New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ????vote for your fave ny lake for targeting walleye through the ice??  (Read 5432 times)

Offline tgrm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Conesus hands down !!!
tgrm

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
Not saying its not possable but i have fished Seneca lake for 45 years never heard of anybody catching a walleye...   never caught a sturgeon either but at least I have heard of them.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
thats what I'm saying....I think they must be talking about the Seneca River.

Offline ejg

• IceShanty Rookie
Oneida

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks for the input fellas cant wait oneida sounds like hog heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Oneida is just a great all around lake. Can't go wrong there.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
I worked at the Oneida Hatchery last spring,The largest Walleye we did that day was about 7lbs,I'm sure there are much bigger ones. The High numbers and quality of the walleyes I did see was amazing.Giving the care they take and the return of fry they produce, It will be a great fishery for yrs to come.If you want hogs go to the bay of Quinte Not to far from NY Its hard to catch one under 8lbs.I find that the 18-22" size make for some good table fair.Oneida is loaded with them

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
As far as numbers Oneida. If you want a pig my guess is erie... but haven't had a chance to fish there. Maybe this year.

Offline HandsumJed

• IceShanty Rookie
For sure....Oneida.

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
caught quite a bit at the foot of ferry all summer and fall dont think i will ice fish erie ever scary

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

i seen in the last few years size is getting bigger in Oneida i believe do to guys tossing fish over 20" back and keeping the smaller ones , since they lowered the size limit from 18" to 15 "it has taken a lot of pressure off the larger ones i try and keep the ones to eat 16"-18" and many of my fishing buds do the same

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
Bays of the st Lawrence   But as for lake.  Size and numbers go to Champlain.  Followed by the not so dead sea

Are you referring the the Inland Sea on Champlain as the Dead Sea, or is that your 3rd body of water in ny that you prefer?

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
Are you referring the the Inland Sea on Champlain as the Dead Sea, or is that your 3rd body of water in ny that you prefer?
dead sea =sac. res.

Offline walleyemagic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • () Eyes There out there somewhere()Team NY
onieda and lake ontario and cant forget the great whitney point res. ;D

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
dead sea =sac. res.

I gotch ya, thanks. Champlain does have some nice Walleye and Vermonters offer refer to the "Island Sea" as the "Dead Sea"  but it often produces large eyes.

My favorite place in NY to fish for eyes would have to be the bays of the Eastern Basin, Chaumont,Black River and Mud when they freeze good.

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Onieda

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
Oneida for winter, St Lawrence river for summer

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
For being a smaller lake honeoye has a crap load of walleye in it (mostly because of the DEC stocking efforts although my teacher at FLCC and head of the original program to sample for walleyes John Foust says they have found signs of some spawning in the lake) and people who know what they are doing catch quite a few and some big ones at that. Guy caught a 10lber in a tourney I was at a few years ago

I'm up at FLCC also man. John Foust sure knows what he is talking about.
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline stripermancl

• Team IceShanty Regular
theres some nice eyes in the tomahanok caught hundreds there some years preety good threw the ice to .got to no where to fish and when.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
I'm up at FLCC also man. John Foust sure knows what he is talking about.
Well that's cool. If u don't mind me asking what's your name bro, maybe il see u this coming semester. And yea, John foust is one smart dude also the best teacher in the conservation department
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saratogax3.

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
oneida was a bust tried to get some help before we went to no avail didnt bring wheeler so icant say itwas the lake try again with wheeler this yr if its like last yr saratoga will be the next stop

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
For a trophy walleye nothing beats the bays of lake Ontario for large eyes. I don't keep them but man you can get some slobs.

Oneida for keeper eyes for the table hands down.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
like eatting  fish  ....oneida ...bang slob perch  right along with the  eyes 

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Honeoye is packed with them. Finding them, getting them to bite, and staying on them is another thing altogether. It's a dishpan lake with next to no structure. When I've targeted walley exclusively on Honeoye I've been disappointed. Now I go to Honeoye for perch but I go extra early and get a tip-down spread, jigging holes, and extra holes drilled before sun-up. I get an occassional walleye just before daybreak. I've never iced 2 walleye in any one day of ice fishing there. I've no doubt there's guys who target them and do well there. I'm just not one of them.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Oneida

X100 - There is nothing else like it on earth.  ;D :icefish:

Offline TigerMiceski365

• IceShanty Rookie
Back on the great sac is mine

I heard you love the sac

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Oneida

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
oneida was a bust tried to get some help before we went to no avail didnt bring wheeler so icant say itwas the lake try again with wheeler this yr if its like last yr saratoga will be the next stop

what do you mean you couldnt get help?
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
ONEIDA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.