The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: My $.58 Mr. Buddy Modification  (Read 7673 times)

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
My $.58 Mr. Buddy Modification
« on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:18 PM »
My buddy is doing a little concrete work so I took a trip with him to Menards today.

As we were looking at mesh I notice this 3 Rod metal basket for $.58  I had seen some posts about Mr. Buddy modifications to cook with so a light went off in my head,  ??? this could work to cook with.

After posting on the main page asking what everyone cooks on the ice, burger and brats seem to be the most common. So I was looking for an easy way to make brats

So all I did was take the rod basket and paint it with some 1200 degree header paint I had from my 66' Mustang restoration and then baked it in the wifes oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees well she was out shopping. She also dosent know I did that with my shorty headers this summer  ;)

Anyways. I used a couple of metal ties from a fence job I did couple summers ago and some header tape I had laying around for the handle. This allows if the metal rod gets hot enough it dosent burn the handle

I then ran to dollar general and got 3 disposable meat loaf pans with plastic tops.

The idea is at lunch time attach this device to the Mr Buddy, grab the brats already sealed in your disposable container, remove top, pour in your favorite beer and 30 minutes you should have some nice beer brats for lunch  :)

You could also warm up easy leftovers with this same setup.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
Re: My $.58 Mr. Buddy Modification
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Nice that should work!

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2012, 02:07 PM »
I actually just did a test run on it and it worked flawless.

I just put water in it with no lid and it boiled water in 25 min!

After the test run I thought a piece of tin foil which is small enough to bring in your gear to cover it will work.

Im going on a trip to the Alpena area in February. Im thinking of doing lasagna pre cooked and then warmed up on the buddy heater.

Should be a nice side dish as the other 3 guys are bringing food also

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2012, 02:13 PM »
What a brilliant idea...thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:19 PM »
I actually just did a test run on it and it worked flawless.

I just put water in it with no lid and it boiled water in 25 min!

After the test run I thought a piece of tin foil which is small enough to bring in your gear to cover it will work.

Im going on a trip to the Alpena area in February. Im thinking of doing lasagna pre cooked and then warmed up on the buddy heater.

Should be a nice side dish as the other 3 guys are bringing food also
On hi or lo setting?

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:23 PM »
On hi or lo setting?

25 minutes on high. I think it would have boiled in about 15 had I had a lid or tin foil on the pan

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:29 PM »
But how tipsy is it ?.......I'm sure it deepens on how much weight is in the dish. You found a problem and found a solution with a simple design that costs little......that's hard to do. Great job  @)

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:34 PM »
 real nice job. i will work on mine.

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:55 PM »
But how tipsy is it ?.......I'm sure it deepens on how much weight is in the dish. You found a problem and found a solution with a simple design that costs little......that's hard to do. Great job  @)

Its very sturdy those tin disposable pans have a little flex so its nice and snug. I put almost 3/4 water in it on the test run then realized it was sitting on the carpet so I actually picked it up and moved it about 10 feet to a table and didnt budge a bit.

Offline GillMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kills the Gills
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I like it. Might have to see what I can whip up now.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2012, 07:06 PM »
I hope you fish next to me this winter.  I'm not picky so I wouldnt mind at all what you put on there.

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Just so you guys know I had to run back to Menards tonight and I went back to the mesh section cause I thought I had seen 2 sizes. Sure enough the one I grabbed earlier was a 11" they also have a 8.5" one that fits a meat loaf disposable size tin perfect.  Cost $.41

So now I can bring the bigger deeper one when I'm feeding my buddies or the smaller meatloaf size for myself and/or another.

Both of these are rock solid for under $1.00. I swear the dimesions were made for this you cant make one better cheaper I SWEAR!  I can kick the heater and its not going anywhere. Cant wait to use it on the ice

Offline PondPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Is the paint necessary? My budget is only 60 cents!
Sitting still and drinking beer. I like ice fishing.

Offline PondPirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Is the paint necessary? My budget is only 60 cents!
Sitting still and drinking beer. I like ice fishing.

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:00 PM »
I love the creativity on this site. DaVinci ain't got nothing on some of you guys. Great idea, gonna set mine up this week.
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:35 PM »
you could make up some lasagnas or meatloaf in the pans and freeze them.  Pull them out the night before you go and let them thaw in the fridge.  Then just let them warm up over the stove while you are fishing.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2012, 03:35 AM »
I'm gonna have to put this on my list of things to make looks simple and easy to do,
now for a trip back to Menards, yesterday a ton of wood pellets came home in the truck along with two stops at Franks
K

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:26 AM »
What section of the store did you find the basket in, I am not understanding mesh section, thanks.  Great idea by the way!!!
Just so you guys know I had to run back to Menards tonight and I went back to the mesh section cause I thought I had seen 2 sizes. Sure enough the one I grabbed earlier was a 11" they also have a 8.5" one that fits a meat loaf disposable size tin perfect.  Cost $.41

So now I can bring the bigger deeper one when I'm feeding my buddies or the smaller meatloaf size for myself and/or another.

(Image removed from quote.)

Both of these are rock solid for under $1.00. I swear the dimesions were made for this you cant make one better cheaper I SWEAR!  I can kick the heater and its not going anywhere. Cant wait to use it on the ice
Fish on !

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:03 AM »
I was over in the concrete area and these were with the concrete tools, rerod, and steel mesh.

Anyone in this field that even know what's these are originally designed for? Just curious.

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:14 AM »
I'm gonna have to put this on my list of things to make looks simple and easy to do,
now for a trip back to Menards, yesterday a ton of wood pellets came home in the truck along with two stops at Franks
K

Im sure you have some paint laying around, couple clips, and some heat resistance tape. If not you can uses header tape, rescue tape, or something else.

This modification is cheap, super quick to put on/take off, and works like a charm. Best part its already made for you just put it on and go.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:20 AM »
awsome job

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:31 AM »
Great idea! I can smell the baked beans and kielbasa warming up now
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:45 AM »
What section of the store did you find the basket in, I am not understanding mesh section, thanks.  Great idea by the way!!!

These wire devises are re-bar stands. They are used for supporting re-bar up off the ground in concrete footings, trenches, etc. Menard's, Lowe's, HD, or any concrete/mason/building supply dealer will have them. I buy them for about 33 cents in bulk packs.
   Great idea! Today's project! I have dozens of them in my shed!

BIGJim223

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:31 AM »
We did something similar at deer camp. Made a wire mesh rack and hooked it up to make a toaster. Did a great job..

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:03 PM »
  Very nice.  Thanks for reminding me I need to redo mine after it got bent up.   Mine was the same idea of getting the food above the heater, but i had metal walls instead of wires.  I think the walls holding the heat right below the food instead of letting it disperse heated the food quicker.

You mentioned lasagna for you and some buddies.    Try this sometime.   
cook a venison or beef roast in a crock pot with potatoes, carrots, and onion.    Let it cool and wrap it up in aluminum foil.  You can then throw that right on the heater.    It works great.

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2012, 03:14 PM »
These wire devises are re-bar stands. They are used for supporting re-bar up off the ground in concrete footings, trenches, etc. Menard's, Lowe's, HD, or any concrete/mason/building supply dealer will have them. I buy them for about 33 cents in bulk packs.
   Great idea! Today's project! I have dozens of them in my shed!

BIGJim223

Makes total sence hence why they were next to the rebar, thanks for the info!

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2012, 03:15 PM »
If anyone makes one of these please post pics. I would like to see any modifications you made!

Offline 4reel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:43 PM »
THANKS for sharing this its one of the greatest ideas I've seen in a long time and I just happen to have $.58    left over from Christmas ;D  MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM US HERE IN MONTANA :tipup:

Offline threadforstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2012, 02:03 PM »
THANKS for sharing this its one of the greatest ideas I've seen in a long time and I just happen to have $.58    left over from Christmas ;D  MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM US HERE IN MONTANA :tipup:

glad I could help a few people was dumb luck. .58 everyone who ice fishes has that in their budget

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:22 PM »
damn...another excuse to finally retire my old focus heater and get a buddy...Nice THINKING!
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.