Author Topic: Gyros/Donner kebobs  (Read 983 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gyros/Donner kebobs
« on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:24 PM »
It takes a bit of work, but if you're looking to have a really tasty gyro/donner at home or on the ice, try this recipe

2 lbs ground lamb (or 1 lb lamb, 1 lb 85/15 hamburger, or 2 lbs 85/15 ground beef)
1 onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs black pepper
*** 3/4 oz. salt (salt content needs to be 2 to 2.5 percent by weight)

Mix ground meat, salt, pepper and oregano and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place cold meat mixture in food processor with onion and garlic and process until it forms a smooth puree. Yes, it looks gross, but you need the emulsion effect.

Line a lipped baking sheet with aluminum foil. Wet your hands and form the meat mixture into a loaf 1.5" thick, 6 inches wide and 12-15 inches long. Bake until the center of the loaf reaches 155 degrees, measured with a meat or instant read thermometer. Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes, or store in fridge for up to a week.

When the loaf is cool, slice it into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick strips (like bacon).

To prepare the meat, pan fry slices or place under a broiler until they are well browned. I like 8 slices per serving because that's how many fit on my cast iron skillet. Place strips on a warmed tortilla or pocket bread, add lettuce, onion, tomato, tatziki sauce, feta or whatever else rocks your boat ice shack.

Sauce: 1 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup diced cucumber, 1 tsp dill. Add seasoned salt or hot sauce to taste. In a pinch I use sour cream instead of yogurt.

Two important things: you want the meat mixture to have about 15 to 20 percent fat, and the salt has to be 2 percent by weight. It's kind of like making sausage in this respect. Grind/puree everything COLD! or it will come out mealy rather than a nice consistency.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gyros/Donner kebobs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Thanks, I definitely give that recipe a try.  I bet venison would be pretty good mixed with beef burger.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Good eats generally arent the ones that can be slammed together  ::) ..... Sounds great and worth the time  :)
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2012, 08:58 AM »
That sounds great. I agree with bullpine. Venison would be good.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.