The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion auger or propane auger  (Read 38321 times)

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ion auger or propane auger
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:41 PM »
The Icegator with a Nils auger cuts circles around the Ion.  No pun intended... My buddy has just got the ION and my gator out cut him 3holes -1. The gator cut no less than 70 holes today in 6-8 inches of ice. The battery and head are in their 4th season without change or sharpening. Love it.

What happened to the icegator on this site? Didnt they sponsor it for awhile? I went onto fish 307's site and noticed they were not selling them anymore?  I was looking to pick one up but was leaning toward ion because I was not seeing anything on the site lately...any thoughts would be appreciated....

Offline candyok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I bought an Ion last Nov. & have been drilling holes in 20" of ice & love it. I had a Icegator before & had good luck with it but it was 19# more I had to carry. I'm to sure about the future of Icegator, nice people but not sure about their business plan.
A bad day of fishing with your dog, beats any day of doing HONEYDOS.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:31 PM »
ion does not have a 10 inch auger yet they were thinking on for next year i emailed them and instead of a 10 inch how about a 9 inch i guess we will have to wait and see what they do .
what is and what should never be

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:43 PM »
I have an 8in now and dont have a problem. If I want a bigger hole I drill two touching. I would just like something that doesnt leak and trip gas everywhere. Lighter would be nice but I have humped a ruck sack for 17 years now so an auger wont kill me. I found an ION for 300 so I was just asking for some reviews and thoughts from users. Thank you everyone!!!
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:38 AM »
I have  never owned anything that runs on a battery like the Ion. What do you do with it for storage the 8 or 9 months you don't use it?

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:27 AM »
I have  never owned anything that runs on a battery like the Ion. What do you do with it for storage the 8 or 9 months you don't use it?

Thats a very good question. I am sure that you can trickle charge like I do my harley in the winter, but I do not know.
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:03 AM »
I found an ION for 300 so I was just asking for some reviews and thoughts from users. Thank you everyone!!!

If you wouldn't mind, could you either post the link to the auger here or PM it to me? Thanks...

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:04 AM »
I have been running the ION with zero problems, I actually own a jiffy propane and several other augers and by far the ION is my favorite. I almost feel guilty not using the other augers I own. I think people who live in locations that get 2 to 4 feet of ice might not want this auger they might be better off with a gas or a propane auger. but where I fish the most ice we see is 8-15 inches in a season. I cant remember seeing anything near 2 feet in years, so the electric is perfect for me.
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I have been running the ION with zero problems, I actually own a jiffy propane and several other augers and by far the ION is my favorite. I almost feel guilty not using the other augers I own. I think people who live in locations that get 2 to 4 feet of ice might not want this auger they might be better off with a gas or a propane auger. but where I fish the most ice we see is 8-15 inches in a season. I cant remember seeing anything near 2 feet in years, so the electric is perfect for me.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. My buddy said he can crank thru 12 inches no problem. I guess I just need to make the decision and buy it and if I dont like it it will be a learning experience.

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:29 AM »
i've stepped in 10" hole hidden by snow other than that i don't think i'll catch a fish that big in ct that i need a 10" hole

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:31 AM »
i've stepped in 10" hole hidden by snow other than that i don't think i'll catch a fish that big in ct that i need a 10" hole

LMAO... I did it twice in one day early in the year this year and I can tell you that if my knee could talk it would have cussed out that hole  :(

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:08 PM »

I have owned a Bosch 36v lithium ion drill with 2 batteries for 4 years now, and I have had zero issues with the batteries (or setup in general). These are the same batteries as the ION uses. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable, but my guess is they are. I bought the drill for my 7" auger, which works awesome together. I don't charge the batteries in the off season, but they're ready to go each season.

Side note: I would love to know if anyone has swapped the battery from a Bosch 36v on a ION auger. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:34 PM »

A 10" hole has nothing to do with the size of the fish you pull out of it. You can pull a 36" pike through a 6" hole to be honest, but when it's cold, it sure is nice to have a bigger hole to resist freeze back of the hole. Also being able to see the spool and peel line off it without disturbing the trap at all is nice. It's like a sport utility vehicle... most people certainly don't need all that room, ever, but it sure is nice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:41 PM »
A 10" hole has nothing to do with the size of the fish you pull out of it. You can pull a 36" pike through a 6" hole to be honest, but when it's cold, it sure is nice to have a bigger hole to resist freeze back of the hole. Also being able to see the spool and peel line off it without disturbing the trap at all is nice. It's like a sport utility vehicle... most people certainly don't need all that room, ever, but it sure is nice.

Your 100% correct but I have four kids and work for the Army so my pay is limited...lol.. I will see what kind of deals are out there. I was hoping to win one at one of the derbies I went to in Maine but didnt happen.

Offline Raatsu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Has anybody tried to modify the ION shaft to accept NILS adapter?

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:45 PM »
love my ion best thing ever. keep your battery warm no problems.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:05 PM »
i bought a ion about a month ago and i love it just read your instruction manual and you will all set ;D

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:44 PM »
How many holes do you drill in a day
Drilled 35 first day out 5-6" not alot of drillin but the last hole cut just as easily as the first

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Has anybody tried to modify the ION shaft to accept NILS adapter?
[/quote

Cuts well, maybe 5-10% better than the Ion if you have an imagination.

(Image removed from quote.)
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Been able to go out almost every day here recently.  Ice has ranged from 14-22 inches, I have been lucky enough not to have to drill a ton of holes to find fish but I can go a couple days before I even think about charging the Ion.  I've been popping 6-15 holes a day right now.  One day when the high was around zero I put the battery inside my bibs when I would go in the shack, all the other days I've left it on the auger and set it down on the atv.  I'm really happy with mine so far and I got a smoking deal on it so I have no complaints.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:07 PM »
nice set up does it weight the as the ion auger blade ?

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:18 PM »
ION will be my next auger. I don't care how fast they drill compared to others. I'm not in any race. Quite, know smoke in the shack.
I seen one drill 40 holes, 24 inches of ice. that impressed me, but with any auger, it needs to be kept sharp.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:03 PM »
nice set up does it weight the as the ion auger blade ?

My Nils is a bit different. I made it for my IceGator. It is a Nils blade extender, a regular head with the extension/adapter made for the IceGator. All I needed to adapt the Nils to the Ion was an adapter .875 O.D / 18mm I.D. Mine weighs about 1lb less than the Ion.
I also adapted a StrikeLite composite  auger to the Ion. Weighs 2 1/2 lbs less and cuts very well. I did another post on IS w/pics about both adaptions. I did the conversions for my own satisfaction as I already had the Nils
and StrikeLite augers. My own recommendation would be to use and enjoy your stock Ion and don't look back.
Everyone on IS that's criticizing the Ion is just Ion Green with envy.
If you really want to mess around with other augers buy (@ end of season prices, a StrikeMaster 8" Lazer hand auger, last year @ Cabelas $65). It goes right on the extension that's included with the Ion. Just make sure the blades are "Made in Sweden"
Leave Some For Seed

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:31 PM »
I have the Ion as well and have put it thru some pretty extensive testing.

I have contacted Ion themselves and confirmed this as well. I will include the email correspondence at the bottom of this post.

First: Charge it after every use. Dont put it on the auger till your ready to use it.

Second: KEEP THE BATTERY WARM. The weather does affect its performance. Ion themselves state is should be kept at 40deg for optimal performance. That means remove it when not in use, and store it in a pocket or in a shanty.

I have tested this theory myself. I went out, drilled 50 holes and left it on the ice. After 2 hours of sitting on the ice i couldn't cut another hole without it shutting off under load (drilling a hole).

Next time out (same temps outside). I drilled 50 holes. Took the battery off and stuck it in one of my spare wool socks i carry with a hand warmer. 2 hrs later i popped it on the auger, and drilled 10 more holes no problem. Took it off, back in the sock with the warmer. 6 hours later as we were packing up, i put it back on and popped 10 more holes, no problem.

Here is my email correspondence with Ion.

______________________ ____________

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Ion Auger

Hello there,

I recently purchased the new highly hyped Ion Auger.
I took it out today for the first time and have to say it cut my fist 10 holes with ease.

After setting the auger down on the ice for a couple hours, which i assume is ok as i see it being done in your official video on your website.
I picked it up to drill some more holes and it would drill for about 5 seconds then stop. I checked my battery, and it had two bars. Should have been fine.

Is this a defect in the product, battery, or both.

This put a huge damper on my day as I am an avid jigger and was unable to drill new holes...

Overall the experience was a huge disappointment.

Im hoping there is an easy fix to this issue that you can fill me in on.

Thx

Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:09:27 PM
Subject: RE: Ion Auger

Hello

We have found (after the video was made) that the battery must be kept warm.  The core temperature needs to be about 40 degrees.

When you take the auger out on the ice and after you drill the first holes, take the battery off and put it in your pocket or in a heated ice shelter or vehicle.  Then when you want to make another bunch of holes, the ION should work just fine.

Make sure your battery is fully charged by leaving it on the charger in the house or heated garage overnight.

If you do all this and still have problems, please let me know.

Best regards,

Customer Service Manager

Ardisam, International
[email protected]
800-345-6007 ext 126
Fax 715-822-2223
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm CTS
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Bait Bucket, Thank you for posting your email correspondence with Ion. I can now remove the Ion auger off my "want next" list. The whole thing about they noticed the battery had to be kept warm AFTER they made and released the video (?) has defiled how I judge the companies credibility. Certainly some level of research and development went into the product. In my humble opinion they knew very well of the cold battery snafu and chose not to make it public untill they were called out on it. Additionally keeping the battery core temperature at about 40 degrees won't happen in at least 50% of my ice outings.
  Again, thank you Bait Bucket. To each his own, but it's not for me.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 AM »
I agree MM, i even replied back that there is grounds for false advertising.
There is no way they didnt know the cold temps had an affect on the battery.. Its an ice auger for christ sake..

As for me, Im ok with it. It only takes a few second to pop on and off. I have easily spent more time than that trying to get my gas auger going and warmed up after sitting in the cold for a while.
I dont have shelter, so it basically sits in a milk crate in my sled wrapped in a sock with hand warmers. And im able to keep it warm enough to operate.

The trade off is, roughly half the weight of my old Jiffy 30. No gas, no stink, no mixing, no sore back from lugging..

Im actually in the process of making a reflectix lined coozy that fits around the battery while on the auger, that i can slip a couple hand warmers in. So i can leave the battery right on the auger.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:51 AM »
I have the Ion as well and have put it thru some pretty extensive testing.

I have contacted Ion themselves and confirmed this as well. I will include the email correspondence at the bottom of this post.

First: Charge it after every use. Dont put it on the auger till your ready to use it.

Second: KEEP THE BATTERY WARM. The weather does affect its performance. Ion themselves state is should be kept at 40deg for optimal performance. That means remove it when not in use, and store it in a pocket or in a shanty.

I have tested this theory myself. I went out, drilled 50 holes and left it on the ice. After 2 hours of sitting on the ice i couldn't cut another hole without it shutting off under load (drilling a hole).

Next time out (same temps outside). I drilled 50 holes. Took the battery off and stuck it in one of my spare wool socks i carry with a hand warmer. 2 hrs later i popped it on the auger, and drilled 10 more holes no problem. Took it off, back in the sock with the warmer. 6 hours later as we were packing up, i put it back on and popped 10 more holes, no problem.

Here is my email correspondence with Ion.

______________________ ____________

Wow e-mail from Ardisam. The same makers of Eskimo Augers. I just learned something new.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:55 AM »
This is what I came up with to combat having to take my battery off to keep it warm on my Ion.
Wifey made it in about an hour.

Reflectix lined with a waterproof/windproof nylon shell (tent material). Used black as it will draw heat naturally from the sun as well.

One Hand warmer here for the front of the battery.

One had warmer on left and right side

Buttoned up

Front shot

On the Ion

I havnt tested it yet, but my hope is this will keep it warm enough to leave it on the auger in the coldest of conditions.
Without having to remove it to keep it warm.. May not need 3 hand warmers either, but testing will tell.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:48 AM »
That is a great idea with the battery case. I have been leary from the start of the battery augers to how well the battery will hold up in the cold. Hopefully this will work great for you. Let use know how well it works as that may turn my opinion to more of the positive side. Also why not to try making some money on the side if it does work. If you have a great idea why not take advantage of it before someone else does.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I don't have an ion auger but having been using an adapter on my mora 7" hand auger that lets me use my rigid 18volt lithium ion cordless drill.I am able to drill 25 to 30 holes thru 8" on one battery no bullcrap.It ways next to nothing and is cheaper than those other battery augers.The adapter cost $30 and everybody has a hand auger and cordless drill.I haven't gone thru more than 8" but side by side it cuts faster than my jiffy30 with new blade.Just another option for people to check out.It surprised me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.