Author Topic: Wekusko falls Lodge  (Read 8141 times)

Offline linesnapper

• IceShanty Rookie
Wekusko falls Lodge
« on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Looking in to planning a trip to Wekusko Falls Lodge In april. I am from out of province and would sure appritiate some input. Is it worth the trip it would be about a twelve hour Drive for us.

Any input on lodging, ice conditions, guides etc. Would be great.

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wekusko falls Lodge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 PM »
I have been there plenty of times in the summer when Tony owned the lodge.  He told me if I was to go ice fishing to come up in april. 
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline BL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Have been going up there for years with tony as lodge owner , New owner Brian and LarisA great people he knows how to fish very well! Anytimes a great time if you pay the guide well. I recommend him ! He work's hard fo his $

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I have stayed there in the summer for a work meeting. I thought the place was awesome. Cabins are very nice and can hold up to 8 people I think. Cant wait to go back.

Offline slipbobber61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I'm taking the 10+ hour drive for the third year in a row in April.  Absolutly an awesome experience.  Great fishing - quantity and quality!  Brian and Ellissa are gracious hosts and run a top notch operation.  Accomodations are great.  Brian knows his stuff and will put you on fish.  Lots of options for lakes and species.  Linesnapper, it's absolutely 100% worth the drive.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Well I might be slightly bias as I am the owner.... but we do offer amazing ice fishing.  This January has been tough as our average high temperature was -32C.  Made for some good ice at least.  I made it out once in January and fished for 1 1/2 hours.  I landed a 21,22,22,23,26" eye.  Lost one heavy fished that I marked and played with for 5 minutes or so.  Not sure if big eye or burbot. 

We have a number of lakes to choose from here, many with restricted access (locked logging road).  Every year I find some new real gem spots, as for me my high is not so much catching fish anymore, but rather figuring them out.  The norm up here with locals is to fish the same spot that they have always fished all their lives, with a jig and minnow.  I am a believer in alot of holes, a lot of GPS locations, alot of bait, a lot of hooks, and electronics. 

We have some awesome lakes around here - lakers, burbot, walleye, pike, whitefish, and rainbows.  The only species I haven't figured out up here is sauger.  (Wekusko Lake is Manitoba's #1 sauger water for Master Anglers), Ice seems to be a no show.  Talking to some die hard sauger chaser from south the border, they say the Sauger migrate to deep basins.  I am not a fan of bringing fish (unless lakers) from the deep depths as mortality rate is very high.   

March and April are good times, but so is February.  I have some dynamite rainbow, burbot, walleye,and one amazing laker spot for Feb fishing.  Only thing is it can be cold.  Tony (old owner) liked April cause it was warm, and could either quad or truck to the spots easier.  And fishing is generally more predictable as fish are moving towards spawning grounds.

Just give us a call, I'm more than willing to answer any questions. 

Neat to see guys that guys have been up here before.  Sure is a great spot.  I fished all over Sask but once I came here, I kept coming back, and eventually bought the place.  Guess I liked it that much!

Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Thanks for that great post fishcrusher  :)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline linesnapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Thanks for all the Info Glad I started this post made the decision pretty easey. Looking forward to going up there this april.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:19 PM »
looks like I will be heading out Tuesday...finally..... will let you know how we do!  Trying a new lake with a summer GPS'd spot!  Not all of them a gems but here's to hoping!
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:24 PM »
looks like I will be heading out Tuesday...finally..... will let you know how we do!  Trying a new lake with a summer GPS'd spot;  Not all of them turn out to be a gem but here's to hoping!
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Tried some new spots on Wekusko Lake yesterday with the old owner Tony.  It was cold with windchill of -30 in the afternoon.  Left at 1:30 and fished till dark.   The first spot was a big 12' deep reef surrounded by deep water, marked small fish and caught nothing.   Packed up and moved to a deep slide and the eyes were there.  Seems like some walleye have hit the deep basins, and we caught them cruising by the slide.  23' of water.  1 1/2 hours Tony landed 3 walleye, biggest was 23".    I landed one 20" whitefish.  Tony marked lots of good fish, and my Vexilar battery died when we started fishing that spot.  He stayed in that hole and I popped around, and mostly fished 18'.  My guess is in that area they are staying deeper till spring.

Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline Lewy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Fish crusher what is the phone # for your lodge?

Offline BL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:19 PM »
1-204-358-2341

Offline BL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Hey Brian how is tony doing? Can't wait to see you again this June hope ice is good to you ! See you end unless I can make it up on ice . Brian in Bdn

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:32 AM »
Thanks BL for posting my number!  Really looking forward to the upcoming season!

I know you wouldn't believe it, but Morton ice fishing is tough!
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline BL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Yeah, I have had the best luck on reed ! Actually never fished or had to go anywhere but when I do! I will get you to hook me up ! Brian

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Here's just a fews pictures from guiding this last week. 

Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline CanadianIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Nice photos Bryan! The new Ranger looks awesome! Looking forward to our upcoming trip!
Early to bed, early to rise, sit on the ice and make up lies

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Sure looks like a place I want to try, added to my LIST.. hopefully next April!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I have a in-law who has a cabin on this lake , after veiwing the pictures gotta get up there,,

Nice catches and you look like the GO TO GUY!!
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Nice fish.  Those burbot seem to be short and stocky.  Their tails don't seem to be as long as the ones I see around here. 

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:01 PM »
The two pictures of the burbort are 29 and 34".  Nephew was ticked cause he couldn't get a master landed- he had a for sure master below the hole when the line snapped.  They look short in these pics cause I cannot get the buggers to straighten out.  I personally caught a 35" the other night- and the pictures are crap as it got cold and wanted the fish back in quick, and there was no way he would keep from double curling.  I think the only way to get a long length shot is if the buggers are dead.  Unless someone else has a tip to get them to straighten out.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Here is some of the action from yesterday evening- checked out a late season spot- fish are already moving in!
Me with a 26" walter that would not cooperate  and buddy's 31" and change laker

Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline slipbobber61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Great pic Bryan.  I cant wait to see the scar on your nose when we get up there in April!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Back at er.... but too cold to get lots of good pics (most of the big fish we caught were not near the pop up)- just a sample of a few.  If I told you numbers and sizes you would call me a liar.  But the tip didn't lie.

Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Just a few fish from guiding this last week

Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Awesome fish! Looks like a heck of a place to go

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Sweet, hope to get up there next late winter... ;D

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #28 on: Apr 07, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Went scouting for a new laker spot- think we may have found a good new one!  Dad landed this nice one.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline linesnapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Nice fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.