The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: plastic windows  (Read 1279 times)

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
plastic windows
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:44 AM »
is there anyplace that has scrap clear lexan in southern maine or a place where i can get some fairly cheap. if not what did u use for windows in your shack.  thanks cory.   ???
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
Re: plastic windows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I've always just bought a couple pieces at Home depot, lowes, EBS or a ACE hardware.  You could also look for free window sashes in uncle henry's or craigslist. I've used those too. 
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline grouper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Another idea is to look for picture frames with plexiglass.  I find them at my transfer station people are always getting rid of good stuff that I can re purpose.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Home Depot and Lowes get's a mint for Lexan or the cheaper knock off brand. expect to pay $40 for a 2x4 sheet of the stuff.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline whitefishlover

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Depends on how big, but my local Aubuchon gave me some scraps like 1 X 1..........But for my new one, Home Depot was the place.......bought a sheet, can't remember the price, but they will cut it to sive for you rite there, was not too expensive.
"A bad day of fishin' is much  better than a good day of work" :)

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Just go to your town dump or transfer station.Should find old windows or glass there.I found small thermal pane windows they fit between 24" o.c studs.Less $$$

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:43 PM »
goto maine hardware and see if there willing to get rid of some of there small scrap.... that isnt big enough to sell i`m sure the just dump it its like scrap in a woodshop it just piles up..... worth a try.....

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:01 PM »
I bought some thermopane vinyl replacement sashes for $10 each from a local building products distributor.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline GMMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:13 PM »
I called my local glass shop (portland glass) and gave them the size and they cut and prepped for me for pick up, was relatively cheep.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:03 PM »
I called my local glass shop (portland glass) and gave them the size and they cut and prepped for me for pick up, was relatively cheep.
I've done the same, but I just gave the minimum size and they looked for an acceptable scrap, very short money. I cut it on a tablesaw
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline mikecyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:30 PM »
I work for a sign shop in Scarborough that has a lot of 1mm clear lexan remnants that measure about 32" x 48". I can get you a price per sq/ft if you'd like...PM me...
Be good or have fun!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:10 AM »
If you dont need to cut the tempered glass to size cause you are building a frame around whatever you can get,.... old leaker aquariums. You can get them for free, and cut the glass apart with a razor blade. Extra thick stuff.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline hornberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:47 PM »
You can buy 2x2 sliding vinyl windows online at home depot. I ordered mine i think i paid 25$ a piece!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Check "re-store" in portland or portsmouth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.