Author Topic: 4 Way White Fish....Lots of Photos..Beware  (Read 6102 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
4 Way White Fish....Lots of Photos..Beware
« on: Mar 17, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Ok, You may or may not have seen my post called "A slow day on cooks bay". It was all about an outing that I got skunked on. Well a Friend at work sent out her 82 year old neighbor to catch a fish for me, and show me up. which he did. So he brought me home a beauty white fish. I had never prepared whites before so i started looking into some websites. I found some recipes that I thought looked really good and could not decide so I made for of them.

Here is the Nice Whitey ready for the board
[/img]

I New if I was going to serve four dishes I would have to fillet this baby, then I got the idea to cut each fillet into 8 pieces (1.5 Inches each). We were having company and I wanted all four of us to be able to try one piece of each dish

[/img]
[/img]

After I cut each fillet into 8 pieces I then decided to take the advice of some fellow IceShanty members and give the fish a quick boil in salt water to get rid of the fishy taste.

[/img]

The First recipe was a bacon wrapped stuffed whitefish with wild rice and Havarti cheese.SO I separated the longest pieces of meet from the middle of the fish and wrapped them with bacon. i then steamed some wild rice and sauteed some of the left over bacon.

[/img]
[/img]

I then combined the mixture of rice and bacon with the Havarti cheese and stuffed them, threw them in the over for about 30 minutes on 375. these next 2 photos are the before and after

[/img]
[/img]

So the second recipe I decided to do was just a simple Garlic butter and Dill fried Fish. This guy speaks for him self. I took the four peices of fish and tossed them with some flour,slat and dill

[/img]

I gave the bottom of the pan a healthy dose of garlic butter and fired until golden brown. So simple and very tasty.

The Third recipe was a variantion from the website mentioned above and in a previous post. This is a Sweet and Sour Grilled Whitefish. The recipe called for a mixture of tomato sauce and lemon juice and brown sugar. The simple version I did was mixed one of my favorite spicy honey garlic BBQ sauces with some spicy plum sauce the wife saves for Chinese food. I then gave the fish a good soak for a few hours

and since I had the gas cooktop, the oven and the deep fryer going, I decided not to try to run to the BBQ and just used the trusty George forman grill. works like a charm

For the Fourth and Final recipe I decided to try something different. Deep Fried with a corndog batter. I grab some wooden skewers left over from last years BBQ season and loaded a piece of white onto each

Then I quickly whipped up a very basic corndog batter and gave each piece of fish a healthy coating. (If anyone else has a good corndog batter recipe let me know, mines pretty bland). Then into the fryer until golden brown.

As you can probably guess this was a lot of work, but I timed it perfectly and everything finished up as my friends arrived. I though it was a great way to experiment with a fish I had never really had be for. For my money in the future the garlic fried and bacon wrapped are the tastiest of the recipes. Enjoy, If you made it this far here is a photo of the whole lot as it hit the table

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Re: 4 Way White Fish....Lots of Photos..Beware
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2005, 04:26 PM »
All I got is red X's!

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Sorry man, I was not thinking after I loaded all the pics on the site I whent back and cleaned out my photobucket thinking they were going to be ok. Well as you saw when you remove a photo from the photo bucket it also leaves the site

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:13 PM »
I see it, nice pics, thanks alot for the instructions, they look good!
Too bad whitefish are uncommon around here... :-[

-Wes

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Thanx Slipbob, I love to cook, just about as much as I love to fish. And I love to try new things. If your member of Myfishfinder, wait for a few days and I will be posting my 4 way Small mouth from last year. Not as many pics, but it was just as much fun 1) Garlic Butter and Dill w/Shrimp smallie 2) Smallie With Roasted Tomato and Postabello's, 3) Pan fried with crouton crumbs & rosemary and I cant remember the last one so it may have only been a 3 way. look forward to share some recipies in the future

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Man, it totally sucks to read this while waiting for the wife to get home.  Especially since I don't think dinner will be nearly as good as yours.   :-\
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Now that's some cooking!
Were your guests impressed?
I would have been. Good job!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Yes, they seemed to enjoy it. No one was to sure about the corndog style, but they all came around. Who can complain about a free meal!

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont catch today? There is alway's tommorow!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Good Job man, now I am super hungry. Delicious pics!!! :o :o :o :o
<'(()))<

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Much better! Mmmmmmm hungry now. **Must catch bigger whitefish**

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I know it is shamless to bump your own post..but I was looking for my old receipes for the IS cookbooks, and remembered i posted a ton of pics back in 2006...receipes will be sent in to IS for those interested

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2008, 08:23 AM »
well I'm glad you bumped it...sweet recipes there, junky!  Hopefully I'll have some whitefish to try them out on this year....do you have anything for trout? 
The harder the better!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Awesome looking eats. Have you ever pickled any Whitefish? I love it that way as well.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:40 PM »
looks great I heard white fish are the haddock of fresh water they are gamie tasting ???

no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:57 PM »
wow looks like a meal fit for a king. I've never had whitefish but it sure looks tasty.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2008, 05:28 PM »
Awesome looking eats. Have you ever pickled any Whitefish?

No, It's funny, I will pretty much try eating anything, but pickled fish has always thrown me off...ever since my days working a greek buffet as a kid..that pickeled Herring use to stink.

I heard white fish are the haddock of fresh water they are gamie tasting

yeah they can have some serious fish taste to them...almost every receipe i have ever found on-line for them does said to pre-boil

Offline ski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:31 AM »
Does boiling them help  If so could you tell me how long you boil them for??How much salt to water do you use

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:31 PM »
I lightly salt the water, and you are jsut giving them a quick poach, 30 seconds to a minute at the most. It helps remove some of the oils that give the fish a fishy taste

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.