Author Topic: poppin out perch eyes  (Read 61658 times)

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: poppin out perch eyes
« Reply #90 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:44 PM »
do the eyes work better than other baits or just used as a bait to catch a few that are willing to bite

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #91 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Thumb always worked good for me!!!! :tipup:

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:27 PM »
i was wondering if anyone had a picture of the lead depthfinder with perch eye removal tool on other end? I want to see waht it looks like thanks?

anyone know if you can use perch eyes in Minnesota legally?

i just use the hook im useing.stick it in there pull it out works fine and gets the juices going

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #93 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Thumb always worked good for me!!!! :tipup:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this earlier in this thread, but when doing it with the thumb, it is much easier when you stick your index finger in perch's mouth and press on the back side of the eye to cause it to bulge out of it's socket. Slip thumb nail behind eye and it'll pop out.
But before doing this, be kind and euthanize the perch first by whacking it's head with a skimmer handle or the like.
Hey, I'm an expert at this and I got the handle to prove it  ;)2
The tug is the drug.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I made several 'perch-eye removers' using parts from binder clips and 1/2" dowel. I hone them out using a rotary tool, although not absolutely necessary. It provides some extra-easy slicing action for removing eyes slick and quick ... nice in extreme cold. This unit I painted bright fluorescent so it's easy to find in the snow/ice or anywhere else for that matter. And it floats!

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #95 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I like the thumb method because you can cut off all of the connecting tissue between the eye and the socket with your thumbnail.  its nice to get a clean removal so the eye keeps its shape when you hook it. 

perch eye on a swedish pimple can't be beat at a couple places I fish.  one problem: pike inhale the whole rig and slice it off.  I hate fishing for pan fish with a leader, but if I'm using my last pimple I have to do it.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:58 AM »
I use the hook on my jig pop the eye out and then hook it in the hard part of the eye works great!

Offline Flames Fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:08 PM »
I use a small spoon to scoop them out mess free.  And if planing on freezing them I put them into an old film canister and fill with water before freezing, no freezer burn and they stay way fresher than if no water is used.

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Feb 27, 2009, 10:01 PM »
For those of you still unclear about the thumb technique, I just push down on the cheek with my thumb very firmly to get the eye to bulge, then slide my thumb towards the eye so that the thumbnail catches under the protruding eye.  Keep the downward pressure and peel the eye out.  I suffer an occasional blowout, but can get most of them. 

I collect eyes during the filleting process into a prescription pill bottle and freeze them.  When I head out for the next trip I just put some water in the bottle and replace the cap.  I put the bottle in my shirt pocket, and when I arrive to fish the eyes are thawed, plump, and ready.  Just pour off the water and you are good to go.

If you have had an eye on for a while (they are very tough), check it for color.  They will turn white over time, and it is time to freshen up. 

I hook my eyes though the silver portion, essentially side to side, to keep the external eye visible.   

Offline patterc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 28, 2009, 05:26 PM »
The fingernail file on a pair of nail clippers works good and you have the clippers for your line.

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #100 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:16 PM »
the thumb works good :tipup:

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:18 PM »
the finger is all u need.with a Lil pressure with both thumbs on around the eye socket it will pop right out.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I use the thumb method but you have to get underneath it or the eye ruptures leaving you a black gooey mess.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:31 PM »
I know some hard core guys around here that keep the perch eyes tucked under their lips so they don't freeze... now that's dedication... i guess

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:49 AM »
I know some hard core guys around here that keep the perch eyes tucked under their lips so they don't freeze... now that's dedication... i guess

A bait puck works for me...Don't wanna taint my beer.
;

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I always tell the city guys to turn the perch on its back.  On the bottom you will see a red little vent.  Hold it up to your lips and blow as hard as you can.  Both eyes will pop out.  If only one pops out hold your finger over the empty socket and blow harder then you did the first time.  After the eyes are out you can still blow on the vent for an emergency whistle.  :o ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hook them Lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I bug them out with my thumb and then slice behind the eye with a fillet knife.  Then the juices stay in
donwoudoorsdotcom

Offline finzandpigskinz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:28 PM »
put your pointer finger in the mouth and use it for leverage then squeeze below the eye so it pops out a little and dig your thumb underneath and follow through with a smooth flicking motion.  Make sure you point you thumb to the sky on follow through.... ;D ;D ;)  works everytime...  look on the back of the eye and find a hole were the retina attached and put your hook through there and up through the top of the fleshy part of the eye.  it should be danglin nicely looking at his brothers and sisters down there...wierd.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.