Author Topic: Disgusting!  (Read 9048 times)

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
Disgusting!
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Sorry this has nothing to do with ice fishing, but i felt that you guys might want to hear about this....
There is a guy Riley Flett that hunted in Duck Mountain under his Metis " Sustenance Hunting." Him and his friends filled two trucks with 12 female elk, that were most likely pregnant!
Idk about you but this made me sick to my stomach, and he claims he was doing his part for the Idle no more. Now i dont know much about this idle no more but im sure it does not encourage people to slaughter 12 elk!  >:(
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4817001876656&set=a.1185090641145.28489.1644642565&type=1&theater
I hope this link works.
Please get this information out there! As a young hunter i want to be able to hunt until I'm old and grey, but if this continues that wont happen  :'(
Team Slay

Offline useddirt4sale

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Disgusting!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Not good. 
With the closure of moose hunting to all in the Duck and Porcupine Mountains, elk are under tremendous pressure.  Soon, elk hunting will be closed to all.  These posts offer a dim future. 
I forwarded it to facebook pages of Winnipeg Free Press, Dauphin Herald, and Swan River Star and Times. 

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:38 PM »
I saw the video on youtube as well.....disturbing. >:(

Offline cuppedwings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:59 PM »
From the picture, it appears to have been a veritable bloodbath and as well perhaps a wasteful hunt. Just curious how you know that this guy is Metis rather than Treaty. As if he is a Metis person he can only shoot one Elk and needs to tag it with a tag supplied by the MMF at which time he may or may not qualify for a second tag when he attends an MMF office with his first filled tag. If he is Metis, his Harvester status (owned by the MMF) is at risk of being revoked if he has not followed the MMF rules of the hunt and I'm sure the MMF Natural Resources department would like to hear the full details of this incident for review.

Treaty FN Aboriginal people are unlimited in their harvest and traditionally both peoples will capitalize on any opportunities to fill both their freezers and those of their families.

As to the cows perhaps being pregnant. Draw season in the Interlake just finished (probably out there too?) before Christmas and the bag limit was one Elk of any sex, I would imagine a number of cows carrying young were also killed by non aboriginal hunters this month.

BTW - I have Metis Harvester status myself, but still buy all licenses and apply for draws and have yet to place an MMF issued big game tag on an animal. IF this hunter were Metis, I would certainly like this incident to be reviewed by the MMF!

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Link to Video:

It is important not to hate on all aboriginal people, for these are the actions of a few, not all.  I have heard of this kind of activity across all walks of life.  Whether it be Elk, this is the second occurrence that I have heard of, game birds, lots of stories there, and of course fishing, and not just out at Lockport but on the Lake, on the ice.  All accounts second hand of course because I would associate myself with people who poach.

Thanks PdotIF for bringing this to the forum, may not be about fishing but it does concern us all and may also get people thinking about over fishing.

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Sorry i meant to put metis or treaty as they say in the description of the picture. I agree with the rules and regulations for metis and treaty hunters and fisherman, to me it makes sense. But its people like this that give all metis and treaty hunters a bad name. Being an avid hunter and fisherman i get to see the bad, but also the good. Its the people that just see pictures like this and think that all hunters do it.
Team Slay

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Step back and breath boys and girls!  Posting comments that are filled with incorrect information is no better than posting what is "believed" to be illegal and/or unethical.

The persons doing the harvesting may be Métis or Treaty, both of whom have the right to hunt for subsistence.  If those elk, and they weren't only cows, were harvested legally there is only a difference in animal harvesting ethics as an issue.

As Craig said, that some of the elk may have been pregnant cows is irrelevant as licensed hunters have been taking pregnant cows since early October.  Doesn't matter if they were killed in October, December or March.

Another very important point to clear up is that the MMF DOES NOT CONTROL WHO IS METIS AND WHO ISN'T!  THE CANADIAN CONSTITUTION DECIDES WHO IS METIS AND WHO ISN'T!  The MMF is 'ONE' venue for establishing Métis genealogy.  There is at least another means and that is through Constitutional Law Branch of the Manitoba Department of Justice.

THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR A METIS HARVESTER TO POSSESS A "HARVESTER CARD"!  The MMF issues Harvester Cards to those members who are willing to pay the fee. 

THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR METIS HARVESTERS TO TAG THEIR ANIMALS. The MMF issues tags for various species if the "harvester" wants to tag his/her animals. 

THERE IS NO LAW IN PLACE TO FORCE METIS HARVESTERS TO TAG THEIR ANIMALS OR LIMIT THE NUMBER OF ANIMALS THAT THEY TAKE.

METIS STATUS IS PROTECTED BY THE CANADIAN CONSTITUTION SO THE MMF CAN NOT REMOVE A PERSON'S STATUS AS A METIS.  The MMF may be able to revoke one's MMF membership but that is all.

METIS DON'T NEED ANYTHING FROM THE MMF TO HARVEST FISH OR WILDLIFE FOR SUBSISTENCE INSIDE THE RECOGNIZED HARVEST ZONE.

METIS PEOPLE ARE BOUND BY THE SAME LAWS AS TREATY AND LICENSED HUNTERS WITH RESPECT TO PRIVATE LAND WITH PERMISSION AND SAFE FIREARM USE WHILE HUNTING.

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Gatorhunter, you are correct, and my comments are not to say that what these guys were doing in the video was unlawful as this is their right as Metis.  If it came across this way then I apologize.  I think that the Facebook comments and posting the video to YouTube are in poor taste.  Yes this is sustenance hunting but personally I do not think it proper for those involved to be, what I perceive as "showing off". 

This is their right as people of this land but is hard for some to take a step back and think, yes they are feeding families for the whole winter on land that is barren or has only convince store pricing on all food.  Many people automatically bend toward the negative when they see these pictures and videos.  For me I thought of a time when an acquaintance of mine, who is treaty, was with two others and they were fishing.  The two men that were unknown to me, both caught a walleye each and proceeded to scoop out the cheeks of the fish.  They threw the fish sans cheeks back in the water.  When asked why, they both said because it's the best part of the fish.  The guy I know was appalled.  Yes this is their right to do this but it is not ethical.  Yes the Elk hunt of 12 is different than 2 walleye but those two walleye could have been a meal for an elder who cannot fish themselves.

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:05 PM »
I agree with both of you. I understand that it is perfectly legal for them to harvest that many elk, but as johnny walleye said i feel posting videos and pictures is unethical.
Team Slay

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Harvest all the fur, fish and game under "traditional" methods and all will be fine.  Leave the qauds and 4X4's at home and get a  "Buffalo Runner" ;D

FF 
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Whomever comes up with a solution to this topic will be in the running for a Nobel Peace Prize without any doubt.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Everyone should read the youtube comments.....pretty hard to argue with most of them.
Seems like social media is a good indication of how people feel and think (just saying).
I would love to voice my 2 cents here but I was taught that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything, and in this case, I am speechless!!!!
Funny, sometimes saying nothing is actually saying the most.

Offline Bruce13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Metis are required to carry proof of harvester status while exercising their rights. Failure to carry proof (harvester card) can results in all things being seized

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Oh don't worry. I'm sure in their infinite wisdom the MB GOV. will just increase the cost of Elk draw licenses thinking that will stop slaughters like this.
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Would love to comment but like this forum and don't feel like being banned from it!!

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:56 PM »
CJOB reporting that Conservation is investigating a video of an elk slaughter near Birch River
http://www.cjob.com/news/winnipeg/story.aspx?ID=1853202

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:19 PM »
CJOB reporting that Conservation is investigating a video of an elk slaughter near Birch River
http://www.cjob.com/news/winnipeg/story.aspx?ID=1853202

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what gator hunter said, as far as conservation goes they did nothing wrong ???. Isn't he a conservation officer? I might be wrong but I'm sure that I read in an old post that he is a CO but please excuse me if I am wrong.

I'm dying to put in my 2 cents in on this topic (especially after being held up by the "idle no more" on Portage today) because it makes me sick, but really it probably isn't the time or place. All I can say is that if people disagree with what the natives do (or anyone else for that matter), expressing it on a forum won't accomplish much. You need to address your concerns to levels government, natural resources, media, etc, etc, etc. And remember, the squeaky wheel get's the grease so keep hounding over and over!

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Other reports are Conservation is investigating whether they were hunted on private land without permission, baited, sold etc...

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:02 AM »
More than likely those elk were killed by a pissed off white farmer, then he called his native buddies to come get them.  You should see the bears that farmers kill on the oat fields every fall, I counted 12 in one field, and those are the ones that didn't make the bush! 
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline r.mazur

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Last time I checked farmers had there crops off the fields. Animals do some damage to crops but not as much as mother nature,most good farmers have crop insurance that covers there losses,this is just a group of people abusing there rights!!!!!
KCCO

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Bales are still out, elk can be hard on those, ever hear of winter wheat! Big draw to elk and deer,  whoever or however they died is nothing compared to all the elk the province trapped out of that park years ago, I lived this first hand, great hunting year after year then nothing, the last time I hunted elk in the duck sI was there for 2 solid weeks and didn't hear one elk, and the trails were grown in, no tracks, it sucked! 

Offline r.mazur

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Lazy farmer if bails are still on the field !!! The area I hunt ( Riding Moutain ) I have not seen anyone crop winter wheat in years. I saw a small herd of 8 this year during deer season and they were more content in picking at the stuble than picking at the bails 100 yards away. Any white farmer would not waste an animal like that, would shoot what he needs to feed himself and his family, and its not 12 ELK.
KCCO

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Lazy farmer if bails are still on the field !!! The area I hunt ( Riding Moutain ) I have not seen anyone crop winter wheat in years. I saw a small herd of 8 this year during deer season and they were more content in picking at the stuble than picking at the bails 100 yards away. Any white farmer would not waste an animal like that, would shoot what he needs to feed himself and his family, and its not 12 ELK.
I've seen many white farmers killing bears just because they are eating their crops?  It makes me sick but is very true, you can't make a comment like "any white farmer would not waste an animal like that" sound very racist!  Almost like you are saying a non white farmer would.

Offline r.mazur

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Your the one that started on races by saying " pissed of white farmer " and the topic isn't about bears, my brother in laws are cattle farmers and have had to put down a bear to protect there cattle, but there are proper steps and permits to get.
KCCO

Offline r.mazur

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I've never seen a field full of dead bears or any animal for that fact , but be a little smarter and not post it on you tube for the whole world to see and start stupid arguments like this. I'm done with this . :P
KCCO

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I've never seen a field full of dead bears or any animal for that fact , but be a little smarter and not post it on you tube for the whole world to see and start stupid arguments like this. I'm done with this . :P

:'(

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:43 PM »
How's the fishing been guys?
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:49 PM »
:'(

My crying emoticon is referring the old commercial with the Native American crying when people are tossing garbage from their cars at his feet.  Keep America Beautiful.

BTW - this was filmed at Lockport

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Yes - I'm an NRO. 

No - Métis people do not need a Harvester Card to hunt or fish.  They do need proof of Métis status but not Harvester Cards. 

Yes - farmers and ranchers shoot bears to protect their crops and other property. 

No - they don't always report these kills to the Dept. of Conservation. 

Yes - elk raise he** on farmers crops including winter wheat and alfalfa bales. 

No - not all farmers and ranchers remove their bales from fields.  Many leave them out until they need them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.