The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy model 30 question  (Read 6093 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy model 30 question
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:28 PM »
This might help ya with that Tecumseh carb.  ;)

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehcarburetormanual.pdf
U the man rebel. Thanks. Part of me is thinking of just buying a whole new carb for 30 bucks and swapping it out? Easier? Still will need adjustments I assume? What u think? Thanks again

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Rebuild!! Cheap to have it done, too! New ones do not equal the quality you already have in the old one, IMO.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Rebuild!! Cheap to have it done, too! New ones do not equal the quality you already have in the old one, IMO.  ;D
you probably exactly right on the quality. nothing made like it was 20 yrs ago. I'll see how it does this weekend. I'm wondering if I can just take the bowl off and spray the heck out of it with carb cleaner and or let some seafoam sit in it all night? may try that for starters but im sure im due for a complete rebuild. something i should have been doing in the summer.....

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Soooo the 30 ran like a champ this summer when messing around with it. Now it dies after 30 seconds unless I prime it. Replaced diaphragm still same issue. Ran sea foam til my garage was full of smoke. Still same issue. I know there is a lot of info so I will keep reading. Have a carb kit but want to go out this weekend and never done before so don't want to screw it up. Assume my carb needs complete kit?? Grrrrr

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:01 PM »
make sure you but the diaphragm and seal back in there properly. if not then she will leak and not wanna run. it happened to me when i rebuilt mine, now she starts one pull no choke and 2 primes.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Soooo the 30 ran like a champ this summer when messing around with it. Now it dies after 30 seconds unless I prime it. Replaced diaphragm still same issue. Ran sea foam til my garage was full of smoke. Still same issue. I know there is a lot of info so I will keep reading. Have a carb kit but want to go out this weekend and never done before so don't want to screw it up. Assume my carb needs complete kit?? Grrrrr
Also the carb kit came with a gasket too but when I took bottom of carb off all that was there was the diaphragm. Is this gasket supposed to butt up against it? Thanks

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:03 PM »
make sure you but the diaphragm and seal back in there properly. if not then she will leak and not wanna run. it happened to me when i rebuilt mine, now she starts one pull no choke and 2 primes.

here this helped me alot when i did my carb kit.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Same thing mine does... I have replaced a lot of diaphragms and as soon as I put them in it leaks. Seems like every diaphragm I find has been sitting for a long time and is dry and brittle. It's hard to find a replacement for the old 30's and when I contacted Jiffy on getting a new one that was fresh they informed me that they no longer make the diaphragms for the older 30 like I have. Now I'm just as lost as you are JWETOVICK but love my old Jiffy too much to move on...

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:10 PM »
All depends which model carb it is.  There will be a letter stamped along the edge.  Some require that the little tit on the diaphram metal disk faces up, others down.  It's the little tip that activates the needle valve to let the gas flow.  If it's the wrong way around, will only run on the primer.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:13 PM »
All depends which model carb it is.  There will be a letter stamped along the edge.  Some require that the little tit on the diaphram metal disk faces up, others down.  It's the little tip that activates the needle valve to let the gas flow.  If it's the wrong way around, will only run on the primer.

Good call. I'm going to check mine tomorrow and I can't remember what mine was stamped but I know that makes a different as well. Good info... Thanks!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Thanks for the info. I did make sure I put the diaphragm in the same way the old one was because I am known for not putting back together correctly. So it ran great before so assuming diaphragm is in correctly. Any other ideas? Thanks again guys

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:19 PM »
have you played with the adjustment screws at all?

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:29 PM »

[/quote

I need to do something with mine as well. With mine I need to keep priming it to keep it running well until it's good and hot then its not to bad. It will also leak out the carb no matter how I lay it down. I replaced my diaphragm once and put it in the same way I took the old one out, but I bought it used so maybe it was in wrong before I bought it. Keep us posted on if you find a fix.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:29 PM »
have you played with the adjustment screws at all?
No I have not just for fact I've never had a problem until now so not sure why it would now all sudden need adjusted? Not saying I'm right just don't want to mess with more than I need to.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:49 PM »
So I couldn't take it and went back out to garage and put that gasket in. This time I let the ole 30 warm up longer. Between both these things she now runs like the raped ape she has before!! Hopefully she is now ready to roll. Wondering if the warming up longer is what did it? Garage does stay 50 so just assumed after as long as I messed with it that it was warm? Maybe it was the sea foam that I ran through it and let set for 45 min?? Not real sure but runs good now. Reminds me now why I don't want to spend 550 on a new auger that has so much plastic on it. Tough to beat a well running model 30. Although I sure like watching my buddy run his jiffy propane 10in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.