Author Topic: LX-7 Software Update v3.17  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
LX-7 Software Update v3.17
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Probably already posted but here it is.  LX-7 Software Update v3.17
http://marcumtech.com/lx-7-firmware
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LX-7 Software Update v3.17
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:58 PM »
I like the new menu layout. I actually hated the old one so that was not too hard to do. There were way too many options (all visible at the same time) with the old menu. Just have to get it out on the ice now.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:03 PM »
i just did update too.  i have same menu as 3.0

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:00 PM »
3.0 and 2.9 had different menues

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:30 PM »
ohhh, ok.
i like the 3.0/3.17 menu.  got it that way and just learn to use it.  I really like the unit though.

one thing i can't find, is when you put it on simulator, the graph shows fish arch's.  That is open water mode correct??
How do you put it in open water mode?

I'll give some feedback if i get out tomorrow or sunday, warm weather...couple lakes have enough, but not sure if i want to stand in 2 inches of water...i might though ;D

Offline canada_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Any news on how this update works?

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Depends on where/how you fish. If you have 2.9 you may want to stick with it for now. ONCE YOU UPDATE YOU CAN NOT GO BACK. I had 2.9 and updated to 3.17, I like a lot of the update but have found that fishing my local lake that is 10 foot at its deepest spot and typically fish 7 to 9 feet it is not working out all that well. The problem I have is the new sensitivity curve and the lures I typically use, (#3 and #5 jigging raps) if I turn the sensitivity down to get a nice small lure mark I get a depth reading of 0 feet, if I turn the sensitivity up to get a depth reading I have a big old Vexilar blob of a lure. This is not a huge deal but when I have the lure size I want I can no longer tell the size of fish as good as I could with 2.9. I like having the sensitivity at 3 or 4 for the jigging raps with the 3.17 software.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:13 PM »
I called Marcum today..Then went to the UPS store.They wanted to see the unit.Glad I kept the LX 5..
Jig em up!

Offline canada_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I might just stick with 2.9 then.  I don't understand why you can't go back...?  Any other experiences?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:12 AM »
one thing i can't find, is when you put it on simulator, the graph shows fish arch's.  That is open water mode correct??
How do you put it in open water mode?

You can see the archs through the ice.. just drill about 20 holes in a line all touching each other then drop your transducer down and run back and forth.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 AM »
I did some experimenting on the lake yesterday and with 2.9 I had to use open water mode, with 3.17 I switched it to ice mode and it made a big difference on the lake I fish. I was able to dial down the lures and get the right size fish marks again and it was showing the digital depth, so now I am happy with the 3.17 update. I guess a guy needs to go through the settings while out on the lake and get it dialed in again for the new software. I am waiting for one of the nearby deep lakes to ice over so I can try the dynamic depth. I have heard that it is the same as auto depth now but can not confirm that yet.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Fished 3.17 yesterday and was happy with it. :)  Only complaint was my dad's fl8 made the 7 go nuts! IR on both machines failed to clear up the MESS. ???

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I did some experimenting on the lake yesterday and with 2.9 I had to use open water mode, with 3.17 I switched it to ice mode and it made a big difference on the lake I fish. I was able to dial down the lures and get the right size fish marks again and it was showing the digital depth, so now I am happy with the 3.17 update. I guess a guy needs to go through the settings while out on the lake and get it dialed in again for the new software. I am waiting for one of the nearby deep lakes to ice over so I can try the dynamic depth. I have heard that it is the same as auto depth now but can not confirm that yet.
Please do update us on how dynamic depth works on various depth. I have yet to use it on a spot thats over 15 ft deep with the updated software.  From my understanding the way marcum was marketing the dynamic depth feature was to maximize screen real estate from top to bottom, instead it just takes it back to the appropriate defualt range setting. Example, in 11 ft of water it uses the 20ft range setting and thats half the screen. Dynamic depth is a little misleading if you ask me, just a glorrified automatic useless feature. I'm a bit surprised no one has caught this and mentioned anything about it.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:11 PM »
EVO - Dynamic depth was the big marketing push with the unit, it is one of the main reasons that I purchased the unit, unfortunately the lakes that I would use that feature on have not been cooperative with decent ice this season or last, the two main lakes that I fish are 10 and 20 foot max depth so those scales work good. It will be a huge disappointment if they can not get the dynamic depth working properly but it will not affect 90% of the fishing that I do. I love this unit compared to the FL-18 and FL-22 that I was using before.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Anyone down loaded it using window 7.
When I bought my LX7 in Aug. i was unable to down load the 2.19 . I called Criss at Marcum and he emailed  me a direct icon to drag over ,then it worked  . He said back then the icon on the site will not work with windows 7
Tried today dragging the 3.17 over just under where it says read me.....and nothing happens ,the Lx 7 just keeps on Chripping and nothing down loads. Emailed Criss twice ,he answered some Questions I had but did not Email me a window 7  Icon.
Anyone else has this problem with windows 7 computars
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Worked fine for my computer with Windows 7.
  BE THERE!

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Took me 4 try's but got it done with my windows 7 computer, one thing I noticed is the "drive" that shows up must say LX-7 if it does not it wont work.

Offline bl8ant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:15 PM »
After updating to v.3.17 I noticed my unit reads 0 feet when not in the water. Before the update it would always read something crazy when the transducer wasn't submerged like 259 feet.

Placing the transducer on the floor and lifting it up doesn't change the depth reading a all. I am hoping not o get a nasty surprise when I hit the lake this weekend with the freshly updated unit.

Do you guys see depth changes or markings when messing with the transducer above water?

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:18 PM »
No, I don't see anything with the new update either and it works fine in the water.

Offline bl8ant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Well Gillfisher, that is encouraging. Hope all is well, just can't get out to test it before the trip.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:21 AM »
been using my lx7 couple times out.  Yes, i do to have to turn up sens. to 14-16...used to run on 4...but, thats good i guess..gives more balance to turn up or down.

I was using yesterday...did get some surface clutter after hooking fish couple times....its more stable than before, but it still happened

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:22 PM »
For me the update has gone well.

Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Nice bend in the rod Tom!  :clap:

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:55 PM »
I am updated now and this morning I stopped at farm pond to try it out. The first thing was sensitivity had to be turned up quite a bit from before and seemed I lost some of the color red , but I was only fishing in 5foot of water. I am anxious to use it in the deeper water. I reset to factory settings and vertical on left hand side of the screen was flickering on the bottom all the time,is this normal?

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Got out on the 20 foot deep lake today, fished in 16 feet and tried dynamic depth and it went to 20 foot scale. So, it appears that dynamic depth is not working at least 20 foot and shallower. I'm going to call Marcum on Monday and see what they have to say, also noticed that I am getting the grainy looking stuff under my screen.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Got mine loaded today . tried dong it 5 time at least  on my computer and no dice. Nabour had 2 computers in his house.would not work either.
went to his nabour that had two also ,first one did not work but second one did. On all the computers I tried before it only had two usb ports to try. he said he plugged it into a usb 3 port that made the difference.

Anyway have not tried it out on ice yet ,but noticed after pressing the menu button ,the menu has changed  from the 2.9
It used to all open up ...now you only get 3 sub title files to open . Settings ,Display and a third one  Not to happy with this at all .

Also noticed that before the update , if I turned on the unit in the house ,it would pick up the floor  which was two ft below the transducer  then give me another reading 10 ft down which was the basement.  Not doing it anymore.   
Need to play with it more ,maybe turn up the sensitivity.
I wish Marcum would have gave alot More detail in the up dated changes and why they made them.
If I do not notice any difference in fishing ,just might see if i can switch back which was a better update 2.9

Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:33 AM »
HW - you can not go back to 2.9, I called Marcum and asked them already. Glad you finally got it loaded!!!

I did not like 3.17 at first but now that I have been out with it a few times and messing with the settings I have it dialed back in and I like it.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:05 PM »
OK, I got out on some deeper water over the weekend and the dynamic depth is working just fine now. I will say that I have had to do some playing around with the settings to get dialed back into where I was with V2.9, but I am glad that I did the update. One of the big changes that I noticed is having to be in ice fishing mode now, and V2.9 I had to be in open water mode. I talked to Marcum about my screen issue and received a RA# to send it in to get fixed. I can say without a doubt that Marcum has exemplary customer service.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Fished all weekend with the new update, and I like it.  Dynamic depth worked great for me in the vertical mode in 18 fow.  I did find that I had to crank up the sensitivity quite a bit when I moved from a horizontal jig to a vertical jig.  The only bad thing about this weekend with the unit, fishing was so hot that I never moved so my transducer cable froze to the side of the hole.  Had to chip away at the ice to free it, nice problem to have.....

Offline canada_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I finally had a chance to try mine out with 3.17.  I love it.  I fish next to a troller and found it was easier to tune each other  out and I pick up a bunch of fish that the troller doesn't (just bottom huggers).  I didn't have to change my sensitivity very much at all.  I fished on a setting of 5 all day.  Overall there seemed to be less noise on the screen.  I was fishing in 30 FOW.  I love this machine and love that it is upgradable.  I'm half debating upgrading it to an lx-9 but the cost of the upgrade is a bit high.
I hope everyone is enjoying their unit as much a I am.    :)

CM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.