New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sacandaga 50"+ pike??  (Read 11970 times)

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sacandaga 50"+ pike??
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I got the pic Monday from a guy who lives near Sac. the details that came with the pic are 53 inches and 38 pounds. I have a 42 inch 18 pounder on the wall and the fish in the photo looks twice that size... so, maybe. The guy who sent me the pic is not a BSer but these days there are so many hoaxes around on the net that I can't trust anything any more. I've fished in Manatoba where 50 plus +, 30 pound northerns are not uncommon. The indians there who net commercially tell me they have seen 50 pound northerns. I know NP can get that big but... I guess it is not beyond the realm of possability. I sure would like to see some kind of confirmation. A 38 pound northern? True or not it sure is fun to dream about.

In perspective that fish apppears to be about 6' (72") in the (photoshoped??) pic. Just guessing they knew that no one would believe that so they knocked it back to a more believable 53". I personally hope that it's real though....

Offline REELGREEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Reguardless Its a hog !

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:30 PM »
No one has been able to confirm that it has come from the Resevoir yet from what I heard.
It was 33lbs caught by one of my friends hunting buddy.

Offline witty1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 PM »
if anyone caught this it would have been showed around and not all hearsay.cmon guys get real.haha

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:53 PM »
50# realy?? I have seen a 48" caught in Canada it only went 27 pounds and change, that one from Sweden or wherever it was caught in Europe is pushing 50# ....would take a near 30" or more girth to make that weight, fish in question is maybe low 20" at best

Offline fellinonce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Thats why you should use a 10" auger
Tap, Tap,.. Cross his eyes!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #66 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 PM »
In perspective that fish apppears to be about 6' (72") in the (photoshoped??) pic. Just guessing they knew that no one would believe that so they knocked it back to a more believable 53". I personally hope that it's real though....

I dont think its photoshopped at all... Im trying to figure your equation out and what would make you pin the fish at 72"... There is nothing definitive in length to compare it to....

Its a pic of a big fish, and a guy crouched with his arms extended... You can plainly tell its him holding it.. It looks like a 50 ish inch 30lbish fish... Its a far cry from any record...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:52 PM »
lou has that picture in the store got to be true now
It's close

Offline mitch2042

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:53 PM »
nice looking fish :o

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:12 PM »
It seems like everyone knows who caught it lol.   My buddy fished with the guy--- my buddies hunting buddy--/-- a guy I work withs friend-----     I'm going to say.   A guy I met at the drive thru's cousins friend hit it and it weight 34 1/2 pounds and he caught it jigging perch.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Only thing i can say is i know those quality of fish are in the dead sea....
Dont't catch um all

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #71 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Ok, I admit it, I caught it on Oneida Lake. I hooked it on a red and silver hali-jig using 2 lb test line on a walmart special pole.  I pulled it up through a 4 inch hole that I drilled with my 4 inch hand auger.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I was at a job meeting in Albany this week one of the supers lives on the lake, they were showing the picture around ,they said it was real ,but who knows.I have a 42"20.5 pounder mounted,  they said that was 52" and I thought they said 34 pounds,it surely look more then 10"s longer than the one I have .BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I dont think its photoshopped at all... Im trying to figure your equation out and what would make you pin the fish at 72"... There is nothing definitive in length to compare it to....

Its a pic of a big fish, and a guy crouched with his arms extended... You can plainly tell its him holding it.. It looks like a 50 ish inch 30lbish fish... Its a far cry from any record...

Well I guess I would compare it to the one you are holding (similarly to the way the Pike is held in the Pic) crouched in your Post. Now I would say that that Pike is more than 40"+ (right??) and I would also say that the Pike in the Pic is at least 2' longer than yours. I'm only tyring to explain myself and I am not saying who is right. All your fish and the one in the Pic are nice fish!!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Well I guess I would compare it to the one you are holding (similarly to the way the Pike is held in the Pic) crouched in your Post. Now I would say that that Pike is more than 40"+ (right??) and I would also say that the Pike in the Pic is at least 2' longer than yours. I'm only tyring to explain myself and I am not saying who is right. All your fish and the one in the Pic are nice fish!!!
I understand where you're coming from, its just really tuff to gauge a fish in a wide open lake photo.. If there was a jet sled or bait bucket even a rod or tip up near the guy you could get an idea...

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I understand where you're coming from, its just really tuff to gauge a fish in a wide open lake photo.. If there was a jet sled or bait bucket even a rod or tip up near the guy you could get an idea...

I understand-we're cool. just wanted you to know where I was coming from. Now go and get one bigger than those beauties in your Avatars.

Offline apperching

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:09 AM »
 NIce picture man

Offline headjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 26, 2013, 02:41 AM »
This same picture was posted two weeks ago claiming it was caught in saratoga lake.. if anyone believes this came from sac. i have a bridge you might also want to buy on sacandaga.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:33 AM »
I heard they chummed the hole with cat litter first then used a cherry fruit roll up for bait.  :P :P

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #79 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Well if so many people know someone who knows the guy in the pic why doesn't anyone know his name?   Exactly. If he fished the Sac then someone would know or seen him.    I fished near the island around the time the pic got posted and nobody was that close to the island.   Sorry if I think it's funny that people are saying how true it is but yet nobody can get a date or where it was caught and who is the guy in the pic.     I got the pic saying it came from cossunyna    So I text my buddy back to have him check out this thread
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Someone caught it some where maybe not there that day! Shopped or not there had to be a picture !no matter what it is a big pike for sure

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 26, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Call me crazy but this looks like the same shoreline in the background.....

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=246430.0

Offline ctown4025

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Fake

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Is it April 1 already ::)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline lowe budget outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:59 AM »
I fish the dead sea every year this was first year I had a pike on a tipup it was short lived cus I had no steel leader but the guy that I happen to meet and fish with for that weekend just so happens to have caught 2 50 plus inchers the last couple years and I pretty sure he don't tell no bs. We were just wondering why ther no pics at the local bait shops and such. Yes nice fish hands down

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I don't know a single person that would not have a picture of the fish if they caught 50" fish........
Look at the pictures on this site of the 30 inchers

Offline Paul M.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:55 AM »
On of my dads friends went up there 2 or 3 weeks ago and caught a 30 pounder I don't know the length on it though

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:11 PM »
pictures

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:20 PM »
On of my dads friends went up there 2 or 3 weeks ago and caught a 30 pounder I don't know the length on it though
maybe 30lbs worth of 12oz at a time. don't believe it without picture's and a sworn  affidavit from someone that witnessed it!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:31 PM »
I haven't heard or seen anything about any big pike...biggest I have seen is about 44 inches.....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.