Author Topic: 11 lb propane tanks?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
11 lb propane tanks?
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:36 PM »
I've been calling around for an 11lb propane tank to carry with me and use with my buddy heater in the portable shanty, but not having much luck. Any ideas where one can find one of these things? I don't like using the 1lb'ers and I'm not lugging my 40lb BBQ tank out there.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 11 lb propane tanks?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:41 PM »
never seen a 11lb. Have seen a 5 lb at gander mnt and i think a 10lber there as well. positive they have a 5lber.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Just picked one up at my local Ace Hardware.  Might try ordering from Camping World.  They aren't cheap...just fyi.  Around 50-60 bucks.
  BE THERE!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Yeah, I've been having trouble as well.
I can find the standard 11#ers but am looking for one of the pancake 11#ers for my sunflower heater as they are much more stable than the regular tall thin ones. Not needed for remote use like the Buddy heater setups though.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?  This is what I got for mine.  Same diameter of a 20# tank, just shorter.

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10393-1-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000C77UYA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1354824566&sr=8-11&keywords=propane+tanks
  BE THERE!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?  This is what I got for mine.  Same diameter of a 20# tank, just shorter.

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10393-1-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000C77UYA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1354824566&sr=8-11&keywords=propane+tanks

Exactly, except shipping to my neck of the woods is insane!!!!    ::)
Plus they won't even ship propane cyls. to me from Amazon.com.   >:(

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:38 PM »
The donut one like HVFD14 posted is the one I have , love it. Any stores in your area that carry propane tanks willing to see if they are able to get that size in for you??? 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:34 AM »
I've called a few places and I'm not having any luck. The closest I have come is an 6 lb that is small and tall, like the kind a plumber would use for his portable torch, but it was $140 and not the same connection I need. No thanks.

I got a good tip today to try some RV places, so that is my plan today. I'll let you guys know what I find.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Like the previous poster said try ace hardware i got mine several years ago there.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:36 AM »

don't know if you have a tractor supply where you live but thats where i got my 11 lb pancake tank, and the now they make a base for them to sit in as well

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:01 AM »
I have an 11lb pancake style one that I got at my local propane store.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I noticed my local Lowes has them.....they stored them outside with the garden supply stuff. They had all sizes!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Huh, I'm having a hell of a time with this. Called 2 RV places, no luck, Eastern Propane and Amerigas- the two largest LP dealers in NH... this is getting foolish. I'd try Lowes but they went belly up and pulled out of NH and I'd have to drive over state lines to get it... I can't believe this is so hard. Might have to suck up the major shipping charges and go the Amazon route.

Edit: OOoohh I guess I might be able to get free shipping! Yahtzee!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I have an 11lb pancake style one that I got at my local propane store.
Same here. I took my 5 pounder in to have it filled and they had an 11 lb pancake sitting in the fill shack. Probably the same place too.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:42 AM »
I've been calling around for an 11lb propane tank to carry with me and use with my buddy heater in the portable shanty, but not having much luck. Any ideas where one can find one of these things? I don't like using the 1lb'ers and I'm not lugging my 40lb BBQ tank out there.

Do you have a Menards in your area?  They have em' cause I just bought one.

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/11-lp-gas-cylinder-w-opd/p-134998-c-6878.htm

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 01:25 PM »
That's not a pancake style,but sometimes beggars can;t be choosers.

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:45 AM »
I'm leaving my 11 lb'er at home this year.  Lot of extra weight to drag around, although i may rethink it if I get tired of the 1 lb'ers!  I'm also going from a Mr. Heater/Cooker to a Mr. Buddy Heater.  (On sale at Menards for $69, new, not reconditioned) I like the idea of the low oxygen shutoff.  any negatives with the Mr. Buddy?  I'm in a Clam Kodiak one man.
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I love the eleven pounder for my two man flip and three man hub. I'm going with a small one man flip this year with a Little Buddy heater which uses a one pounder.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2012, 01:15 PM »
I'm leaving my 11 lb'er at home this year.  Lot of extra weight to drag around, although i may rethink it if I get tired of the 1 lb'ers!  I'm also going from a Mr. Heater/Cooker to a Mr. Buddy Heater.  (On sale at Menards for $69, new, not reconditioned) I like the idea of the low oxygen shutoff.  any negatives with the Mr. Buddy?  I'm in a Clam Kodiak one man.

Sometimes the low oxygen sensor is a little too touchy.  Usually I prop something small under the skirt and set my heater right in front of that spot to keep the O2 happy.
  BE THERE!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2012, 06:59 PM »
If I had a rank for my heater, I would rather have the 5 pounder. That would at least make it so I  don't have to change a 1 pounder on an outing. I don't reapply fish long enough go get an 11 pounder.
jbird68

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I got rid of my five pounder because it was a bit too tippy for me. It was a nice tank, but I didn't trust it with a sunflower heater on top of it.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Thats odd yours says 11, mine says 12 lb on it but when I get it filled they charge me for a 10 lb bottle,as they only a billing charge for 10 and 20 s
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.