The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion auger or propane auger  (Read 38319 times)

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
Ion auger or propane auger
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Just curious to know if any of you have used this yet and what ya think? I wasnt impressed with the fact that it comes with only one battery thats suppose to be good for 40 holes through 2 feet of ice, seems like they would give you two batteries............. ..any how?? Whatcha think?
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Ion auger or propane auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I think the second battery would raise the purchase price by nearly $150 which is what a spare battery sells for.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2012, 03:25 PM »
You don't get a spare lithium battery with an iPhone either.  In fact, you can't just change it out every day either.  And yet they sell millions of them, and they do what they're supposed to do.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dave W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I've only played around with them a bit but some guys in this area have been fishing with them already, and so far they all love them.  I think the true test will be in late winter when the ice is thick and the temperatures are frigid.  But they say if you keep the battery in your pocket or your shelter to keep it warm, the performance will be really good.  I keep toying with the idea of getting one, just not sure yet .....
It's All Fun And Games Until Someone Loses An 'Eye!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Any steel stud framer/commercial drywall guy will tell you not to worry too much about the li-ion batterys in the cold. I've framed with my 18v li-ion Makita in some crazy cold temps and the guns perform well. Li-ion batteries perform really well in the cold. My only issue is that it's not if, it's when your battery is shot, it's shot completely, as in it won't power the device at all. The old ni-mh batterys would lose performance when they got old, but you could still use them until you could afford another one. They don't last forever though, you have to plan on buying that new battery at some point. Like I said, not if, when.

I'd love to have one of them for most average days, but my problem is that I'd still need a gas auger for those multi-day camping trips to the backcountry. I can carry my Jiffy and a gallon of gas and I can drill holes for a year.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012, 03:01 PM »
I was excited to see the Ion at the big C-Store...they look awesome.  There have been other high-power electric auger heads out there for a couple years, battery life was not the problem (other issues, but not battery).  From the sounds of it, Li-On technology makes electric augers even better and more reliable.

My question was on the auger and blades.  Didn't get a chance to look at it very close, wondering how well they drill/bite/break wrists/etc.

If i were buying a new auger this year it would very likely be the Ion.

Offline pikefishmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:40 PM »
all it is really an electric Eskimo

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Anybody know if the battery is interchangeable with the Bosch 36 volt Li-Ion batteries? The batteries look identical, only difference is 40v instead of 36v. I know my 10.6v Bosch and 12v Bosch are interchangeable in the same way.  I own a Bosch with 2 batteries, so I'm curious if my batteries would work with this unit, or vice-verse since the 40v ION batteries are cheaper @ $150 each.

Offline walleyeken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Fished for the first time with my new ion and loved it.  Did not give it a real test - only drilled 18 holes in about 8" of ice but it worked great.  Really no effort at all - just press the buttons and hold on.  Wanted to see what it could do at the end of the day but it started pouring down rain so i postponed the test until another day.

There were three other groups of guys out and two of them were having trouble starting their gas augers.  Pull, pull, pull, swear, pull, swear.....  Been there and done that and don't think i will miss that old Jiffy one bit.

My only complaints so far is i find the two buttons a little awkward and I do not like the delay between when you press the buttons and when it starts but i think i will get used to both - neither is really a big deal.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:33 PM »
You don't get a spare lithium battery with an iPhone either.  In fact, you can't just change it out every day either.  And yet they sell millions of them, and they do what they're supposed to do.
and my iPhone 5 has unbelievably long battery life.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:54 PM »
I am interested how these test go

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:58 PM »
I have been looking into buying a new auger. I am up in the air on which one I want to buy, a new ION or a propane jiffy. Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences on the two?
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:46 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strikemaster-HL-8-Honda-Lite-8-1-5Hp-Four-Stroke-Honda-Engine-Ice-Auger-Fishing-/271145391950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2186574e

Four stroke honda at 28lbs...How can you beat that??  I have a jiffy legend,its built like a tank and weighs almost as much....

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I used a buddys new ION a few weeks ago in VT. Drilled all the holes for four of us and kept going strong.
I like it and will own one for next season. Blaine had some in stock if you want to check it out.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:53 PM »
The Ion has the Jiffy beat as far as weight goes. Ion I believe to be 23lbs.  as compared to 38 on the Jiffy. If you don't need 100 holes a day then I would go for the Ion. Only drawback to it is the Battery price when you need a new one, something like $150. The Strikemaster Electric weighs about 28lbs. for about $400 and new battery when needed about $30. Ask Blaine at CT Outfitters for info as I know he tried one of the Ions out.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:57 PM »
One more thing about the Ion is that I think it will accept the Mora or the Lazer hand auger bits if you wanted to put on a smaler one.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:01 PM »
I've used them both and the weight difference alone made up my mind... 22lbs vs 33 is a huge difference. I got 97 holes through 8" and fell in love with the ION. They are getting very hard to find now. I have 3 due in on Wednesday and one is already sold. Here is a quick video from my test drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngA5Da7_56A

Offline Kattie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired US Navy Chief
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Just got ion ice auger,can't wait to try. Has anyone used this auger and did it live up to the promo.
US Navy Chief Retired

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:07 PM »
I don't personally own one but I have been reading a lot of posts on em .In my opinion I'm sticking to my gas auger.
Off to walk on water

Offline fishngameguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:04 PM »
The Icegator with a Nils auger cuts circles around the Ion.  No pun intended... My buddy has just got the ION and my gator out cut him 3holes -1. The gator cut no less than 70 holes today in 6-8 inches of ice. The battery and head are in their 4th season without change or sharpening. Love it.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Can you put a 10in on the ion ?
Go big or go home

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Been using an Ion for about a month nothing bad to say about it

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Been using an Ion for about a month nothing bad to say about it

How many holes do you drill in a day

Offline Diehardiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:09 PM »
The Icegator with a Nils auger cuts circles around the Ion.  No pun intended... My buddy has just got the ION and my gator out cut him 3holes -1. The gator cut no less than 70 holes today in 6-8 inches of ice. The battery and head are in their 4th season without change or sharpening. Love it.
i agree the gator smokes the ion!!!  They need to get rid of that delay on the ion. Then it might get a lil closet to the gator

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:40 PM »
used an ion for the first time to reopen holes in permanent shack for the good it cut ok, no smell, lightweight easy to use female friendly.   the bad lightweight feels like going to drop it down hole while drilling delay in turning on.   ..... just my thoughts

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:29 AM »
Can you put a 10in on the ion ?

That was one of my questions too????
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:30 AM »
I've used them both and the weight difference alone made up my mind... 22lbs vs 33 is a huge difference. I got 97 holes through 8" and fell in love with the ION. They are getting very hard to find now. I have 3 due in on Wednesday and one is already sold. Here is a quick video from my test drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngA5Da7_56A

I guess the question is what is the ION running out the door????

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:39 AM »
Im waiting for a deal on the jiffy propane, as soon as I see numbers I like I'm buying one for sure.  Some asked if they can out a 10" on the ion.  Not sure, have seen the extension used and 6" mora attached. 

Offline gboutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:38 AM »
I strongly suspect that the ion will drive a shrp 10 in blade just ifne, but you will get less 10" holes from a charged battery, than 8 or 6.  We have people putting NIls blades on and Fin-Bor blades also. I put a call and an e-mail into the manufacturer and will update this once I get an answer from them, if they have any experience with 10 cuts from the ION-gb
Don't Just Sit There, GET OUT!
gary brummett, owner
Connecticut Outfitters
512 Silas Deane Hwy
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Offline danerc07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:25 PM »
My buddy has one and we have used it on several different occasions. It cuts pretty fast (just as fast as my strikmaster magnum with a brand new blade) it's light, it's quiet and it will cut plenty of holes on one battery. I think the most holes we have drilled was around 20 and it was still going strong. That's all fine and dandy but if the battery gets to cold your done for.... We've been out on the ice, cut 5-6 holes and let the auger sit on the ice for 2 hours (around 15 degrees F that day). When we tried drilling more holes the auger could barely get through 1. Overall I think its a great machine and if you have the ability to keep the battery warm it's awesome. If your hole hopping outside of a house all day and have no way to keep that battery relatively warm I think you'd be better off with a gas auger.
youtube.com/danerc07

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.