Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Aug 23, 2014, 05:25 AM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
The board sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sabattus Pike Fish for a Cure Derby results  (Read 1528 times)

lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Re: Sabattus Pike Fish for a Cure Derby results
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:46 AM »
scott great pics. wish i coulda went. i knew a few people there. that pic of the traffic jam leaving the lake is sick. was anyone driving their trucks out there yet? where did everyone park at the boat ramp? i wouldn't worry about the pike kill. there are soooooo many in there in a crazy way it almost makes sense to cull some of them and i get it about the breeders. glad u had a nice trip.

PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:23 AM »
Great pics...love the traffic jam...

FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:23 AM »
Very nice pics Scott.  Looks like I-95 heading out of there. ;D

stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:55 AM »
scott great pics. wish i coulda went. i knew a few people there. that pic of the traffic jam leaving the lake is sick. was anyone driving their trucks out there yet? where did everyone park at the boat ramp? i wouldn't worry about the pike kill. there are soooooo many in there in a crazy way it almost makes sense to cull some of them and i get it about the breeders. glad u had a nice trip.

Over on the Maine site there are some aerial photos of the derby.  Looks like there was a parking lot right on the shore...
TP

bassfun

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:57 AM »
nice time

sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:13 AM »
Nice job Scott and Henry.  Looks like a good day  ;D

Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• PM me
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Hey guys,
Driving home now from the derby. We had a great time! Met with Sinnian and _FLAG_ from the Maine site and met some other locals and had a really nice time. Our group (Big Jim, Coldsteel, JigChaser08 and Ashley, and myself) caught somewhere around 15-20 pike on the day with the biggest being Big Jim's 8lber. Winner of the derby was 16.06lbs.

It was nice meeting up with you again Scott, and meeting everyone else.  Glad you guys got onto some fish.  We'll have to do it on your turf sometime.

I didn't like seeing this, some guys left all of these on the ice...biggest over 30" :-(

Yup, no need of that. 

But as far as catching and killing them~  to each their own.  They are classified as an invasive in Maine, and people are encouraged to kill them by IFW.  I've always put mine back, unless it was weighed in (12 lber for the first derby).  Our group of guys (about 30) kept them for lobster bait, so they would not be wasted, and picked up others off the ice that were left like in your picture.  We only got less than 2 doz because where we were fishing, we were fishing for size, not quantity (we placed 3rd).  There is a big fear of them spreading in Maine, and it is due to bucket bios.  A lot of people believe for everyone killed, that is one less fish that can be transported somewhere else.

We fished for the "cause", none of us fish for them otherwise.  It was a great time had by all, for an even better cause!  The organizers make sure none of those fish are left to waste.  Some will be brought to soup kitchens and the others given to lobstermen.  They'll be going around today to pick up those piles, but it is a shame people can not be more responsible for themselves.

SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:40 PM »
We fished for the "cause", none of us fish for them otherwise.  It was a great time had by all, for an even better cause!  The organizers make sure none of those fish are left to waste.  Some will be brought to soup kitchens and the others given to lobstermen.  They'll be going around today to pick up those piles, but it is a shame people can not be more responsible for themselves.

Well said Jeff! We will be back next year!!

-Scott

JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:10 PM »
Nice job Scott and Henry.  Looks like a good day  ;D

You gotta come up with us next year Jesse!
Henry

whitetail34

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Well Scott don't get caught saying anything like what u said about making u sick to see them pike on the ice in the Maine forum...i did and got ripped hardcore for it...they removed my post..had 200 replies in an hour ripping me..and got some PM's saying i was a ice shanty ROOKIE so shut up and don't post things anymore..

coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:14 AM »
great derby always a blast fishing with you guys, I agree not a fan of just tossing pike on the ice, next year we will be back and be in the $$$
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:55 AM »
Well Scott don't get caught saying anything like what u said about making u sick to see them pike on the ice in the Maine forum...i did and got ripped hardcore for it...they removed my post..had 200 replies in an hour ripping me..and got some PM's saying i was a ice shanty ROOKIE so shut up and don't post things anymore..

I saw that Whitetail....It did make me sick, didnt seem like being a good outdoors man at all, but everyone has their opinions. What do they hope will happen by throwing all of them on the ice? That the population of Perch will rebound? Its just silly!

Dont let them bother, you, just go out and fish and enjoy yourself, thats what its all about.

Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• PM me
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 AM »

It was the way in which you said it, and not all 200 posts were ripping you.  Glad you participated in the derby and on the Maine Board!  You are right, there is no need to leave those fish on the ice (and apparently there were 30-40 left in the parking lot) ~ NOPE no need of that.  But you can't "preach" about them being killed when IFW wants them killed ~ they are not managed like they are in NH ~ they want them killed.  To each their own, I certainly see both sides, and try to respect everyone's opinions.

~TIGHTLINES

SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Thanks again Jeff for all your advice and help out there, we will be back!! :-)

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved