Author Topic: Cold Weather Fishing Gloves  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cold Weather Fishing Gloves
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:05 AM »
I have a pair of ice armor mitts that I like to use.  I also got a pair of smaller tighter gloves that were supposed to be waterproof but aren't.  Is there a good glove that is waterproof and still pretty tight so i can use all my fingers? I still want to be able to pull them on and off easily. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cold Weather Fishing Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:08 PM »
I have a pair of striker ice gloves and they are real nice. They pull on and off real easily and they aren't too bulky like my ice armor gloves.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:29 AM »
I'm looking for something even smaller.  I saw some that were called "shooting gloves" and some called "jigging gloves" they fit tight to your fingers but slid on and off easily.   Problem is that they weren't waterproof. 

Offline MSice27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:03 PM »
i use a pair of neoprene gloves. they are thin enough to tie knots, with some getting used to. very warm for there thickness and i can put my hand in a hole and not get wet! plus the were cheap.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:41 PM »
I like ragg wool gloves. Dexterity is good and they are warm even when wet.

WS

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:10 PM »
I like rag wool gloves. Dexterity is good and they are warm even when wet.

WS

I love my wool gloves.  They go very well with my army surplus arctic mittens. One still needs to do some things bare handed and the mittens warm the hands quickly so one can go back to the utility wool glovesl
Thread killer

Offline Griff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:16 AM »
I like rag wool gloves. Dexterity is good and they are warm even when wet.

WS
I love wool. I use a pair of convertible wool mittens, but my only problem is finding a pair that's well made. I can only get a season out of the mittens before the wool starts to unravel or the thinsulate stitching breaks.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:25 AM »
I love wool. I use a pair of convertible wool mittens, but my only problem is finding a pair that's well made. I can only get a season out of the mittens before the wool starts to unravel or the thinsulate stitching breaks.

Have you tried the Cabelas Gloves? I haven't but was wondering if others have.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-10037-Ragg-Wool-Glomitts/750034.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwool%2Bgloves%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wool+gloves&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
<===Lefty===

Offline ocburg17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:01 PM »
SealSkinz are waterproof and not very obtrusive, but I did read that they became less waterproof if stretched.  I couldn't find them local and the cost for ordering them wasn't to my liking.  Others have talked highly of them.

The last few years I've used Under Armour liner gloves.  Not waterproof, but wicked sweat from your hands, were able to fit under larger gloves and dried very quickly.  This year they wore out from use; I got my money worth.

I since purchased some Under Armour running gloves that are made out of their new storm fabric.  It is suppose to not only wick water away but also be water repellant (not water proof).  I tried them in the sink and they will definitely be an upgrade from the liner gloves.  I'll be testing them out this weekend on my fishing trip. 

Offline fishingthewaylifeshouldbe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:17 PM »
I have a pair of warm work gloves with rubber palms and inside fingers that work well and are cheap. They are relativity water proof However, they don't hold up that well, any suggestions?

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:21 PM »
I have issues with gloves as well. I think what I'm going to try is a thin pair of gloves and wear one of the hand muffs like quarterbacks wear... Like this one here...

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Clam-IceArmor-Hand-Muff-386p2470.htm

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:22 AM »
I have issues with gloves as well. I think what I'm going to try is a thin pair of gloves and wear one of the hand muffs like quarterbacks wear... Like this one here...

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Clam-IceArmor-Hand-Muff-386p2470.htm

i have the hand muff and don't like it.   if you want warm fingers then try neoprene gloves like 3mm thick or more thick. the best ever made is neo the same stuff steel headers use for winter waders ;) if they tell you other wise they never been steel heading in these temps like-3*f  etc...all the way to-70*f any ways best of luck...

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:32 AM »
I found the best for me is mitts with a hand warmer in them. I also wear wool gloves with the fingers cut off.  I need bare fingers to remove hooks and bait hooks too.
Gator Nation

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:59 AM »
I only wear ragg wool gloves. It's kind of a shame after spending litterally a couple hundred dollars searching for a good glove (Arctic Armore, Ice Armor, Frabill FXE Snowsuit) to make a full circle and end up with $8 gloves from Menard's. The others were warm but dexterity was awful. Also getting damp hands in them was a joke.

I always carry a super absorbent towel with, and before putting my Raggs on I make sure my hands are as dry as possible. The otherthing is with the Raggs even when wet they are warm.

WS

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:15 AM »
I found the best for me is mitts with a hand warmer in them. I also wear wool gloves with the fingers cut off.  I need bare fingers to remove hooks and bait hooks too.

I'll Second that....Mitts w/ Hand-warmers. Flag does up, Mitts come off.

I haven't found a pair of gloves that can keep my fingers warm
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Just remember you put your hands in a pair of gloves cold, I don't care how good of gloves you got. They will stay cold with out some sort of heat in them.
Gator Nation

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Your best bet is to get an EXTRA Large pair of Mitts, and pick up a pair of fleece windproof half finger gloves.
Put the half fingers on and then slip them into your mitts for double warmth.
When you get a fish, pull off the mitts and you still have the protection from the elements on the majority of your hands from the half fingers, and can still pull in your line.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:13 AM »
My two cents on this - from a guy with poor circulation and always had VERY cold hands and feet. Neoprene will not work. What you need is air pockets next to the skin. I do indeed go steelheading in winter and have great quality 5mm neoprenes. Your toes will still freeze. The best combo for that are 5mm neoprene for your legs, connected to oversize insulated boot foots for your feet. The problem is that neoprene sits too close/tightly to your feet.

In regards to gloves. Wool is by far the best. I've tried everything, money no object. Rag wool gloves as stated by someone above. The trick is to then put your glove into an overmit of some type. I use two, both made of goretex - some North Face goretex gloves, and a MEC brand of goretex mitts. The North Face gloves weren't cheap but i had them laying around but any over mitt or large glove would work just as well I think, as long as they blocked the wind. Bigger and thicker outer gloves means more warmth as well of course.

This combo is great as the goretex gives your water and wind protection and you can remove the outer gloves for more dexterity of for when its not too cold.

I have found that rag wool gloves are harder to find these days - its thinsulate everything. Believe me, rag wool works way better than thinsulate. Anyway, this is what works for me.

Moonman.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:26 AM »
The way I lose gloves I always buy the cheap ones. I have a stack of left hand gloves at home I don't know why I keep them the right hand gloves are no where to be found. I wish you could buy just 1 glove for 1/2 price.

Tinker

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:27 AM »
I like a warm shack and generally only fish outside on sunny windless warmer days.  I will fish outside up to an hour or two depending on how cold it is till I find some fish.  I just picked up a pair of neoprene a couple weeks ago, probably only 3 mm but not sure.  I love em!!  Stick my hand in the water, no problem, take a fish off the hook and get all slimy, no problem.  They are a soft spongy rubber on the outside and I worry about durability as well, that is why I also have a good pair of gloves with, I won't even pick up the auger to move it with the neoprene on.  Neoprenes only touch rods, fish and dipper, every thing else is done with regular gloves.  For extended periods of time the mittens are the way to go, I also have poor circulation and if you want to be out in the cold you gotta where mitts.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:27 AM »
I probably shouldn't join in this conversation here, but I use ice climbing gloves. They aren't cheap, but last a long time and are as warm as can be.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/guide-glove
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Ragg wool mitts and handwarmers.  Just whip em off on your way to the hole, put em back on when you are done.
And you can buy a new jig pole with the money you save on gloves that don't work.  :tipup:
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:21 AM »
I probably shouldn't join in this conversation here, but I use ice climbing gloves. They aren't cheap, but last a long time and are as warm as can be.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/guide-glove

WOW!! At that price they must even keep your feet warm :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 AM »
where do you get your wool gloves at?
Let's fish it.

Offline Iggyloo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always ready to go!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 PM »
I'm not cheap but for ice fishing gloves I go to the dollar store and buy a 20 pairs of woolly gloves at a time. They aren't built the best but you can abuse them and not really care, keep them on grab fish with, shove your hand down the hole with them on if needed and when your done with them you can wash them or just toss them out. I will normally go through 2 or 3 pairs in an outing. I have my lined sheep skins gloves where I can put hand warmers in for really cold days but running and gunning the cheap woolly gloves work very well. 

Offline rustyo1949

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:12 PM »
I bought a pair of  wool, heavy knit flipover withmagnet on the backfingers open inside by Kinco, called"Aleska", those and a absorbent towel is all I need! warm...!

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I only wear ragg wool gloves. It's kind of a shame after spending litterally a couple hundred dollars searching for a good glove (Arctic Armore, Ice Armor, Frabill FXE Snowsuit) to make a full circle and end up with $8 gloves from Menard's. The others were warm but dexterity was awful. Also getting damp hands in them was a joke.

I always carry a super absorbent towel with, and before putting my Raggs on I make sure my hands are as dry as possible. The otherthing is with the Raggs even when wet they are warm.

WS

You are not alone, my go to pair of gloves for all cold water fishing (fly, open water, ice fishing, etc.) are a $10 pair of fingerless wool gloves from Cabelas that my wife got for me. When I'm ice fishing the last thing I want to do is keep taking my gloves on and off to bait hooks set traps or whatever. And the towel is key and I'm always surprised when people ask me what the hell its for. I use a microfiber towel from MSR that also gets double duty for camping/hiking.

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:32 PM »
i recently bought a pair of fingerless gloves with mitten section that folds over,
best pair of gloves i have purchased
no more taking gloves off to handle things,

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Nobody has mentioned anything like these yet, so I'll chime in...
I used to have some thick rubber gloves like these that were uninsulated, I used for picking up waterfowl decoys in the cold.  I then discovered they make insulated ones.  They work awesome for picking up duck decoys. 
I tried them ice fishing this year, and they work great for that too!  Get them a size larger than you need, so you can take one glove off easily when you need your hand to take the hook out.  Then slip the glove back on.  I liked them because they're completely waterproof, so you can reach your hand in the water to grab the fish if you need to, or just grabbing fish after fish after fish, your hands stay dry.  Added benefit, when you catch a pike you're not worrying about getting cut by its teeth since they're thick, and you can just go for the grab.
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Glove-SB460L-Resistant-Insulated/dp/B000GTZQ9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358974607&sr=8-1&keywords=snowblower+gloves

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.