Author Topic: Artic Armor Floating Suit  (Read 7698 times)

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
Artic Armor Floating Suit
« on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Who can tell me about the Arctic Armor ice suits?   I am looking at buying one but would like to know how they stand up to cold weather. (well below zero in the wind)   :tipup:
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Artic Armor Floating Suit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:39 PM »
ya there great  but expencive

my buddy  ask me   if iuve found where you could get them   

thanks you for bringing the topic up

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

oh no I gotta get fishin
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:44 PM »
profishingsupply.com has em.   I understand they are a sponsor here now.     I was just curious how good they keep the cold out.   
 ???
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:57 PM »
They are almost too warm for comfort!

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2012, 11:58 PM »
There may be some of us getting together Sat morning...you can look over mine.... i know two maybe three other guys at Keyhole that run em.... I dont regret buying mine.

Offline RNsurfnturf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I got a AA suit last year.....

I use the comparison that its like wrapping yourself in an electric blanket turned on high!

No complaints whatsover....
Sometimes you have to fish when you can,
not when you want, but guess what?

You're still fishing!!!

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Love mine. It's very comfortable and warm, without a lot of layering needed.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Here's my experience...I tend to be cold-blooded and I am usually the guy that gets cold first....with that in mind.

I love my Arctic Armor Plus suit. I'll walk out and drill some holes by hand and I'm toasty warm. After awhile, I cool off but stay comfortable enough to sit outside of my shack. I could never do before my Arctic Armor suit. The only thing that makes me move inside is to keep my hands warm and then I have to unzip my coat or I even get too warm...

Oh and I don't really layer up...I wear t-shirt, jeans and a hooded sweat shirt under the suit.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 AM »
mine has been great for that past 5-6 years. very warm (i keep mine unzipped or even take the coat off when walking out and when drilling holes by hand). Usually have the coat atleast partially unzipped when fishing. Keeps the wind and cold out. they however do not breath well so try hard not to sweat in them and wear a wicking layer next to your skin.

i usually just wear jeans and a hoodie under mine and I am a bucket sitter. Have been out in sub zero wind chills for hours and stayed comfortable.

My only advice is to try to get them somewhere u can try em on. Their sizing is real weird. I'm 6ft and 210 and would have thought that I would be xl in the coat and bibs with my layers on. It turned out that Med coat and large bibs fit perfect, lol.

J-

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:12 AM »
I used mine for the first time yesterday and absolutly love it.  I had coat unzipped all day because i was so warm!!  The padded knees are sweet. I had on jeans t-shirt and thermal shirt and never thought about the cold.  I highly reccomend this suit to all.  I bought the red and black one.  The fact that it floats is great too, hoowever I never wanna try it out :o

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:33 AM »
You could also search for the striker ice suits.  They have a lot of good feedback on this site.  I got mine this year and love it.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Anyone have one of these?

I read that the basic Carhart-style bibs and coat take on water at an incredible rate if you fall in.  And that the Arctic Armor suits actually float!  Was also considering the Clam Ice Armor, but they don't float and actually cost more.

Warmth isn't much of an issue.  I have a shack/heater and it doesn't really get that cold in Iowa anyway.  My current Polar Kings keep me very warm. 

Offline RATMAN66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Got one, LOVE it!

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:06 AM »
x2.. :tipup: 4 yrs.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I bought mine in 2008 agree the suit could breathe and wick moisture better, also the leg gaiter feature can be a bit of a hassle use the leg zippers when putting on the bibs. The gaiters are internal try to just slip your feet/leg through with zippers closed I always get hung so open yhe zipper and Velcro closures on gaiter put on bibs close gaiters and zippers.

Here is the website for I.D.I. Gear the makers/marketers of Artic Armor. I hope this works  have not tried to do a hyper link in awhile.

www.idigear.com    The link works just checked.

Steve

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 PM »
I got the blue suit last year and was stoked at first.  I've only had it a season and a half and I have numerous rips and tears.  The armpit on the jacket ripped one one of the first few trips out.  I kneel on the ice almost all the time and I'm bummed because I just tore a hole in the knee but both knees have been leaking for awhile.
I don't know if that's just the cheapest suit they have or what.  I was just looking at IDI and it looks like some of the other suits are just a little more heavy duty.
I'd say if you go that route spend the extra money.  I wouldn't say I'm disappointed so much as I don't think it met my expectations. 
All that said a suit that floats is pretty cool.  The suit is really warm and can be too warm at times.  I would buy it again, just going to spend the extra for the padded knees and re enforced inseam.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline crawpie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 PM »
After reading Oddfish's post about the 34 year old who died after going through the ice, I got thinking about ice safety.  I often go out alone and wonder if I could survive a dunking.  Does anyone use Arctic Armor or some other flotation suit? IF so, what are the reviews?  I don't carry spikes around my neck, but I may start. 
The Quest continues

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:13 PM »
When I go solo early and late season I wear picks around my neck, and an inflatable vest (SOSpenders) at least until I determine the ice conditions and/or when moving to new ice.  When I go with someone else, I try to remember to take along my throwable PFD cushion with its 50' line from out of my boat as well.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM »
I always carry ice picks with me.
Never leave home without them.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:18 PM »
 Yep

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Just remember if your on foot:

Ice chisel is the pro-active measure to keep you above the ice.
Ice picks are the re-active measure to get you out of the water.

You need both.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Striker ice floating suit. I finally broke down and bought one this year and so far i love it! Kept me warm in-18F in pittsburg! The only problem im having is the bibs are a medium and border line too big for me, i ordered a small set last night to try so by next week i may have a pair of medium bibs for sale.

tiny people make me sick LOL

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Striker ice floating suit. I finally broke down and bought one this year and so far i love it! Kept me warm in-18F in pittsburg! The only problem im having is the bibs are a medium and border line too big for me, i ordered a small set last night to try so by next week i may have a pair of medium bibs for sale.

Are the deer still big up there? Hunted there years ago. Just before they started the moose lottery. Killed 2 nice bucks. 1 over 200# & 1 the coyotes enjoyed. Can't remember the name of the mtn. that borders Canada & Maine. But that's where we hunted.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Striker ice suit also , just unzip two front pockets and pull out the built in ice pics already on a cord.

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:41 PM »
i icefish alone most of the time.
some precautions i take.
avoid questionable ice. just not worth the risk
try to keep my holes within visual or shouting distance of others, just not too close to crowd them.
i wear a wetsuit underneath,
also wear a PFD.
i also wear hunter orange vest and hat so people can see me from a distance,
if i happen to fall through, slim chance they would see my head from 100 yds, but hope they do see some orange that may get their attention
ice pick , i fabricated my own with some wood, nails,
for what people spend on ice fishing equipment, shanties, power augers, sonars, sleds, etc...
if you can afford a dedicated ice suit, go for it.

while a wetsuit is not intended to save you as a dry suit, it does buy you lots more time,
i kayak cold weather, and on occassion i will jump into freezing waters, near shore in a controlled setting, just to experience the shock in a safe manner, as opposed to feeling that cold for the first time in an emergency.
have done so with and without my westuit and wont go out on the ice without my wetsuit
i recommend anyone who spends lots of time on the ice to at least once take a dip in a safe setting to know what to expect

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Not bad advise.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:10 PM »
 How much do these cost.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Less than $300 shipped to door last yr from Red Rock store

Offline allstar617

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Striker ice suit also , just unzip two front pockets and pull out the built in ice pics already on a cord.
I just got the striker hardwater suit, no ice pics in mine. Got a picture??
Will recommend the striker over the AA suit any day.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Dont have a picture, they are yellow with retractable spikes, my suit was new last yr, has the "bobber" on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.