Author Topic: Encountered a new problem  (Read 2249 times)

Offline hntfsh09

• IceShanty Rookie
Encountered a new problem
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Hi guys,

This year I have been scouting a small local river for walleye.  I have never ice fished it but I have been on the ice on it and I know it very well in open water.  This means that I have knowledge of the calm areas that freeze the best, and I have watched the river freeze a few times and scouted early ice to know where to watch out for.  With this info, I have began to scout (make swiss cheese out of) some of these holes.  I am finding up to 6" of good ice, and am making more.  With this info I have developed a few areas I can fish safely.

Unfortunately in my favorite hole I encountered something I had not expected.  It looks like before this stretch froze, there was an ice jam at that location, and the remnants are sticking out of the new sheet.  Immediately adjacent to this mess I have a solid 6" of ice.  I took a spud bar to some areas I can reach without getting too bold, and it seemed like the remnants of the old ice (the result of an early freeze that later broke up) was frozen into a fairly solid sheet.  Still, I have never seen this ice before.  While I assume it is weaker than a single sheet, and I accept the inherent risks of fishing on rivers in any case, I am still interested in scouting this ice. 

Have any of you seen this type of ice before? How much more unsafe is it?  What additional info do I need to look for in assessing these kinds of areas for safety?

Thanks.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Encountered a new problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:55 AM »
If I was bound and determined to explore questionable ice on a river I wouldn't take any unnecessary chances. I would have a buddy come with. I would have on a flotation device. I would have ice picks. I would have a long rope tethered to said buddy. Then I would take the spud and start checking. I would expect to get wet.

I am guessing the ice is weaker from what you are saying but it's pretty hard to give you any advice on a forum especially when you are playing with fire. I know on lakes, ice as you describe isn't nearly as stable as good solid black ice, but throw in a river and all bets are off. Be prepared and careful! Let us know what you find.

WS

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Encountered a new problem
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:04 PM »
90% of my ice fishing is on a couple local rivers, one is relatively calm, and the other has a pretty quick current.. both are fairly narrow, 50-60' across max. As most others I live by the buddy system on early/late season or questionable ice..   I also where the float suit, carry picks, tether off to my buddy, all the common safety practices.

But I like to leave my buddy high and dry on the bank, while I spud my way out and check conditions.  Theres no sense taking a buddy if he's going right in beside you.

I'm a lot more comfortable with the situation when I know not only theres a capable person with me, but he's in a position to SAFELY be of assistance if it comes down to it.

Good luck, be safe, and let us know how you make out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.