Author Topic: vexilar vs. marcum  (Read 4874 times)

Offline #hardwaterisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
vexilar vs. marcum
« on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Hey guys, I need some help. My dad wants to buy a flasher. I use the fl-18 and he likes that. I know marcums are cheaper and a quality product and would like to know what model is comparable to the fl-18. Are you sacrificing quality by not buying a vex?
You don't need a power auger for 4 inches of ice!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: vexilar vs. marcum
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Marcum vx 1 is very comparable to the vexilar fl18 in terms of features, the marcum also comes with a soft case to keep it nice.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Apples for apples your getting more for less with a vx-1 pro...
That being said any unit will work just fine. It is up to the individual to interpret what your seeing between the fish, lure, bottom, etc and make the necessary adjustment and presentation. The brand dosnt catch the fish...
In no way are you sacrificing quality. I have 2 lx-3 that have been used hard for 7-8 years with no issues. Also have a fl-8 from 92' that i sold many years ago and it's going strong. Top notch customer service with Marcum iffin you do have an issue.
I "made the switch" based on crispness of display, target id/seperation, quiet, and made in the USA...

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I have had both and kept the marcum lx5 for one reason adjustable zoom. I do miss the old vex ultra 18 though. I think the vex was easier on the battery. and liked the stand better might put the marcum on a vex ultra stand. tried a bird and it was gone within hours  hated it.

Offline #hardwaterisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Thanks guys. Big reason I'm wondering is because vexilars just keep going up in price! I appreciate the input

Offline pickles1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:57 PM »
Don't worry builder im taking good care of the old vex. Lol

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:06 PM »
rub it in pickles.  Thats just mean.
one more plus for vex it fits in the bucket I miss that part too.  :'(

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:10 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH! Not this again ::) but my FL20 is awesome

Offline pickles1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Lol builder just thought I'd throw that out there.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Thanks guys. Big reason I'm wondering is because vexilars just keep going up in price! I appreciate the input

It's funny you shall say this because I thought the price was going up every year as well.

I bought my Vexilar three years ago because of reading reports that Marcum's are too strong and showed reports of messing with fishes lateral line. True? Not sure, and I've never had anything besides my Vexilar to compare the pros and cons... Guess bottom line is everyone prefers something different but both do the same, like Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc.... I would stick to the one you know that works though.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:21 PM »

ARGUMENTS ARE*

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Quackstacker14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Humminbird ice 55

Offline jeffy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:05 PM »
i have a marcum lx3tc and a bird 55 . if you want something quiet get a marcum the bird makes a little noise but my buddy's coffee grinder i mean vexilar fl what ever is so loud i can hear it from my tent , ten feet away .    as far as target separation marcum hands down but small screen only one person can view it  the bird 55 large screen two people can view it in a ice shack and i can also run both at the same time and little to no interference just my 2 cents

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:23 PM »
                          marcum american made & stand by there products...   buy made in america...
images.jpeg

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:36 AM »
I also have the vx1. It has bottom lock and interference rejection which is what I like when my vexillar pals sit next to me and try to out fish me Haha. Seriously I think the vx 1 is comparable to the floor 18 and if you look online at reeds or gander you can get one on sale which is typically around 279$. Both machines are great tho

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:04 AM »
Real time sonar is what you want. Microprocessors do not represent real time views. Period. Your choice in manufactures. Most important is real time viewing.

Offline fish off

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:23 AM »
Fl 18 and Fl20 stick with what I know user friendly options the hummingbirds and marcums have too many unusable options who needs to be able to change graph colors

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:00 AM »
I have owned the fl-8,18 and 20 now own a marcum lx5. I was stuck in the vex is only good flasher out there mind set without even trying the rest. I now know marcum is far better in separation, crisp display and options for your money. Made in USA. If you want a unit like the fl-18 which is a good unit and my fave from the vex line I would go with the vx-1 pro or a lx-3tc. With the lx3tc you get moveable zoom not just bottom 6 ft if that is a feature you are looking for.... You can also find used fl-18s out there but for the price of a vx-1 pro which is  little better with options for price and warranty. Hope this helps...
Fishin red lines

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:19 AM »
who needs to be able to change graph colors

The ability to change the color is good for people who are colorblind and can't see certain colors. I have a few friends that are colorblind, one who icefishes, and by changing the colors they will be able to see the signal colors. I think when I get a full-time job I'm going to go with the LX-7 as my next flasher if there isn't a better one that that on the market (I'm sure their will be) as for a camera and flasher combined I have no need for it.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:36 AM »
I have a FL 20 and a VX1P.  I have also owned other Vex products, along with an H-Bird Ice 45.  I'm selling the Marcum and getting another Vex.  Probably an FL18.  IMO, the Marcums are cheaply made units. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Marcum vx 1 is very comparable to the vexilar fl18 in terms of features, the marcum also comes with a soft case to keep it nice.

and is 150-200 bucks less.

as far as build quality and durabilty, i give vexilar the nod.  but everything else, i give to marcum. 

you will hear 100 times over that they all catch fish but so does a stick, line, and hook but we've all mostly graduated from that too.   

all flashers will perform for 75% of all fishing situations.  its a matter of finding out how much you fish the other 25% and which one gives you the best ability to do so.

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Real time sonar is what you want. Microprocessors do not represent real time views. Period.

You do not believe DSP is returning what is happening below at the same rate as an analog device?  DSP technology has been around since the 1950's, it's the algorithms and the technology back then that made DSP crude.  As technology has advanced (computers, micro circuit) so has the efficiency of DSP.

Vex is analog which is time tested and does what it intends to do but offers nothing more, a micro circuitry based unit offers so much more capability, look at what a competitor did with integrating the camera and flasher.

Put an analog device down the hole with a DSP device, tie a jig on and compare the return signals, you will never see the difference.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:50 AM »
its probably not but not at any rate thats discernable to the naked eye.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:20 PM »
Until the Fl18 drops to the price of the VX1, I would choose the Marcum every time.  As for the higher end units by Marcum (LX3 and up) Vexilar doesn't make anything that can compete.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Until the Fl18 drops to the price of the VX1, I would choose the Marcum every time.  As for the higher end units by Marcum (LX3 and up) Vexilar doesn't make anything that can compete.

What he said....

Offline #hardwaterisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Wow thank you to all for responding. You have given me alot of pros and cons and things that will help with the decision. I appreciate everyone a input!!!!

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:03 PM »
IMO got to Sportsman Guide and join there club which costs $29.99YR. You then can buy a new LX5 and save $50! You save $20! Plus anything you order from them for the next year is 10% off. I had the FL 22 and it was a great unit,but it also costs $639! For almost $200 less you can have an Marcum LX 5 that is just as good maybe even alittle better (sorry vex guys ::)) than the FL 22 IMO. I just got mine this year and have only used it a dozen times but can already tell its a really nice unit.
 Goos Luck!
  Matt

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:21 PM »
I like it much better then the 20 I had. Would take it over buddys 22"HD"
Fishin red lines

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:34 PM »
MARCUM all the way!  You're not sacrificing anything going with a Marcum over a Vexilar just getting a better quality machine for LESS money.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:14 AM »
VX1 is $249 at Fleet Farm this week - In comparison my buddy got a refurbed FL-18 Pro Pack on Vexilar.com for $389.  I'm fine with refurbs, but a $140 delta is a lot in my opinion

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.