The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: POWER AUGERS..which one to get  (Read 3634 times)

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
Re: POWER AUGERS..which one to get
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:45 AM »
I prefer an 8" over a 6".  I am a walleye guy so for me the 8" makes landing those waldos a little easier.  I imagine the guys chasing those pike use at least an 8" too.  I hate walking out on the ice where someone has drilled a bunch of 10" holes.....it's no fun stepping into one of those!  Even worse if you bring your kid out there and there are 10" holes.  Not very safe
Couple years back a buddy of mine went thru our 10" hole as we were just getting there. He has a sz 14 boot so it aint just kids. Took almost all day to get his leg dried out
Just another day on the ice!!!

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:28 PM »
has anyone ever heard of *Glenn's outdoors* out of Minnesota...they have a Eskimo Z71.10" gas auger for 349.95. any thoughts about Eskimo augers? are they well built, or would you suggest a different auger?.strike master..jiffy..???????never owned a gas auger so this is quite a investment for me..I don't want to throw away money and plan on having this for the rest of my life..*or till my wife kills me for spending so much on fishing* ;D ;D ;D so tell me what you think and what kind you have or would get.  thanks. ;)

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I have bought from Glenns before and been very happy

Now with a suggestion on what auger to get, everyone has different needs so i would read reviews and decide if you want to go with gas or electric

good luck

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Ive been using a 19.2v cordless drill and auger adaptor for a couple years now, works great. I get 10-12 holes in 8" ice off one battery. The correct adaptor is key or you,ll pull the chuck out of your drill. Mine has a nylon strap that wraps around the drill, so you pull back on the drill body not just the chuck. Take an extra battery and your good for a day.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:58 PM »
i own three augers, 2 lazers and a (free-be mora that i do not use) and use a drill attachment by strike master with a ridgid brand hammer drill 24 volts ($270.00 retail) on drill mode setting speed number one. i get about 56 holes per battery and came with 2 batteries on the 4" lazer auger.  throws the ice away from auger a good 15" at least when starting to drill ice.

what i like best about this set up is i did not spend a lot just to drill holes in ice. i can drill just about any thing and so very versatile. just makes more sense to me rather than spend a lot to drill ice holes only.

no smoke or stink or stains or potential fire or explosions from carrying gas, no start problems and very quiet!

down side would be if you need more holes that 2 batteries gets ya, but then i always carry the handle just in case. could get more batteries too.

btw, ridgid brand tools from home depot are life time warranted inc. batteries.

Offline fishflint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:08 PM »
nils

/thread

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:32 PM »
I have a white lightning Jiffy auger 8". This works fine as long as u give it time to warm up before drilling. I would like to sell this and go with a propane auger instead. I saw a guy using a new battery operated auger thru 8" of ice. It seemed like it worked pretty good, but I wonder how much it costs to replace batteries when their life is up.

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 PM »
my buddy has a strikemaster solo and he didnt use it for two years switched out the gas and it started first pull the thing is awesome i know when i get a power auger that is what its going to be. but the niles auger is crazy fast and easy as well.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:07 PM »
If you dont go to a power auger the NILs is your only real option. We all have reasons our auger is better than theirs. Mine is better because its yellow and the rest of them arent  ;) ;) ;)

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I have an eskimo mako. It is built very well and hasn't let me down yet. This is my third season with it now. Best part is even after sitting inside all spring, summer, and fall she starts right up on the first pull in winter.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:12 PM »
NEW Strikemaster Honda 4-stroke

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Love my ICEGATOR I can punch 100+ 8" holes in 12" of ice before a charge. Fastest power auger over the counter electric or gas. It does not stink or sound like a junk dirt bike or sick chainsaw. No cord to break, no plugs to foul, no mixing, no warming up either. It does not piss off the lake residents at night either. Hit the button and go...

http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I too have the gator best thing I've ever owned! But if I have to buy a 3rd one it will be the strikematser light 4stroke. Just for reliability..I just hate a 8" hole..I've never caught a fish I couldn't get through a 6" hole..hope you find what ya need..

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Well I had a Jiffy model 30 with a 9 inch cut and replaced it with a Strikemaster Lazer Pro 10 inch just over a month ago. The Jiffy never let me down but I wanted one that was gonna last the rest of my ice fishing days. So I read alot of reviews and originaly wanted a propane but read some very bad reviews so I started over.....then I compared the prices of replacement blades, reviews, weight, more reviews. Then for my 50th birthday my wife purchased me the strikemaster Lazer pro and about flipped me out as she paid me more attention than I had thought!! But back to the lou.... I can only compare a Jiffy model 30 and my new one, MY NEW ONE HANDS DOWN and it rips thru the ice like hot butter but a a price of $519+tax. Hope this helps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.