Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Sep 20, 2014, 08:03 PM
Click here to order with free shipping.

Team Iceshanty Patches! Most iceshanty boards are represented

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
This board sponsored in part by

Author Topic: slender spoon  (Read 3365 times)

Tanimal85

• IceShanty Rookie

Re: slender spoon
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Well I gave my haul of slender spoons a workout for 3 days now. I have nothing to show for it! I tried them tipped with a small shiner, just a pinched off shiner head, Gulp 1" smelt, Gulp minnow heads, and spikes. I tried the big ones 5/16oz, the medium ones 1/4oz, and the small 1/8oz in various colors. I jigged for 2 1/2 hours with them Friday, and drew in one fish (a laker by the way he acted on the flasher) that took a sniff. When I finally changed over to a silver/chartrues pimple, from a silver/chartrues Slender Soon, I got a lake trout (I was fishing for walleye!) before it hit the bottom! Luck? Coincidence? I don't know, but they did nothing for me this weekend....... :( :( :(

BIGJim223

Same here.  Went through every slender spoon I own, in every presentation I could think of and got skunked.  Going to stick to the tried and true stuff instead of what's "hot" right now.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to ice fish and he'll sit on the ice and drink beer all weekend.

AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Kool Ade ;D
I have caught many a walleye and perch on the Slender lady, but some days a Vertical presentation does not work as well as a Horizontal presentation...meaning the type of lure one uses ;)
AW

icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict

• 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:43 PM »
No kool- aid involved .... Did you catch fish first time you used raps ? You can't get stuck on trying to force it ... I switch up .. Spoon ... Rap ... Puppet .... Spoon on tough days . Gold and Chartreuse Green .. That is the best one for me it seems.
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:02 AM »
Last yr I went to Mickey's  for bait. As he was filling my pail I noticed he had some firetiger Genz ice worms so I bought two. I limited on perch at Williams and had my computer not crashed and lost my pics I would have posted them. So now I start with that worm every time out. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's all about what they want on that day.

Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:29 AM »
Come to find out a 1/8 slender spoon is a white perch's favorite lure...

jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Tried them for the first time at sodus yesterday. Did catch perch on them but dinks what happened to the jacks

tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:56 PM »
 ;D caught a walleye (short) and a batch of perch on a 1/8 oz new fav color :whistle: yesterday, they can work good. Fish were following them up then slammin them .
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:41 PM »
can someone tell me please what size slenderspoons to fish for walleye and color thanks

jockofish

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Just wondering, do you guys use that little safety snap that's included with the Slender Spoon or tie directly ?
She says " you've got to be nuts to go icefishing", my only reply is, " it helps".

AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Just wondering, do you guys use that little safety snap that's included with the Slender Spoon or tie directly ?

Use the clip...that is what makes the action so good ;)
If you directly tie on, you will get snapped off with heavy fish...
AW

jigginguru

• IceShanty Rookie

• tap, tap, lift and wiggle
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:17 AM »
I put the slender spoons to the test this last weekend and they do catch fish. Its a unique action that not a lot of fish have seen before. Only one problem- the cheap hardware. I replaced the safety snap, split ring and hook on all the slender spoons I bought. These were all very poor quality. Imagine hooking the largest eye' of the season and having the cheap snap bend and break !! >:(
Catching more fish comes with a responsibility, keep a few for dinner and let the big ones swim another day.

s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:21 AM »
can someone tell me please what size slenderspoons to fish for walleye and color thanks

I have had my best luck with a 1/4 oz.  I have also caught them on 1/8 and 5/16.  tip it with a buck eye head and let the magic happen. 
Lets get some Ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict

• 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Cheap hardware ?  I have a 3 year old spoon original hardware and has caught a lot of fish on it ...

For the new guys .... When you drop it ..it flutters out a distance ... I have caught a lot of fish jigging it and pounding it into the bottom bringing it back to the hole. 
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

jigginguru

• IceShanty Rookie

• tap, tap, lift and wiggle
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Cheap hardware ?  I have a 3 year old spoon original hardware and has caught a lot of fish on it ...

For the new guys .... When you drop it ..it flutters out a distance ... I have caught a lot of fish jigging it and pounding it into the bottom bringing it back to the hole. 

Yes, cheap hardware. I'm sure it's fine for dinks.. :woot: :woot: kidding! Maybe I forgot to mention that some of my best perch holes also have giant steelhead cruising around also, I hate loosing spoons to them.
Catching more fish comes with a responsibility, keep a few for dinner and let the big ones swim another day.

frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Got my order of 9 new slenders from cjs, up to 17 of them now in various sizes/colors.

slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:20 PM »

I noticed that .. ??? :icefish:lol took a coulpe drops for me to figure that out ..

BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:38 PM »
One of my Slender Spoons got me a good fish today! I was using a 1/4oz Black Chrome/Chartrues with a pinched off Shiner head for a scent teaser, sight fishing for walleye or perch in very shallow (<6') weedy water. First drop in a new hole, I saw a good lake trout rush in to grab the spoon, I jerked it away a couple of times to get him aggressive, and then he smashed it! I pulled him right to the hole before he knew something was amiss, and as I grabbed him he went crazy and the supplied snap pulled apart! I pushed him on to the ice with the spoon still in his mouth! 6 pound fish, 4 pound leader, cheap snap! I had another couple of chasers on the Slender Spoon, but no more strikes.
  I'll keep on trying!

BIGJim223

fishbizbob

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I put the slender spoons to the test this last weekend and they do catch fish. Its a unique action that not a lot of fish have seen before. Only one problem- the cheap hardware. I replaced the safety snap, split ring and hook on all the slender spoons I bought. These were all very poor quality. Imagine hooking the largest eye' of the season and having the cheap snap bend and break !! >:(

Hey guys read your quote, must say I was dumbfounded, as we use Rosco snaps and Mustad Premium hooks.  I can tell you iI've got reports form guys catching 13-14# eye's in Winnipeg, 25# pike in LOW and have yet to have a complaint on snaps or hooks. Weird.
I've used them myself and have yet to have a failure on either.

Maybe those NY fish  fight harder?

keeps you eyes on our site for an exciting announcement in regards to SLenders in the next 30 days.

Stay safe on the ice.

BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Fishbizbob: I don't think they fight any harder in NY, but this fish was as green as it can be! I do not think he even knew he was hooked yet. I was using 4lb test for a leader so didn't have much hope of getting him if he got into the weeds, so I brought him right up the 6 feet he was in. When he came out of the hole he literally went nuts! That is when the snap pulled.
  Maybe the snap was manufactured just slightly off, maybe the fish just twisted right to torque the snap, I don't know. I should not have called it a" cheap snap" in my above post. But after reading the other comment from above last night, that is the first thing that came to mind today out on the ice. The spoon I put on was brand new, just out of the package, and I caught the fish on the first drop of the lure. I noticed no problem when I snapped it to my line.
  The bottom line is that I caught the fish! And on a Slender Spoon that was designed for perch/walleye. I will get them figured out!
  Thanks for the great service your company offers! I will be placing another order tonight!

BIGJim223

slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:23 PM »
My slender spoons came with a quality snap that all you have to do is make sure it is snapped ...

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved