New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: canadice Lake  (Read 8653 times)

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
canadice Lake
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:31 PM »
     Checked Canadice lake this afternoon,   South end froze over, most of the lake is still open! 26 Degrees! Slight wind!
If it is not windy tonight,I think it will lock up! Next week should be good! Looking forward to jigging some smelt!! I can stay close to shore that way!! Lakers will come later
                                                                                                        Stay safe,   
                                                                                                                    Gary

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canadice Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:07 PM »
     Checked Canadice lake this afternoon,   South end froze over, most of the lake is still open! 29 Degrees! Strong wind! White caps
If it is not windy tonight,I think it will lock up! Next week should be good! Looking forward to jigging some smelt!! I can stay close to shore that way!! Lakers will come later
                                                                                                        Stay safe,   
  Checked lake again today, Still open   Need Cold calm night!!!                                                                                                                  Gary

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: canadice Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Thanks for the report .  :tipup:

I was wondering if you were going to show up here this season .

Offline FishinMagician

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:49 AM »
I've never tried Canadice on the ice, but love it from my kayak. Is the road to the launch passable without 4WD as long as there hasn't been a recent big snow?

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:46 PM »
    Still open as of noon today . 30 degrees    That road is plowed year round!

Offline FishinMagician

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Good to know I can get to the water. Now I just have to hope it gets cold enough that I can get ON the water at some point this year.

Thanks.

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:27 PM »
  Canadice starting to ice over on south end   20 degrees no wind

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:27 PM »
nice , would love to know what its like by the time the weekend rolls around

Offline FishinMagician

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Just starting to ice over? Looking at the short term and longer term weather, it looks like this weekend might be iffy, and the ice might be gone again by next weekend.  I really want to try Canadice, but not bad enough to risk a swim.  Hopefully, some more reports can build my confidence, or I'll be the guy two feet off shore tethered to the nearest tree with a rope!

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:58 PM »
    I will check it every day     Want to get into the smelt!!!Lakers will be a while yet!

Offline ESKIMOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:36 AM »
i seen tire tracks by 15a boat access ramp yesterday ???

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Lake froze mostly over from canoe launch south.   Most of the deep water is still open. 7 degrees at noon   1\22\13

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:53 PM »
I checked the lake today around noon. had 3 inches of ice close to shore.  less father out. whole lake is froze over.
we should be able to get out for smelt this weekend or next week It is 6 degrees out now It will still be a while before I will get out in the center of the lake for lakers.
                                                                Gary

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:18 PM »
wow, cant beleive theres 3 in...black ice?  how far off shore did u walk? should freeze at a decent rate with these temps

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:28 PM »
It has been two yrs of waiting to get some smelt. Finally, some good news. Thanks

Offline Mkowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:32 PM »
hope to try to fish some laker's this year

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:19 PM »
          Checked the lake again this afternoon . There was about 2 inches of ice. I drilled four holes. think i will try to get some smelt sat. night.
I went off the boat launch. but remember there is a creek to the right of the launch   stay safe
                                                                                                                                                       Gary

Offline mahnsba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:43 PM »
what depth do you guys usually get the lakers at in canadice?  i've seen guys out in the middle of the lake before and can only imagine they're jigging for lakers

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:04 PM »
what depth do you guys usually get the lakers at in canadice?  i've seen guys out in the middle of the lake before and can only imagine they're jigging for lakers

Deepest parts of the lake best for me for lakers.  Lakers can be just about anywhere suspended in the water column - from right on the bottom to 10 feet below the ice.  Have a chart or flasher really helps. 

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:33 AM »
last time i fished there was for pickeral at the south end 10+ years ago i gotta newbie this weekend and am looking for the combo of fish and not a lot of snow to walk through with convient bait shop.  There used to be one just north of the lake in a small town Is that shop still there?  or am i off my rocker.  normally i would take him to sodus for perch but i have some back issues so i cant handle the trudge through the snow like i used to.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:43 AM »
There is a bait shop link at the top of the page with a map.It says there are a couple 3 miles south of Conesus Ifishy.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:11 AM »
You can also have good luck sight fishing along the weed edges using Sutton spoons or other flashy flutter spoon with no minnows.I know you have some of those.I have had great success doing that and it's a blast. 

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:51 PM »
GT, any update today? im headin over early sat mornin west side in the middle someplace prolly,  anyone else gunna be out there?   or if somone wants to meet up, someones meetin me at 10 or so but im gettin there at 7 prolly 

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:57 PM »
ive spent some time on the bait shop map and saw the one south of conesus if i can get a answer to my phone calles that there open than i will be fishing conesus this year i come from east of there though so its a lot of extra driving to canadaice. when i dont have the newbie and i wanna try to trout fish thats a good option.  i know when i used to fish there i would always end up pulling a pick or two up on a swedish pimple but something about flying flags and running to get them always gets the new guys hooked.  I got him into trolling seneca this year which was cool so if i can get him into ice fishing its a year round fishing buddy.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:20 AM »
    Went to lake with my son last night for some smelt.
                                                              ANYONE KNOW A RECIPE TO MAKE A FISH FRY FROM ONE SMELT????

Fish were turned off.
                                   At least I did not get skunked!!!
                                                                                    I was hoping to get four so I could say I got a few!!!LOL
                                                                                         Thats why they call it fishing!!!
                                                                                                                                                Gary

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Checked Canadice lake this afternoon! OPEN water Hopeing it locks up again!
                                                                                                                                      Gary

Offline letsfish2day

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Looks like another year of crappie ice fishing. >:(Cant believe 2 years in a row

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:00 PM »

Checked the lake this afternoon,North end is locked up from the dam to the boat launch!!!
   I THINK the south end is also froze over also! Deep water is still open!!!
                                                                                                                         Gary

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Thanks for the updates GT66pony hopefully get another trip or two before season ends.

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:19 PM »

I checked the lake again today . Deep water still open!! Froze over from boat to the dam! There was a couple of guys fishing just north of the boat launch! They were out quite deep!
                                                                    Gary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.