenebr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Cabelas 1000gr. insulated boot, Gore-tex.  Ice fishing tent w/ heater.  Hot coffee and soup! ;)

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Ice, you're out of bounds with your additional comments.  Replies should only be on topic:  footwear.

Now, if you meant you place your feet in a bowl of stew/soup or pot of coffee, we can allow this submission.   :)

We used to do brats on the ice...maybe some cheeseburgers.  Wow, do those taste incredible on a super cold day or what?  I think a stew, chowder or chili going all day would be good, too.  Maybe we should try a separate thread for favorite "on the ice" meals? 
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Cabela's 2,000 gram boots, liner sock, Fox River wool socks. Pretty basic, but works for me.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I use cheap wal mart PAC boots. Cotton tube socks with reg wool socks. Ran around 15 sheet metal screws into them. I wear shoes to lake, so feet dont sweat. Topped with carhart bibs hoodie and coat. When water instantly turns to pearls on line jigging, ill use hut or call it.  14 last time out and comfortable.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM »
Neos overshoes with ice cleats. The most convenient, warmest, bestest thing ever invented by man.

Offline Ice Rambo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I use Muck Arctic Pro boots, they are extremely comfortable, warm, waterproof (especially helpful when drilling holes with a power auger) and slip on and off easily.

Offline Lightning4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Neos overshoes with ice cleats. The most convenient, warmest, bestest thing ever invented by man.

x2

THE best boots for ice fishing.  I wear a decent pair of wool socks and a pair of old tennis shoes to the lake, then slip the Neos Stabilicers over my shoes when ready to fish.  Can't remember a time when my feet ever were cold.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:45 PM »
For many many years, I used Mickey Mouse boots.  3 Years ago I went with Muck Arctic Sports.  I cannot go back to the Mickey Mouse boots quick enough.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline g8r slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Cabelas Predator Extremes

Offline Dude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Augergas has hit the nail right on the head.  Forget about any other boot out there.  If you are looking for something comfortable, warm, and all around just top notch, look no further than the Neos by Thorogood.

http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Explorer-Insulated-N-E-O-S-Boots/dp/B007RTBU8S

These boots slip on right over your shoes.  When I ice fish, I wear one pair of thick wool socks in my tennis shoes, and then I throw these bad boys on once I get to the lake.  They are a little wide which can pose issues with driving, but I find that I can use the pedals just fine in my truck without taking them off.  I haven't found a pair of cleats that fit over them too well, but that could be for a lack of effort.  I usually find it fairly easy to walk on ice with these.

I can't recall one day of ice fishing where my feet got cold. I would recommend these all day everyday. Another benefit I find, I can tuck my jeans and long underwear into the boot and then put my outerwear over the boot. This keeps any wind from hitting the ankles and calves. 

If none of this sells you, these are the boots that our local postal worker wears.  They are outside all day everyday, so you know they are using the best of the best.

Offline wishingiwasfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I was very skeptical of the Micky mouse boots but I decieded I would give them a try and let me tell you they are amazing. My feet don't sweat and they are never cold.  I just got them this year and have worn them about 6 times. Water proof and warm and for the price you cant beat them.  50 to 70 bucks by the time they arrive on your door step. Again amazing

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:18 PM »
I use rubber boots with foam insulation from tame actor supply and never have a problem. That being said, I usually never have a problem with cold feet in any situation.

I worked at a ski shop for years and cold feet was the number one thing people always complained about.  In a lot of cases the boot is not the problem.  The member one cause of cold feet is moister, and number two would be circulation.  There are a few things you can do to help before you throw out a decent pair of boots for the next best thing.

-Make sure everything is 100% dry
-Don't drive to the lake in your boots, your feet will sweat on the way
-When u get to the lake, I change my socks and shoes, and use baby powder to dry my feet before putting on the fresh wool socks then my boots
-I don't like multiple socks, just a good wool sock
-make sure your boots are not too tight, lost circulation is a killer
-also, don't "preheat" your boots, it feels good for a min but your feet will sweat instantly

That's what I do and what I did for all my customers.  Works for me.
Hope it helps.

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Sorry, that was supposed to be tractor supply.

Stupid auto correct

Offline hillbill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Muck boots and wool socks can't be beat!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:35 AM »
I've had Mucks, Mousers, and now the Trans Alaskans.  In Mucks your feet will sweat and then you'll be cold.  I've had the same with mousers, although you can walk a bit in mousers and the sweat will heat back up and be toasty again.  The Trans Alaskans are huge but if you want a pair just for icefishing I can't imagine what would be better.  They are 4 lbs a pair.  Take some breaking in.  I would advise getting a half size large for mine were a little tight till I broke in the liner.  Also I saw someone mention they are hard to find cleats for, due to the high profile.  There is a place in valentine ne that molds golf cleats into the sole of the boots.  So you can replace your cleats when they wear down.  This is tough to beat for walking on ice.  Golf cleats are relatively inexpensive and can be replaced one at a time if needed.
Where's the ice

Offline wishingiwasfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots cant be beat for the price.

Offline solidwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Yes the white military [ mickey mouse ] boots have kept my feet warm. I started using them when i was in the military in alaska. I have iced fished in alaska, minnesota.north dakota, montana and wyoming and have never had cold feet. I keep the vent valve closed,wear a liner sock and a heavy sock. They are pretty good on slick ice with out cleats. But with,there great. And those are hard to find. But with a little thinking any good cleats can be made to fit. I'm on my second pair since 1981. The current pair i got from sportsmens guide.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Augergas has hit the nail right on the head.  Forget about any other boot out there.  If you are looking for something comfortable, warm, and all around just top notch, look no further than the Neos by Thorogood.

http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Explorer-Insulated-N-E-O-S-Boots/dp/B007RTBU8S

These boots slip on right over your shoes.  When I ice fish, I wear one pair of thick wool socks in my tennis shoes, and then I throw these bad boys on once I get to the lake.  They are a little wide which can pose issues with driving, but I find that I can use the pedals just fine in my truck without taking them off.  I haven't found a pair of cleats that fit over them too well, but that could be for a lack of effort.  I usually find it fairly easy to walk on ice with these.

I can't recall one day of ice fishing where my feet got cold. I would recommend these all day everyday. Another benefit I find, I can tuck my jeans and long underwear into the boot and then put my outerwear over the boot. This keeps any wind from hitting the ankles and calves. 

If none of this sells you, these are the boots that our local postal worker wears.  They are outside all day everyday, so you know they are using the best of the best.

Get teh Stabilicer model and you can use them anytime it's icy and snowy out for hunting or fishing.

Offline quadshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:59 AM »
I have a bad hip.And I can't even bend down to tie my boots.I remove all the laces on my bunny boots and where nylons and they slide on and off like butta.The only downfall is they make your feet smell like hell! good luck

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Lacross Ice King Boots. Never been cold. I wear a thin wool sock with a heavier wool blend sock over it. Every night the liners come out and the boots go on the boot drier as well as the liner when the boots are dry.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:59 PM »
One thing I have learned about clothing and gear, you can spend too little and buy yourself halfway to what is really needed.  I have learned that good gear performs well and will last a long time.  We snowmobile in the mountains standing up riding bushwacking through the trees in minus 25 below wind and stay warm and laugh at the cold, so we test our gear out while using it.  As for ice fishing, I purchased a pair of Ice Bug brand boots in the Sorix design.  These were supposably developed in Sweden where they know what icebox conditions are. They have retractable carbide cleats built in to the sole and retract somewhat on hard floors.  These worked ok on clear ice but did not grab quite as well if there was a layer of snow.  I am more comfortable with my 1/2 inch cleats when there is a snow layer.  The boots seemed comfortable and warm and they are waterproof, but I have not wore them much yet this season.  I purchased them from Red Rock Store of Ely, Mn.  I bought them online along with a Striker brand Hardwater Ice fishing Coat and Bibs that float and are made in St. Paul, Mn.  I talked to Joe the owner, who was very knowledgeable about his products and definately knows ice fishing gear.  Their prices and shipping are good also.    Happy ice trails, D Hutt

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Sorel Glaciers for me, http://www.sorel.com/Men%27s-Glacier%E2%84%A2-Boot/NM1042,default,pd.html.

I wear a couple pairs of good quality boot socks inside the boots.

To avoid sweating, I never put the boots on until I am at the lake, getting ready to walk out on the ice, then I put the boot socks and boots on and go to it!

My $0.02-worth,

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Stroover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2015, 07:34 PM »
I know this is an old post, but I'm in the market for very good, warm, and waterproof boots for ice fishing all day sometimes standing in slush with temps hovering between -15°C and -30°C. I'm considering the Muck Arctic Pro unless someone can convince me otherwise...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.