Author Topic: Willow Branch 'Tip-ups'?  (Read 4137 times)

Markd

Willow Branch 'Tip-ups'?
« on: Mar 07, 2005, 06:17 PM »
I have heard of many people using a willow branch and a spool of line as a set line :tipup:.  I have a few questions about how this exactly works.....

-How is the spool line attached to the branch?  And how will a fish be able to run with line?
-If willow branches can't be found is there any other prefered branc type?

I will be fishing for lake trout mostly, in 15-50 feet of water.

Please try and be specific on how they work. :D

Thankyou very much.

Mark

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willow Branch 'Tip-ups'?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2005, 11:23 PM »
We used a 6 foot long , slender , whippy , straight willow branch or shoot stuck in a mound of snow near the ice fishing hole and leaning over the hole . Right above the hole we cut a slice into the bark(at about the four foot mark) , into which the line was positioned(after the bait was lowered to the desired depth) . A red flag was tied to the line just under the pole .The excess line (30 yards or so)was wrapped on a notched stick (both ends) , approx. 1/8" thick x1 1/2" wide x 12" long.
A fish mouthing the bait would send the tip of the pole bobbing up and down , plus move the flag down .
A fish could run with the bait(not much resistance) but the waving of the pole and the clattering of the line wrapped stick would certainly get our attention .
Hope this helps a bit.
The pole was positioned so that it would fall across the hole instead of down it ....if the bait was hit by a large fish .   

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
Re: Willow Branch 'Tip-ups'?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2005, 11:52 PM »
we just drop lure to bottom pull up to desired hight wrap around tip a few times then tie it to the base for strength.Big ones break the tip sometimes.I sometimes use them with a fishing rod by putting it back from the hole reel open and wrap it direct to the tip allows me to fish more holes.I have a # of sticks that are great for this they are just stick with screws in them one going each way with fuel line on them that I wrap line around.I put 30ft on each of mine.allows me to set up those sticks in a hurray cause the swivels and leaders are on all ready and I can reuse the line.I drilled a few holes in the sticks and use a twist tie to hold line tight while not in use.I have 25lb test dacron line on mine.Is good for pickeral pike whitefish trout up here.The dacron is black looks like string and does not tangle on the sticks.regular mono likely would not work well on these storage sticks.Long flexible poles work best.The pole will allow enough run for the fish to swallow hook.Not many that move the stick get away.A spool might be better if trying to catch really small fish.I only fish the above mentioned species this way.Have caught perch by accident though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.