Author Topic: One man shanty  (Read 2867 times)

Offline mut_56

• IceShanty Rookie
One man shanty
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:30 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a one man shanty....Any suggestions

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: One man shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Clam , Scout TC

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Shappell FX100.

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Frabil Comando...love mine but in all honesty... find someplace to go sit in one make sure it suits you they all have there pros and cons.
Hardwater Maniacs Pro staff
CrappieZilla Ice Pro staff
Team Extrem Wisconsin Series Competitor

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Frabil commando. Clam Scout tc or scout pro

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline Perchmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:14 AM »
shappell rover heavy fabric its durable
When The bite is on you'll see me with a jiggin pole in one hand and a Marb Red in the other.

Offline DrowningTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Shappell Rover 1.5sp if you can find them anywhere. I picked one up about two months ago and I love the thing. They were on close out a month ago and could be found at cabelas for$200. And with a $25-45 dollar coupon  for purchases over $200 on top of that, it was a steal!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Rover 1
Fish on!

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:43 AM »
If I were to buy a new 1-man shanty right now, it would be between two. Either the Jason Mitchell Pro Thermal made by Clam...or the Otter Pro  Xtreme Thermal Cottage. But honestly, there are alot of good ones out there. Just check them all out and decide what one works best for you. One thing to definitely take into consideration is weight. If you are looking for a one-man shelter, then you are planning on fishing solo...and that means noone to help you drag your gear across the ice. 20 pounds can make a big difference. So definitely look at the weights of the different shelters.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Love my clam pro fish trap. Bought it 6 yrs ago and it's still in perfect condition. It was around 300. Has a nice swivel and slight seat. I use the shapell 4000 for my 2 man set up for 2 yrs. it was about 400. Hard to find a shanty that's made in America anymore!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Clam Fish trap Pro. I am looking for one when I go out by myself. I have an Otter Pro Lodge Thermal two man and it is not fun to pull out alone. The otter is made right here in Minnesota. Otter makes a One man fish house but they are like $500.00
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline mut_56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Has anyone seen that newer clam?  I can't think of what they call it, but it spreads out wider to give you more surface area to fish in.
Just wondering if anyone has seen one yet?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Clam Pro TC and no complaints, except when I meet someone out on the ice. Then I feel a need to flip it up so as not to be unsociable!  ;D

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Clam Pro TC and no complaints, except when I meet someone out on the ice. Then I feel a need to flip it up so as not to be unsociable!  ;D

I believe you are referring the the Clam "Bigfoot".

I have a Clam 5x5 HUB (Tamarack).  Got @ end of last season on clearance.  I couldn't be happier with the $80 I spent.
I thought for $80, this thing will be a POS.  Wrong.  Not sure if just not a popular model, but I have never seen it anywhere else for sale since that 1 time last Feb.

Heres' my wishlist if I could have my choice________________ ___
1.  Otter 1 man pre theremal Extreme.  But I hear these things are heavy.  And when you add all your gear...  So this would be my 1st buy if I had an ATV or Sled to pull I out with.
2.  HUB:  Clam command post, summit, base camp.  Eskimo: fatfish 949i <-- although I read negative issues with the rods and zippers onlast years models. or quickfish3i.     All these HUB all thermal.

It all depends on how much you want to sepnd.  How much room you want.  The more room the better.  Do you have to pull your gear out by hand or vehicle.
Have fun my friend.....

PS:  The Clam bigfoot and Eskimo Fatfish series both have the wider bases

Offline stuck on the ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 AM »
I had the frabill comando for 2 years and it's light enough with enough room for a lot of gear in the sled. After buying the 2 man this year i notice that the comando heats up really nicely.

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Shappell Rover 1.0
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline THE GILL PILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Clam scout Tc light weight,comfortable seat,and plenty of room up front for flasher,lantern,etc.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:15 PM »
I have the Clam Kenai and really like it. Stays warm in cold weather.

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:35 PM »
I just got the clam big mouth and think its gonna be really nice.its a gander exclusive so if you dont live near a gander this isnt much help to you. Its called the big mouth because of the floor space. It go's from 10sq ft to 13 sq ft by unzipping some zippers and extending a pole on the bottom. It also has the wind break feature. Nice sized tub and only 38lbs. Only possible downfall is the heigth its kinda short but doesnt bother me. Cost me $300 with a sale.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:47 PM »
1 man show??, I would go with a flipover, anything you don't use is in the sled already,,, I had the shappell 3000dx, for awhile, and whenever you have 2 fisherman, that is a nice hut,  but I purchased a shappell 1.5 dx a couple years ago, (now that all my buddies  have huts), and I love it... plenty of room (i fish 4 holes outta mine), not too heavy, the extra room is nice...all the other types of shelters.. you have to set everything up, and put everything back, whenever your done.... (I always said ,"its like setting up an apartment".), just my .02,   

Offline Bagman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I wanted a one man i could stand up in and has zero setup time so i got the Shappel Fx150 , I use it jigging walleye and have plenty of room to fish two holes next to each other and still have room for heater and flasher.  The tub is huge so hold a ton but takes up a lot of room in the short box of my truck.

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Clam and then a little bit of personal modifying it's perfect

Offline Pines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Shappell Rover 1.0 I think the new FX100 might have taken its place. Really like mine, lightweight and easy to use.

Offline mut_56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  Good advice, i like all the advice here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.