The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Kezar Lake  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kezar Lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:42 PM »
I've been staring at this picture of the two baitfish for awhile. The fish has an elongated upper jaw, an upward oriented eye, and it also has a dark lateral line. Very dace like traits. I know Kezar does not list it but that bottom baitfish has to be a dace, probably a monster black nose or a pearl. Or it's a longnose sucker with its mouth at a relay funny angle.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I've been staring at this picture of the two baitfish for awhile. The fish has an elongated upper jaw, an upward oriented eye, and it also has a dark lateral line. Very dace like traits. I know Kezar does not list it but that bottom baitfish has to be a dace, probably a monster black nose or a pearl. Or it's a longnose sucker with its mouth at a relay funny angle.

The top fish is a smelt, no doubt.  You must be referring to the bottom one.  I can't tell from the picture whether the jaw is supposed to be that way or has been messed up through being eaten, smashed, or partially digested.  The dark line on it actually looks like dark muscle (the same line of dark meat you find on most fish right along the skin) rather than a dark line of scales on the outside of the fish.  Based on the apparent subterminal mouth and the slightly robust body, I would suspect that it is a fallfish.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:18 PM »
No doubt. Watchin em run at boulder is a sight.

Offline kmgb42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Alot of big words on here  :woot: ;D ;D
A bad day of fishing will always be better than a good day at work!
(Nate D)

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I never thought that we might be looking at a fish without skin. Its really annoying me that we can't figure out what that fish is in the bottom of the pic. I accept that theres a chance that it might be a fallfish, but the gill plate doesn't have me convinced, the whole head and body shape look more streamlined and tighter than a chub. I change my vote to it being bigfoot. I'll never figure it out based on this pic.

-Dylan

Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.