Author Topic: tip-ups for walleyes?  (Read 6474 times)

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
tip-ups for walleyes?
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 01:41 PM »
I've only been walleye fishing during softwater for a couple of years and have had some success, but this year I want to try for them under the ice.  What is the basic set up for walleye when using tip ups?  What kind of bait?  I was considering tying a pimple and hooking a lively minnow as a start, but don't know if this is the right way to do it.  Thanks.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tip-ups for walleyes?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 01:45 PM »
I use a plain red hook and a minnow.

Offline bigbear32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM »
I use either red treble hooks or circle hooks on my tip ups, #8's on either. Your choice of bait should be something of the main forage of your local area. Like in my area we use suckers, shiners, or other various types of minnows.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:00 PM »
This is a copy of a post from a while ago, modified a little.  I'm too poor of a typist to put something new together, hope this helps:

Walleyes are mostly night feeders, the best bites are generally right at dusk and then for a few hours after full dark, reversed in the AM. They are normally right on the bottom or suspended a couple of feet, most times you should set tip-up lines within a foot or two of the bottom and/or jig the lower 4' of the water column. Rocky areas tend to be best, especially points and dropoffs, also the break at a weedline or sand/rock/mud bottom change. Look for an area with small yellow perch, or whatever the local forage is, the walleyes stay close to their favorite chow.

Most days the fish are in 15'-30' or more of water, then they move into as little as 2' after dark. Try to pre-drill all your holes well before dark and don't walk around any more than you have to, walter doesn't like noise. They are also light sensitive at night, don't shine your headlamp down every hole. Put a flashing light like a "lil' shiner" on your tip-ups so you know when you get a flag without the use of a spotlight. Bring beer to help waste away the time so you don't walk around more than necessary, you will be lucky to get a half dozen flags in an evening. If your gonna fish at night, you need a shanty or you'll freeze your butt, your wife will understand and allow you to buy the latest pop-up as  "safety gear".

There are about a million jigs that produce, they tend to work best tipped with a piece of shiner, maybe a head or tail, other guys swear by a fillet. On the tip-ups I like medium shiners, other guys are loyal to the pike sizes. They are sometimes leader shy, I use around 3' long, 10 lb fluoro leaders, with a #4 hook on tip-ups. Light split shot on the tip-up is a must, they will drop the bait if they feel resistance. If you don't like to re-tie your hooks frequently bring a good hook disgorger, when the bite is on they inhale the shiners, no sense killing the little guys.

You may also find good, or better, advice by searching other threads in the Iceshanty. Good luck.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:44 PM »

Bring beer   .... If your gonna fish at night, you need a shanty or you'll freeze your butt, your wife will understand and allow you to buy the latest pop-up as  "safety gear".

Wise beyond his years. LOL ;D

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2012, 12:02 AM »
This is a copy of a post from a while ago, modified a little.  I'm too poor of a typist to put something new together, hope this helps:

Walleyes are mostly night feeders, the best bites are generally right at dusk and then for a few hours after full dark, reversed in the AM. They are normally right on the bottom or suspended a couple of feet, most times you should set tip-up lines within a foot or two of the bottom and/or jig the lower 4' of the water column. Rocky areas tend to be best, especially points and dropoffs, also the break at a weedline or sand/rock/mud bottom change. Look for an area with small yellow perch, or whatever the local forage is, the walleyes stay close to their favorite chow.

Most days the fish are in 15'-30' or more of water, then they move into as little as 2' after dark. Try to pre-drill all your holes well before dark and don't walk around any more than you have to, walter doesn't like noise. They are also light sensitive at night, don't shine your headlamp down every hole. Put a flashing light like a "lil' shiner" on your tip-ups so you know when you get a flag without the use of a spotlight. Bring beer to help waste away the time so you don't walk around more than necessary, you will be lucky to get a half dozen flags in an evening. If your gonna fish at night, you need a shanty or you'll freeze your butt, your wife will understand and allow you to buy the latest pop-up as  "safety gear".

There are about a million jigs that produce, they tend to work best tipped with a piece of shiner, maybe a head or tail, other guys swear by a fillet. On the tip-ups I like medium shiners, other guys are loyal to the pike sizes. They are sometimes leader shy, I use around 3' long, 10 lb fluoro leaders, with a #4 hook on tip-ups. Light split shot on the tip-up is a must, they will drop the bait if they feel resistance. If you don't like to re-tie your hooks frequently bring a good hook disgorger, when the bite is on they inhale the shiners, no sense killing the little guys.

You may also find good, or better, advice by searching other threads in the Iceshanty. Good luck.
thanks
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2012, 01:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully we'll get some ice here in central indiana so I can put these tips to use.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2012, 06:02 AM »
20 to 30 lb tip up line.  a good swivel. 4 feet of 10lb power pro. size 14 treble hook, put some small beads and a small blade above the hook. Set from almost on bottom to 6 inches up. Large fat head minnows small roaches. Most importantly be on a walleye lake.  ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:11 AM »

Eiderz.....well, well said.  GREAT advise all the way through.  I love the part about pre-drilling holes...smart.  Eyes are not an easy catch, but with the advise you gave (tutorial) it should give the novice a big head start.  This is why "iceshanty" members and the ice fishing community are the best....good people.  Stay safe.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Glad you guys liked the post. I have only been icefishing for walter for a few years but I go every night after work so I get a lot of on-ice time.

Not sure if it was real clear, but in the lakes I have icefished for walleyes the fish come into shallow water at night. The key is to find where the fish are during the day, even if you can't catch them in daylight. They are very structure oriented and will many times move against the closest sharp drop/rise in bottom contour of only 3-5' in roughly 12-20' of water (maybe more, maybe less, it depends on your lake) and hang there for a while as daylight wanes. The predrilling allows you to fish that dropoff during daylight/twilight, then move the tipups in close about an hour after sundown. We set tipups in 2' of water, the inside line of tipups is set where you can touch bottom with the auger, the outside row at about 5' of water. If you have a good spot you will have a flurry at sundown in the deeper water, then it will slack off. Move the tipups in to the really shallow water as soon as the bite slacks off, but no later than an hour after sundown unless the bite stays hot!

I can't stress enough how spooky the fish are in shallow water, it's like hunting-we keep the shanty at least 50', preferably more from the nearest tipup. If possible, put the shanty on shore to avoid creepers on the ice. Lights and creepers are a big no-no, except to tend the tipups of course.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Glad you guys liked the post. I have only been icefishing for walter for a few years but I go every night after work so I get a lot of on-ice time.

Not sure if it was real clear, but in the lakes I have icefished for walleyes the fish come into shallow water at night. The key is to find where the fish are during the day, even if you can't catch them in daylight. They are very structure oriented and will many times move against the closest sharp drop/rise in bottom contour of only 3-5' in roughly 12-20' of water (maybe more, maybe less, it depends on your lake) and hang there for a while as daylight wanes. The predrilling allows you to fish that dropoff during daylight/twilight, then move the tipups in close about an hour after sundown. We set tipups in 2' of water, the inside line of tipups is set where you can touch bottom with the auger, the outside row at about 5' of water. If you have a good spot you will have a flurry at sundown in the deeper water, then it will slack off. Move the tipups in to the really shallow water as soon as the bite slacks off, but no later than an hour after sundown unless the bite stays hot!

I can't stress enough how spooky the fish are in shallow water, it's like hunting-we keep the shanty at least 50', preferably more from the nearest tipup. If possible, put the shanty on shore to avoid creepers on the ice. Lights and creepers are a big no-no, except to tend the tipups of course.

so i take it that you recomend NO on the ice light at all? 

red headlamp good?

i love it for the just after dark bite of the crappies in 1 pond i fish early season.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:47 AM »
You definitely need a light, we use headlamps but try to keep them off until at a tipup with a fish on, or for emergencies like a broken flip top on a beer. I don't have a red lamp but it might be just the ticket. The point I was trying to make is that there eyes are so light sensitive that, with clear ice, they can definitely see a flashlight shining over the ice. As I mentioned before, if possible keep your shanty off the ice when fishing the really shallow water and you can avoid the noise and light problems.

When I first started targeting walter at night other guys told me about their skittishness. The way I confirmed their light and noise sensitivity is from the way the fish run when you get a flag. I like the Polar style tipups when the snow isn't deep because you can see the "T" on top spin. By experimenting with approaching the tipup very quietly and in the dark I noticed a marked difference in how the fish move off slowly vs. a band of googans running to the tipup with lights blazing generally resulting in a wildly spinning "T". My friends and I also enjoyed a definite increase in the number of fish we caught once we went to the signal lights vs. shining the flags with a flashlight.

On the other hand, I can't say that you won't catch any if you don't pay attention to the noise and light you generate. I've seen other guys party hard late into the night and pick up fish, so who knows?

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Fantastic advice!! I have been trying to catch walleye myself. We don't have a great fishery but have some around. Thanks

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline mcdowellwj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Its hard to find straight up info on eyes. I have been a trout fisherman all my life its been hard to figure out.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:43 AM »
Hope you guys have some luck with walter, once you figure them out on your lake they can be caught reasonably consistently. We just need some good ice now to get after them! Who's gonna be the first to report back, with pictures?  :)  Looking forward to hearing how the techniques we use work for you guys.  :tipup:

Offline ice_engineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We are not allowed to us a treble on its own here in MN (you are allowed to use trebles if its part of a jig like a rapala).  If I am reading this thread right, if I am catching perch, I am in the right area for Walter and his buddies?  One other question, the lake I have been fishing is starting to see quite a bit of snowmobile traffic, will this turn walleye off as well?

Again thanks for the info!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We are not allowed to us a treble on its own here in MN (you are allowed to use trebles if its part of a jig like a rapala).  If I am reading this thread right, if I am catching perch, I am in the right area for Walter and his buddies?  One other question, the lake I have been fishing is starting to see quite a bit of snowmobile traffic, will this turn walleye off as well?

I think one of the guys who posted above said he uses trebles, it's common around here but I use a single hook. I typically use #4 "J" hooks (can't get used to the circles), the #4 matches the size bait I use which is medium shiners, 2.5-3". You would need to adjust hook size to match your bait if it is a different size. I hook them through the back, just in front of the dorsal fin. The hook needs to hold them firmly so as not to reverse on itself and bury the point in the bait, but leave enough gap to nail walter.

As to the perch, yes, generally an area that holds yellow perch, especially dinks, will be attractive to walleye since yellow perch are a key forage for them in most lakes. You may note that it is uncommon to catch a bunch of yellow perch out of a hole where you are catching walleye at the same time, when walter shows up the yellows take off.  As you undoubtedly know, there are always exceptions, one being a lake full of alewives. Some lakes we fish have both alewives and yellow perch, the walleye may be feeding on the alewives and be very picky. I have no magic bullet in such a situation, except to suggest that the walleye will be suspended near the depth where the alewives are.

Something I have been reading about the last two years is the rubber band trick, note the thread in this forum. I am intrigued by it and will give it a try this year, it appears we will have good ice this weekend.  :tipup: In the past we have let the fish run, they tend to move off a few feet whe the flag trips, then swim away at a steady pace a minute or two later, then we set the hook. Perhaps using the rubber band will hook them immediately, time to give it a try!

I'm not sure how much sled traffic you mean by quite a bit, but if there's nothing you can do about it, party on. As I mentioned before, I have seen guys party and make noise like mardi gras and catch fish, so the best you can do is stay as far away from the sled path as possible. It's also possible that the fish in your lake hear so much noise that they get used to it, the other choice is don't eat.

Edit: Just wanted to say be careful out there! I know some of you lucky folks are on a couple feet of ice, but the east coast is still thin. Several grim reports already this year. Happy New Year  to everyone and stay safe!

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Do you use tip-ups for walleyes here in west pa.? If you do how well do you do? I got good chubs and was looking to get the most out of the trips we get.

Offline camo1013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:55 AM »
got one on tip up at jamestown other day only bout 10 inches but whatever.chubs probly would do better ,i had fatheads

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:01 AM »
i been babying them since just after bow season. set more traps this morning so will get some more 2-3 inchers ans smalls. I sure hope the cold they say is going to hit and sit

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:08 AM »
how many trapped bait are you allowed in your possession. it use to be 50.  any thing over was a lot of money. they use tipups for everything.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:17 AM »
I think it is 50 per container. unless you have a recpt I was looking to get wholesale bait for smalls but did not see all that much on google last night.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:15 PM »
are we sure that it is not total of 50. 5 containers with 10 in each one is 50.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Everybody I know, myself included, puts a 6 foot leader of mono line on their tip-ups when going for walleye. Don't know if it makes a difference or not but I always do it.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:44 PM »
I dont have 50 anyway only 48 in the cooler 2 just died.

Offline crstybucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:58 PM »
suckers or shiners should work better than fatheads, if you can find them.  ran into some guys fishing pymatuning  2 years ago (no fishing last year) who swore by creek chubs caught in the tributaries of pyme.  said they caught a lot of walleyes.  they didn't have any when i talked to them, tho....

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:01 PM »
In the eastern and central Pa lakes I catch walleye on tipups on a regualr basis. A jig tipped with a fathead does the trick. Best to not have tipups that take a lot of pressure to trip.

Offline camo1013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:41 PM »
do ok with tipups with shiners, do better somtimes with sonars,but cant ever get on em like i do in open water ,they elude me alot on the ice.i to use mono leaders. i think it helps in some waters.pymy is dirty alot .

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:10 PM »
i DO THIS IN NUMBERS ALL SPRING ON A LAKE i FISH. tRYING TO DO IT ON THE ICE A FEW TIMES. TIP UPS AND DARTERS EVEN JIG A BIG CREEK CHUB

Offline icefishermik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 AM »
just caught one yesterday on a tip-up. 16 lb flourocarbon leader, medium shiner, one foot or less off the bottom in 10 -12 fow. I really like the flourocarbon leader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.