The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: POWER AUGERS..which one to get  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
POWER AUGERS..which one to get
« on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:43 PM »
I realize there have probably been numerous posts on this topic, but what kind of auger would you all recommend. Im going for portable, good pricing but not dirt cheap, how quick it can get through the ice, etc. I have just used my brothers strikmaster Mora hand auger he bought when we first started 5 yrs ago and plan on getting my own for next year. any suggestions appreciated
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: POWER AUGERS..which one to get
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:12 AM »
Hand auger strikemaster lazer power jiffy 2 hp
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:49 AM »
Mora 6" and a jiffy stealth stx 2hp 8". Its all i will own!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:05 AM »
                                    I have a Eskimo 7" & a sharpener, it cuts nice I sharpen it evey time out
                                    no problem going thru 6" of ice in seconds...
images.jpeg

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:10 AM »
depends on how much money you want to spend.  I love my 6" mora for the price its a great deal.  I also like my 8" lazer.  keep the blades good and they get the job done.  If i had the money I wouldnt mind upgrading to a 8" nils.  But its not needed so I will pass for now.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Entry level Mora - stay away.  HT - Stay away.  You get what you pay for.   ::)

Fin-Bore III - blades are ultra sharp, offset handle design makes effort cutting through the ice minimal as you use both arms.  Look at all the others where their handles are.  This really works better! Cuts like a hot knife through butter.  They go for about $90.   Several hundred holes using the same blades without sharpening for the past four seasons.   :tipup:   Contact Fish307.com   They look like they are out of stock at the moment, but they will likely order if you ask and they can get them in.

Strikemaster Lazer - OK (blades are same as Fin-Bore IF it says made in Sweden!)  If Strikemaster were allowed to make the offset handle here in the US, it would be at the top of my recomendation list.  Since it doesn't have it, I give the nod to the Fin-Bore III.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:52 AM »
I realize there have probably been numerous posts on this topic, but what kind of auger would you all recommend. Im going for portable, good pricing but not dirt cheap, how quick it can get through the ice, etc. I have just used my brothers strikmaster Mora hand auger he bought when we first started 5 yrs ago and plan on getting my own for next year. any suggestions appreciated
with out a doubt (lazer) cuts very quick (I have mine 4 years and have not had to change the blades-just sharpened them 1 time per season)

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Well you cant go wrong with a Nils. You'll never even think if owning a power auger after you try a Nils.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:21 AM »
I was in the market for a auger this year and went 6" lazer imo you dont need bigger then a 6" hole and those lazers cut through the ice easy enough not to justify another $40 for a nills

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Nils hand or power,not cheap,but worth the money

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:53 AM »
" Cuts like a knife through hot butter."

dont you mean a hot knife through butter? lol just busting. fish on!

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:54 AM »
" Cuts like a knife through hot butter."

dont you mean a hot knife through butter? lol just busting. fish on!

LOL!  Sorry,  :o  I got confused talking about the entry level Mora with the Chinese blades.   ;D

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:01 AM »
No one that I know with a Nils gives ANY thought to owning another auger...... none, zero, zilch, nada, etc.....

Everyone I know with a Mora or Lazer is simply 'making do' with something and will drop it in a heartbeat once they use a Nils......

Are Nils more expensive? Yes... Can they be tempermental? No more than any other....But most people I know have sold their power augers once they get their Nils and just don't look back......

Use the search function and read read read..... I don't get why people hear such good reviews of the Nils yet still continue to wonder what makes them so different.... none of us are paid by Nils; we simply know that they are far better than the blue or black augers we've all had before and 'given' away  ;)
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I just bought a Nils 6 inch capable of using a cordless drill or a handle ..used it sunday with the handle worked great was effortless to use gonna use my Dewalt 18volt next time i go I'll let you know how it works....

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Entry level Mora - stay away.  HT - Stay away.  You get what you pay for.   ::)

Fin-Bore III - blades are ultra sharp, offset handle design makes effort cutting through the ice minimal as you use both arms.  Look at all the others where their handles are.  This really works better! Cuts like a hot knife through butter.  They go for about $90.   Several hundred holes using the same blades without sharpening for the past four seasons.   :tipup:   Contact Fish307.com   They look like they are out of stock at the moment, but they will likely order if you ask and they can get them in.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm gonna second that ...

Strikemaster Lazer - OK (blades are same as Fin-Bore IF it says made in Sweden!)  If Strikemaster were allowed to make the offset handle here in the US, it would be at the top of my recomendation list.  Since it doesn't have it, I give the nod to the Fin-Bore III.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I won't be getting my own for this ice season but I will be getting one for next year.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:29 PM »
Strikemaster Lazer Mag.
Master Laker taker.

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:00 PM »
I got a nils.  Love it.  I will get another size if they would stay in stock anywhere.  That should tell you something. Pricey.... A little, But worth it.  I bought a 8" and I crank through 12" + w/o to much trouble.  3 years and have not had it sharpened yet!!!! still awesome.  I have also heard the same about the finbore.  You have to have a good auger...... it is the most necessary piece of equip you need.  Can't fish w/o a hole!!  And you will drill many!  Nils or finbore for me.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I got a nils.  Love it.  I will get another size if they would stay in stock anywhere.  That should tell you something. Pricey.... A little, But worth it.  I bought a 8" and I crank through 12" + w/o to much trouble.  3 years and have not had it sharpened yet!!!! still awesome.  I have also heard the same about the finbore.  You have to have a good auger...... it is the most necessary piece of equip you need.  Can't fish w/o a hole!!  And you will drill many!  Nils or finbore for me.
Ik what u mean about the holes, I've been at this for 5 yrs now and drilled a lot of holes

Offline troyallen2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:21 PM »
I picked up a jiffy pro 4 propane auger last year . It is alittle bit heavier than the 30 which i have always sworn by and it was a little more expensive but I absolutely love it . You dont have to worry about mixing gas or adjusting the carburator or draining the fuel at the end of the season. All you need is a one pound propane bottle and that lasts for about 150 holes . It starts within two pulls everytime doesnt matter if its -10 degrees or 40 and it pulls over so easy my 7 year old son can start it no problem. If you are really serious about getting a power auger then in my oppinion this is the one .

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I prefer an 8" over a 6".  I am a walleye guy so for me the 8" makes landing those waldos a little easier.  I imagine the guys chasing those pike use at least an 8" too.  I hate walking out on the ice where someone has drilled a bunch of 10" holes.....it's no fun stepping into one of those!  Even worse if you bring your kid out there and there are 10" holes.  Not very safe
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:40 PM »
No one that I know with a Nils gives ANY thought to owning another auger...... none, zero, zilch, nada, etc.....

Everyone I know with a Mora or Lazer is simply 'making do' with something and will drop it in a heartbeat once they use a Nils......

Are Nils more expensive? Yes... Can they be tempermental? No more than any other....But most people I know have sold their power augers once they get their Nils and just don't look back......

Use the search function and read read read..... I don't get why people hear such good reviews of the Nils yet still continue to wonder what makes them so different.... none of us are paid by Nils; we simply know that they are far better than the blue or black augers we've all had before and 'given' away  ;)

I beg to differ.... I had a Nils... They are great but not the only answer out there...
I'll race anyone with a 6in Nils vs my 6in Lazer(w off-set handle). If they have drilled TONS of holes then it would probably be a dead heat most of the time...  @)
Lots of iffs, n butts, and whats but Nils heads need to be babbied a tad more and if the edge gets rolled you can cut quicker holes with a salt shaker. Yes that can be re-sharpened easier and more ofter though...
Lots of options out there with off-set handles as good as a nils. And for folks that cant use them, Lazers are a great option. Hopefully Strikemaster brings back the off-set...

Offline ZACHAKABIRDIE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lets go fishing!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:51 PM »
i have an ancient ESKIMO auger that i cant seem to get started. ive put fresh gas in her and a new spark plug but she still wont turn over. common problems/fixes??? (my hand auger is good but 30 somethin holes gets tiring) :P
TOURNAMENT BOUND!

Offline uglystickjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice ?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:20 PM »
i have a finbore 3 i bought from wiggley worm about 10 yrs ago... changed blades once because i was a little close to shore at the dead sea ..... ;D....best feature to me is the folding handle ... very compact...fits in my sled nicely... 6 inch hole makes things interesting some times .....
*REMOVED*

Fishmon

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I have a 6" Fin Bor that I purchased from Fish 307 3 years ago and it cuts like a bandit.  I think I paid $78 for it - worth every penny.  I also have an 8" Nils that I use for Lake Trout fishing on the King.  Hasn't got much use lately, but it cuts like crazy with little effort on my part.  If you go for a Nils, be careful  not to abuse it or let friends that don't know how to use an auger abuse it.  The blades don't tolerate banging on ice, etc.

Offline TheDeadSea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2013, 03:29 PM »
I love my eskimo!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2013, 03:57 PM »
gillpill, i live in victor. we should join up and fish together since i live in victor. i have a mora 6". works fine. over 10 yrs old and i never replaced the blades. i have a friend with a nils. never tried it

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:41 PM »
gillpill, i live in victor. we should join up and fish together since i live in victor. i have a mora 6". works fine. over 10 yrs old and i never replaced the blades. i have a friend with a nils. never tried it
heck yea man, that would be cool, especially seeing i dont have a vehicle

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:21 AM »
I beg to differ.... I had a Nils... They are great but not the only answer out there...
I'll race anyone with a 6in Nils vs my 6in Lazer(w off-set handle). If they have drilled TONS of holes then it would probably be a dead heat most of the time...  @)
Lots of iffs, n butts, and whats but Nils heads need to be babbied a tad more and if the edge gets rolled you can cut quicker holes with a salt shaker. Yes that can be re-sharpened easier and more ofter though...
Lots of options out there with off-set handles as good as a nils. And for folks that cant use them, Lazers are a great option. Hopefully Strikemaster brings back the off-set...

agreed  and if they dont  just make your own  ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMWeFWRe-j4

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:21 AM »

DC, I love you to death...but, I will take the Pepsi Challenge all day long against your Strikemaster junk ;D
I have bee using the same 4.5", 6" and 8" for over 7 years and have yet to either sharpen or change blades...you :P
Apparently the ice in the Southern Tier is different than that in Madison County :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Don't be a hater now ;)
AW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.