Author Topic: LX-9 vs Double Vision, a side by side comparison  (Read 21772 times)

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LX-9 vs Double Vision, a side by side comparison
« Reply #60 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Finally got out on the ice today, seems like a long time between trips.  The LX-9 is working perfect again.  Just a low voltage issue, happy about that. 

The more I use the LX-9, the more I like it, at least as a shack finder.  As a hole hopper, I need to get in a few more days of that style of fishing to know for sure.  If I had to give an answer right now, I would go with the FL-22HD because it is much lighter, and I really haven't noticed the huge difference in flashers that I hear about all of the time here on IS.  Maybe with more flasher time, I will start to notice more of a difference.

Cheers.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Take the camera off when hole hopping, no noticable different in weight between most the units, most the weight is the battery....

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Esox, Not so much a weight issue, I just feel the Genz box balances better, feels more secure when tromping about through the snow.

I tried the USB cord today, hoping that the LX-9 would function like a card reader and allow me to leave the microSD card in its stupid slot.  No such luck, at least on a Mac.  Detaching the head from the carrier each time does give a little easier access, though. 

Cheers!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Ok, my 7 feels fine when hole hopping, so much so I now leave the 5 at home unless the wife is along...

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #64 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Chip,
I just read your thread from start to finish, excellent.  Please keep the reports coming and especially the videos!
Otto

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Back on the ice today, LX-9 came along for the ride.  On arriving at the fishing spot, I noticed the unit was already powered up.  This is the second time I have had this happen.  The first time, I assumed something had bumped the power button during the ride.  Now I am thinking that the bouncing around on my sled can set off the power button as I travel.  It seems that a power interrupt switch may be called for.

Fished for perch and walleye in 10' of water, fishing was OK.  Haven't gone through the video yet, but there should be a few good shots.  I have come to this conclusion:  For most people the LX-9 is a flasher with a camera, for me it is a camera with a flasher.  The camera ruled today. 

Cheers!

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:04 PM »
So, I took my "senior citizen" mother-in-law out for a couple hours perch fishing this afternoon.  She had never caught a fish in her life.  With the LX-9 camera, she had a great time and caught a ridiculous number of perch, mostly small ones.  Without the camera, she would have been lucky to catch 2 or 3 (light biters, small fish and no touch would have made a tough day)  I fished blind, no camera, no flasher.  My fishing time was somewhat impinged upon, what with having to take off all her fish and occasionally rebait her hook.  I probably only managed 15 minutes of actual quality angling, and I caught a few.  The bite was very light, a non-fisherperson might not get many at all.

The LX-9 provided a great experience for a total novice angler, both from an entertainment and a productivity perspective.  I am sure the camera was more useful in this situation than a flasher would have been.

On a more technical note, while reassembling the rubber cover that hides the microSD slot, I managed to partially eject the card.  When I turned the unit on, I got a "no SD card" message.  Easy fix, but glad I caught it in the house and not on the lake.  It seems most of the issues I have with this unit involve the microSD card slot!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Mother in law sounds like a good way to void the warranty! ;D  Thanks for the thread Chip. I sent my seven in last week and will be looking for an lx9 this week! After selling my 825sd, it will be good to have a camera again.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:15 PM »
7 can be upgraded to the 9....

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:44 PM »
7 can be upgraded to the 9....
Yes sir. What I meant was the Marcum boys should ship it to me this week. I will be looking for it's arrival. :icefish:

Offline Yelah8384

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Mar 06, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Chip,

Great review of both.

Have you figured out a way of turning off the transducer when when not in use besides unplugging it from the machine? When I am only using the camera the clicking sound drives me batty.

Adam

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Chip,

Great review of both.

Have you figured out a way of turning off the transducer when when not in use besides unplugging it from the machine? When I am only using the camera the clicking sound drives me batty.

Adam
Lx9?

Offline Yelah8384

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Yes LX-9 I've had it for about a week

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Just got off of the phone with them. Mike told me there is no way to shut off the ducer while using just the camera. Sounds like in the future, it will be addressed. My Lx9 is shipping out today!!! Can't wait!!!

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 10, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Well, it seems the guide in me keeps poking his head up. 

I took my wife out this afternoon for a couple hours perch fishing.  She got the camera, I used the flasher.  The heads up display allowed each of us to watch our own lure on the same unit! 

The perch were a little more scattered today, which was actually perfect.  I was able to see the perch coming in, enough separation to detect fish moving up to the lure.  Even when there was no separation between the lure and the bottom, I was able to detect the larger fish by the red mark in the midst of the clutter. 

My wife enjoyed the camera, so it was a win-win situation.  A few pike came in, one iced, one broke off and half dozen short hits. 

A beautiful day, a decent number of fish iced, and a happy wife.  How does it get better than that? 

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:12 PM »
I like my flasher.

I like my camera more!

Fishing with the flasher can give you a good idea what's going on down there, but not like a camera.  Perch fishing, in particular, really lens itself well to a camera, at least for me.  The restricted cone angle caused by shallow water, coupled with bunches of fish coming in at the same time, limit the usefulness of the flasher.  The camera tells all, its limitations are mobility and pike tangling in the cable.

Don't get me wrong, as I said above I like the flasher, I use it a fair bit.

Sometimes, I just like the camera better. (and the DVR!)

DoubleVision is for sale, but with the FL8SE as the flasher, so I guess the LX-9 is my preference.  The FL22HD will still see a fair amount of ice time.  Next winter I am planning a more in depth comparison of the flashers. 

Deeper water, must fish deeper....

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Well, the Double Vision is sold, pending pickup.  I posted it on the local Kijiji, and it went pretty quick.  The buyer (who had read this thread!) wanted a flasher with zoom, so after some dickering, I swapped the FL-22HD back into the unit. 

As another note of interest, I recently purchased an EarthX battery as an emergency backup starter battery for my sled.  That battery is now living on my LX-9.  The weight difference is amazing!  There is about 5 lbs difference in batteries (and that is with an 18 ah equivalent battery, the 12 ah equivalent would be even lighter!), and it is very noticeable.  It is a bit pricey, for sure, and I am not sure I would shell out the $$ just for the weight savings.  I will keep you all posted as to the performance of this battery in the cold, etc.

Ice fishing season is nearly upon us!

Yaaayyyy!!!

Cheers!

Offline MNDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Nov 13, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Nice! I replaced my LX-9 battery with a 14 ah lithium motorcycle battery last year and it's worked great! So much lighter! I just need to figure out a way to get the LX-9 to balance better - it wants to roll forward when I'm carrying it. Otherwise I've got an LX-9 that is lighter than the average FL-8!

Well, the Double Vision is sold, pending pickup.  I posted it on the local Kijiji, and it went pretty quick.  The buyer (who had read this thread!) wanted a flasher with zoom, so after some dickering, I swapped the FL-22HD back into the unit. 

As another note of interest, I recently purchased an EarthX battery as an emergency backup starter battery for my sled.  That battery is now living on my LX-9.  The weight difference is amazing!  There is about 5 lbs difference in batteries (and that is with an 18 ah equivalent battery, the 12 ah equivalent would be even lighter!), and it is very noticeable.  It is a bit pricey, for sure, and I am not sure I would shell out the $$ just for the weight savings.  I will keep you all posted as to the performance of this battery in the cold, etc.

Ice fishing season is nearly upon us!

Yaaayyyy!!!

Cheers!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #78 on: Nov 13, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Nice! I replaced my LX-9 battery with a 14 ah lithium motorcycle battery last year and it's worked great! So much lighter! I just need to figure out a way to get the LX-9 to balance better - it wants to roll forward when I'm carrying it. Otherwise I've got an LX-9 that is lighter than the average FL-8!

Yea, it's very front happy. Out of fear that it would sooner or later roll out, I had a velcro strap sewed on the inside that straps over the base to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:12 AM »
Fishin_Chip - Any updates on your LX-9 experience over the past few years?  I just picked one up as your post helped me make the final decision...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #80 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Fishin_Chip - Any updates on your LX-9 experience over the past few years?  I just picked one up as your post helped me make the final decision...
it's an old thread that's over two years old and many of us have them now. what would you like to know more about with them?
i had the lx7 and upgraded to the lx9 last fall and never read this thread. i bought the lx7 knowing it would be an lx9 if i liked the sonar and i do. i still have no ice to try it on with the camera, but the sonars are the same. i can say the balance thing is it was designed to be an lx9 and they removed it to sell as a lx7 and that makes the balance off. it was said the weight of the camera was 4 pounds. so the handle is placed to balance that extra weight in the rear. some are also changing battery weights and causing to tip even more forward. i think the answer to this is take it to a shoe repair and have another strap sewn in and have that strap go all the way around the case. worst case for the handle is cut out the one that came with it or ask marcum to sell just a handle so you have more than one.

for the record, flashers flash lights with a spinning hub sitting on a motor. lx6 and up are not flashers. flashers are very limited in what it can show you. they can only show lights flashing.
the lx6 and up are digital sonars and offer 6 charts plus camera for you to choose from and you can have up to 4 charts plus the camera in the background like living wall paper or you can do half and half or all camera and lots of ways to display all the different charts and camera.
having a graph is a huge advantage and no flashers have them.

i am a novice with the camera, but not with the sonar.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:46 AM »
i'm mostly interested in what owners are doing to modify their case to make it more stable... For those who think they've solved the tipping case issue, can you post pictures of your case mods?

Any tricks to easily getting to the SD card, I suspect i'll be recording alot of videos and if I have to take the screen off everytime to get the MicroSD card out, that will suck...  What's the little pouch at the back of the case for?  Is it a grab handle or are you supposed to put things in there?  The fact it doesn't close sucks...was gonna add some velcro to it...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:04 AM »
pouch is the camera on the lx9.
the case is stable enough and i have no issues with the lx7 even tho it didn't have the added 4 pounds of weight from the camera to balance the case. it does lean forward tho, but i never felt it being a problem. your just moving and not using it that way.
the ones removing 7/8 pounds of battery and the camera are the ones having issues with the lean that creates tho.

the head unit is attached to a common gimble that boats use to hold head units like this one. so you can use this on your boat by adding the high speed transducer. being the head unit needs to be tilted to be seen on the ground, the case was designed that way. the hard carry handle was removed from the lx6s and only has the nylon outside strap to carry it with. the lx7/9 still has that inside hard carry handle and that is where the outside strap is sewn on the outside of the case. you could sew in another strap to balance it, if you think you need to. just make the strap go all the way around the case so it's not having just the stitching hold the weight alone.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 16, 2016, 02:12 PM »
How about the battery? I didn't see on this thread about how long they were good for. If I go out its usually 2 hrs before daylight till dark
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Jan 16, 2016, 06:15 PM »
battery on what unit? the lx7 is same the lx9 sonar wise and i never ran out of battery on the lx7 and i fish 6 to 8 hours most times. was told if using the cam it becomes a battery hog. i carry two any way, so i'm good.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:56 PM »
On the lx9. Thanks
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:58 PM »
What's the little pouch at the back of the case for?  Is it a grab handle or are you supposed to put things in there?  The fact it doesn't close sucks...was gonna add some velcro to it...
Not the camera case, on the very back of the main case there's a small pouch, is this for stabilizing the case with your other hand when hole hopping?  I plan on just turning it into a small storage pouch with a velcro sealer...there's also a small cutout near the bottom of the case, I assume this is for pulling out the quick charge plug to hook upto the charger?  Do most LX-9 owners route the camera cable upto the top of the case and connect it to the cord in the pouch, or do you also thread the camera connection cable through the bottom cutout slot?

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:28 PM »
I run both cables through the slot.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:37 PM »
i don't use marcum chargers. i do run the camera cable thru the cut out in the pouch that is there to pick up the unit by it's hard handle in the back.
when you take the case off, look close at the seam in the pouch/pocket and you'll see a spot that is supposed to have the cable go thru it. i just leave the camera off of it because i have no time to use it while catching fish.

i take the case off of it and use a battery tender jr charger and connect the black to negative directly on the battery and use the marcum charge cables red connection for the positive clamp on the charger. it has a fuse and so does the charger. i have had wire fires from that type of automatic charger and so fuses are very much welcomed!

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:27 AM »
I run the camera connection cable out from the top corner of the Marcum case, I then have the camera cable come out of the top corner of the pouch, this makes a short exposed connection and an easier disconnection point should I want to remove the camera and pouch.  Not sure if the early LX-9's came with the quick charger cable connection, but my newer LX-9 came with the same connection that the Battery Tender Jr's use...

Is the small storage/grab handle pocket directly above the rear cable slot supposed to be used for grabbing the LX-9?  or is it a small storage pocket?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.