New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver Lake  (Read 72793 times)

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Silver Lake
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Are some here of the belief that reports on ice thickness and conditions are "hand feeding" people?  I also read "reports" where people say things like "get out there and check for yourself" regarding conditions.  This to me is simply "locals" that don't want anyone from more than 20 minutes away fishing "their" lake.  These types of comments are really getting under my skin (if they really represent the attitudes I have mentioned).  The R & C board is intended to help out fellow fisherman and increase safety - something we should all be concerned with.  And yes, constantly asking what the conditions are is annoying too.  Just remember those of us who come from farther away often add some $$ to the local economy.  More than that we are a part of what I see as a "fishing fraternity" where one of the qualifications for membership should be good sportsmanship.

I hope to be out on the Silver Lady Saturday or Sunday.  I look forward to visiting and harvesting sensibly and selectively.

Tight Lines and Hard Water
Finally a worhty report for the BS thread,hopfully people will understand the hows the ice coments belong on here and not R & C board.

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #31 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 PM »
i agree with dynamite...... We are talkin about fish here folks and everybody knows what goes on at silver. IF people wanna %$#&^ about things tell em to call their old lady... Do somethin about the people that take 400 gills a day and pull out all the 8 1/2 inch craps if u wanna be productive with your time...We will be out saturday mornin with bells on doin em like we always do... 10s n better!! CALIKING OUT!!!

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Now why are you hoping to get skunked and hook yourself ?  ;)
shhhh listen i think someone is following me ??? ???

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:16 PM »
there is about 1.5" of ice on south end off macks walked out a couple of steps to check should make good ice all week. will check on thurs. and report on r/c sight. good luck stay safe.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Was it good black ice

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Thanks Skinner.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline wally13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2013, 03:18 AM »
good post i think silver got pounded  last season and alot of pressure from everyone fishing there

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:06 AM »

good post i think silver got pounded  last season and alot of pressure from everyone fishing there
Im not going there with this post but im sure someone will. Good thing its posted here  :roflmao:

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:34 AM »
wow, dude! that's like the tenth time i've seen that comment from you. along with the usual "how's the ice?" b.s. on the R & C boards. Read the posts and they answered your questions!.. Silvers been pounded for years and she's been doing better than ever. There's a reason we got 50 limits on panfish.

When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline aleroman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Silver lake is looking real good south end looks to be pretty wrapped up.
Crappieman69

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:05 PM »
middle of lake is open and there was some waves. 15 out right now hope it locks up tonight . there is about an 1" of snow on the ice. it is good hard ice clear when i checked last.

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:25 PM »
10 day forcast shows some days in upper 30s and mid 40s hopefully the lake will be locked up enough to withstand it
ice fishing for life

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:47 PM »
I always wondered if the "pounding" the pan fish take here are the reason there are so many quality fish? As long as i can remember silver has always had a healthy population of gills, in fact i can't think of a lake that is better

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Could be the reason.  The northern pike likely pound the bluegills harder than the fisherman do on Silver.  Silver has a good production of gills in the south basin, perfect place for them to breed.  Chautauqua is similar, but doesn't have a pike population, just muskie.  I think a healthy pike population is the reason that Silver produces better gills.   Pike are routinely in the shallows hunting gills.   Gills in Chautauqua are stunted, just too many of them. 

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Very good point. Definitely makes sense but i really want to fish mid-lake this yr and i think it will happen.We will never out fish this body of water theres just to much of it.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Very good point. Definitely makes sense but i really want to fish mid-lake this yr and i think it will happen.We will never out fish this body of water theres just to much of it.

A friend noticed a posted sign on the pumphouse at the Country Club the other day. Seems that the new owners don't want people accessing the ice there.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:34 PM »
A friend noticed a posted sign on the pumphouse at the Country Club the other day. Seems that the new owners don't want people accessing the ice there.

Snobs !

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Not necessarily. Who knows if somebody left a mess down there or caused some damage?
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Not necessarily. Who knows if somebody left a mess down there or caused some damage?

I see the woods on the east side had for sale signs on it this summer . Do you know if it got sold ?

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:58 AM »
I see the woods on the east side had for sale signs on it this summer . Do you know if it got sold ?

It's been for sale for a couple years, maybe longer.

Could be the reason.  The northern pike likely pound the bluegills harder than the fisherman do on Silver.  Silver has a good production of gills in the south basin, perfect place for them to breed. 

Silver Lake's gills form colonies around the entire perimeter during the spawn.  The sides often have some of the largest colonies.  During the winter months those fish "seem" to move to the ends of the lake, however.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:52 PM »
anyone hear anything on the condition of silver lake

Offline Chaki17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Seen two guys out on the north end about hundred yards out on buckets. Another guy walked out and was checking the thickness on standpipe. So real close.

Offline warsawbassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:57 PM »
 In the summer the jet skiers drive me nuts....as does George, but at least the jet skiers go away after awhile.

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:58 PM »
OK thanks i appreciate the info

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Cool, let's try getting 3 or 4 Silver Lake threads going again this year    ::)
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline aleroman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:14 PM »
 I check the cams daily it is alll locked up,  I need to see people. On the south end too lol
Crappieman69

Offline aleroman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:19 PM »
Does anyone know if they charge to park at the state park, for ice fishing.
Crappieman69

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Free of charge in winter.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline aleroman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Ok thanks very much
Crappieman69

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:45 PM »
You can't access the lake from there with a snowmobile or ATV however. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.