The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Tanaka (TIA-350PFS) or husqvarna  (Read 8551 times)

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tanaka (TIA-350PFS) or husqvarna
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:05 AM »
I'm down to buying one of these two augers, which one would you choose and why. 
FeaturesSpecifications . •32.2 cc, 1.6 HP two-stroke engine provides excellent throttle response, reliable starting and proven durability •S-Start system reduces the amount of pull-force required by 40% •Tall wrap-around handles protect the engine from damage and provide the operator with more leverage •Sound reduction system •Primer for fast starting •33.2 output torque (ft/lbs) •17.6 lbs •Covered by Tanaka's two-year commercial use warranty, seven-year consumer use warranty and one-year rental use warranty Optional
Tanaka Engine Type  Two-Stroke 
Displacement  32.2 cc 
Output 1.6 hp 
Fuel Tank Capacity 23.8 Fl. Oz. 
Cylinder  Chrome Plated, Stress Relieved
Connecting Rod  Forged Steel 
Carburetion Walbro® Diaphragm w/ Primer
Starting System  S-Start
Ignition System Transistorized Electronic
Clutch System Heavy-Duty Centrifugal 
Transmission Double Stage Reduction
Reduction Ratio 41:1
Output Size 1" Round
Optional Bit Sizes  2", 4", 6", 8" (Earth Bit Only)
Optional Bit Styles Standard, Pengo and Ice 
Dry Weight  17.6 lbs (Powerhead Only)
Shipping Weight 22 lbs 
EPA Phase 2 Compliant  Yes
CARB Tier II Compliant No
Gas/Oil Ratio 50:1
Warranty  2-Year Commercial Use, 7-Year Consumer Use,
1-Year Rental Use

Husqvarna
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 1.5 cu.inch / 24.5 cm³
Power output 1.21 hp / 0.9 kW
Maximum power speed 8400 rpm
Maximum recommended engine speed 11000 rpm
Carburettor Zama C1Q
Fuel tank volume 0 fl oz / 0.5 lit
Fuel consumption 550 g/kWh
Spark plug Champion RCJ6Y
Electrode gap 0 " / 0.5 mm
Gear ratio 59:1
Overall dimensions Weight (excl. cutting equipment)
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tanaka (TIA-350PFS) or husqvarna
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:11 AM »
I can't speak for the Husky as I don't own one, at least not an auger.  But, I do own the Tanaka auger and I can tell  you that I love it.  It starts easy, sips fuel, and does not weigh too much.  You can't go wrong with either one in any likelyhood.
Mike

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I dont think you can go wrong with either, they both work great. Im pretty sure you listed the larger tanaka which is the one you would want, the smaller one that comes with the nils augers doesent do so well up in Canada, especially come late season. On either auger you will likely be running the swedish Mora flightings that strikemaster uses. You may have to get a custom adapter made for the tanaka to mate it to the mora flighting, I know Pokeys Tackle shop in Regina does this but they charge big bucks for their setups.

Still got nothing bad to say about my Husqvarna, sat with old fuel all summer and fired right up second pull. I burnt that entire tank on the ice this winter already in -20 to -30 weather with zero issues.. just keeps begging for more.

Happy shopping.  :tipup:

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I dont think you can go wrong with either, they both work great. Im pretty sure you listed the larger tanaka which is the one you would want, the smaller one that comes with the nils augers doesent do so well up in Canada, especially come late season. On either auger you will likely be running the swedish Mora flightings that strikemaster uses. You may have to get a custom adapter made for the tanaka to mate it to the mora flighting, I know Pokeys Tackle shop in Regina does this but they charge big bucks for their setups.

Still got nothing bad to say about my Husqvarna, sat with old fuel all summer and fired right up second pull. I burnt that entire tank on the ice this winter already in -20 to -30 weather with zero issues.. just keeps begging for more.

Happy shopping.  :tipup:

Hey Layne, you don't use the husky flighting on the husky? If not why

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:45 AM »
The huskys(normarks) come with a Mora flighting from the factory, works pretty good. Take good care of your blades though, replacements are about 60 bucks.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Thanks Layne, still have not made up my mind, cost is the same, I like the direct drive of the husky, and the fact that it is a ice auger only, the tanaka is a earth auger, so will it run as good as the husky in the cold?  I just want a great runing auger, my current auger is a eskimo barracuda plus and shes still good, but heavy and never runs great, but always runs, its not crazy about the extreme cold!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:26 PM »
I see another guy on LML that has the big Tanaka with a 10" Mora flighting on it and it seems to start and run great, chews pretty good too for a 10" auger.

Tanaka has been around for a loooong time and are known to build a reliable product.

Cant go wrong either way, I love my industrial grade ice auger.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Even though the photos of that Husky clearly show a stamp that says "mora" on the blade, I believe that those are the strikemaster laser auger blades.

How does the direct drive work??  Is the motor just designed to run at the ideal RPM for cutting with those blades?? 

Carcus, the one that will run best in the cold is the one with more adjustments on the carb...or fuel injection, haha.  When temps change you need to adjust the fuel flow through the carb because even though the same volume of air comes through for a given rpm, there is more or less oxygen (fuel for combustion) based on the temp. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Even though the photos of that Husky clearly show a stamp that says "mora" on the blade, I believe that those are the strikemaster laser auger blades.

How does the direct drive work??  Is the motor just designed to run at the ideal RPM for cutting with those blades?? 

Carcus, the one that will run best in the cold is the one with more adjustments on the carb...or fuel injection, haha.  When temps change you need to adjust the fuel flow through the carb because even though the same volume of air comes through for a given rpm, there is more or less oxygen (fuel for combustion) based on the temp.

Not sure if its Mora or strikemaster making them with the Mora name but yes they're all the same flightings.

Strikemaster and husqvarna(normark) use idential flightings which happen to be the same ones guys are putting under their Tanakas.

I could be wrong on this but im not sure the husky would be considered direct drive, there has to be some form of gear reduction to get the 59:1 ratio otherwise wouldnt it just be 1:1 off the motor directly?

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:11 PM »
The Husqvarna auger uses a planetary gear case (the black and silver cylinder at the base of the auger shaft).  There are 3 sets of planetary gears inside that provide the necessary gear reduction.  I had mine apart last year, cleaned and re-greased everything, it was stiff when it was cold out, works awesome now.  Definitely not "direct drive", any 2 stroke engine running that slow (if it could) wouldn't have nearly enough torque to spin the flighting.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Hey Layne, how does the husqvarna cut compared to that jiffy?  And is the jiffy a 3hp?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Two totally different animals. The jiffy cuts good when you lean on it and make it bite, send ice flying everywhere.. pretty awesome. The husky rotates way slower and just sucks itself down into the ice. Im not sure which would be faster but I sure as hell know which is easier. I cut a ton of holes and not once have I thought "I wish this husqvarna was faster".

Cheers

Layne

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:02 AM »
Still 50/50, closest dealer sells tanaka, but only by a few miles, would the husqvarna/mora flighting work on the tanaka of course with an adapter but do they turn in the same direction

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:35 AM »
What flighting would be best on the tanaka, they have a eskimo 10" on the one that on display in the store, I could try my eskimo 9" and see how it cuts, but I would like to get the most effecient flighting for this auger, would the husqvarna/mora work?

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Well, the recoil stuck open on my barracuda plus yesterday in the extreme cold, and I just replaced it! Hope its not broken again, its been a great auger, drilled thousands of holes, but not its time, gunna buy the tanaka this week, not sure what is the best flighting to run, will try eskimo first.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:28 AM »
What flighting would be best on the tanaka, they have a eskimo 10" on the one that on display in the store, I could try my eskimo 9" and see how it cuts, but I would like to get the most effecient flighting for this auger, would the husqvarna/mora work?

Nils would be the best choice for the Tanaka

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:41 AM »
Does nils make a 9 or 10"?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:38 AM »
NO. 6or8
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Nils would be the best choice for the Tanaka

Not up here its not.

For the big tanaka you want to go with the Mora flighting, guys I've talked to have had lots of problems with Nils flightings up here.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Not up here its not.

For the big tanaka you want to go with the Mora flighting, guys I've talked to have had lots of problems with Nils flightings up here.
The mora thats on the strikemasters? Is it the same flighting as the husqvarna ?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:38 PM »
They're both very similar, im not 100% sure if they're the same though. I know of at least one or two minor differences, either should work fine though.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Bought the big tanaka and a mora 2 blade 10.25" flighting, now I just need to get a adapter/extension made, or is there anything out there that will work?  If so it will be alot cheaper than custom

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Any welding or machine shop should be able to whip that up for you pretty cheap, its all custom as far as I know. Post some pictures when you get it done.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:29 PM »
Any welding or machine shop should be able to whip that up for you pretty cheap, its all custom as far as I know. Post some pictures when you get it done.
Thats what I thought, gunna look around tomorrow morning locally.  I cant post pictures here, I do have pictures of the powerhead on my iPhone but don't know how to post

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:30 AM »
Well used the tanaka yesterday on big lake winnipeg, ice is around 2 feet thick, and WOW I did not expect anything like this, how 33 cc can drill through ice so fast with now bogging blows my mind.  I raced  my cousin and his new Z71 and the tanaka absolutely killed it, no comparison, and his blades are new on the 71.  Fishing was good , caught 3 walleyes over 28"s and lots over 25"s, the big girls were on the move yesterday.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Well used the tanaka yesterday on big lake winnipeg, ice is around 2 feet thick, and WOW I did not expect anything like this, how 33 cc can drill through ice so fast with now bogging blows my mind.  I raced  my cousin and his new Z71 and the tanaka absolutely killed it, no comparison, and his blades are new on the 71.  Fishing was good , caught 3 walleyes over 28"s and lots over 25"s, the big girls were on the move yesterday.

Haha this is what I was trying to tell you last year, glad you're liking it. How about a little update?

I just bolted the 10" flighting on husqvarna for the time, im excited to see how she does this weekend. Got an extension on the way as well, we're going to need it this year for sure.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Hey Layne, I haven't gotten out in the last 9 or 10 days, working and bad weather, tomorrow will head out, can't wait to drill with this little beast again.  I had a 16" extension made, picked it up thursday, and thought I would try synthetic oil, so bought some premium gas and stihl synthetic mixed it up 50:1 so she's good to go.  Also fired up the old eskimo yesterday and wow, I am gunna have to sell it now!! Just so hard to keep running, but sounds awesome!  Would love to post some pictures here but it seems to be a pain in the arse? Any easy way of posting pics

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:48 PM »
photobucket is the easiest way for sure, its super simple once you get used to it.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:47 AM »
Too much work to post a picture!Lol  This tanaka keeps impressing, its extension time on Lake Winnipeg now, and this little 33cc beast blasts through with a 10" like nothing, doesn't even bog if I don't clean the hole while drilling, the z71 bogs and isn't even close in speed, such a strong little motor!!!  Anyone looking for a kick arse powerhead look no further!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.