The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This Years Bait Trapping Thread  (Read 41632 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This Years Bait Trapping Thread
« Reply #300 on: Oct 01, 2014, 06:26 AM »
I have a brook that runs right by my house and I have thought of doing this a few times.  What's your setup for keeping them in the water look like?

Mine's real simple. I drilled a gazillion 1/8" holes in a five-gallon bucket. I secured an old horseshoe in the bottom of it for weight, if you don't secure the weight it may roll around and kill bait. Just put the cover on, tie it to a rope and put 'er in the brook. There's a slight current where I keep mine and it seldom freezes over.

Never been bothered by thievery but your mileage may vary.

Offline Maineiac1833

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #301 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:36 AM »
I started to trap a couple of weeks ago and already had some scrote steal all of the contents in two of my traps. I don't understand how people turn into such scumbags that they can't go trap their own bait, it's not that difficult. Having good ethics is a thing of the past. I guess I will just have to start booby trapping for scrotes and thieves.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #302 on: Oct 03, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I started to trap a couple of weeks ago and already had some scrote steal all of the contents in two of my traps. I don't understand how people turn into such scumbags that they can't go trap their own bait, it's not that difficult. Having good ethics is a thing of the past. I guess I will just have to start booby trapping for scrotes and thieves.

Maybe you hadn't caught any bait in the traps? :-\

Offline Maineiac1833

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #303 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Oh it's clear that someone had tampered with them when there wasn't even a crumb of dog food or bread left in either trap after a 12 hour soak. I have never ever had absolutely nothing left in my trap after a soak even if it has sat for a day or two and is full of bait.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #304 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Well, I dropped 3 traps in this morning...really can't wait to go check them!!!  :tipup:
I fish.                                                         

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #305 on: Oct 20, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I pulled about 5 dozen shiners last week and planning on dropping a cloverleaf trap tomorrow for a day long soak.
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #306 on: Oct 20, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I pulled about 5 dozen shiners last week and planning on dropping a cloverleaf trap tomorrow for a day long soak.

Nice start, I also got about 5 dozen with my first haul. @)
I fish.                                                         

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #307 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:03 PM »
i got a 10 doz. mix of red belly dace, fatheads and banded killifish. a lot in the 3in. range which is big for this bait. can't wait for early ice and chasing the warm water species. they love the dace! esp. crappie and white perch. early trout will take them too. i have a similar tank set up to what marcel has at dags. i have a pond heater that turns on at 35f, off at 40f so my tank dosent freeze.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #308 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Nice start, I also got about 5 dozen with my first haul. @)

Liam did you pull them out of the same spot . did you get any of those weird ones I think you know what I mean

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #309 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 AM »
I really want to trap again this year but I have been burned the last couple years (my fault of course) and lost a bunch of bait.  I wish I could just spend the money and get the filters and everything I need to do it right.

Offline troutaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #310 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Started trapping bait few weekends ago. Have made 3 sets over the the past few weekends. Got about 1500 in one of the tanks already. At this rate few more time out and I'll be set for winter
Always catching

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:19 PM »
I'm ready for the season to start, but I've not had any luck in the past trapping bait until ice was forming. Maybe I'll get bored and set a couple traps this weekend.

Offline forest_parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #312 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Been thinking of setting up a new bigger tent, anyone have and concerns with using one of those blue, plastic swimming pools little kids use? I was thinking of just putting it in my basement which is always pretty cold.

Offline PINSMELT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Oct 28, 2014, 05:10 AM »
I'm catching a ton of creek chubs in my traps, anyone have good luck with these? there all different sizes. Bigger ones I'm going to use for Northern's. anyone have good luck with the smaller ones for trout? 

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #314 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Month of November is a great time to trap bait no ice.. What I do is suspend  bait traps with 2 liter soda bottles and tie on a large nut for a weight so the trap stays put.  Throw it out in the pond and tie them to a tree. you can set the desired depth.  Works well.  One 2 liter bottle will suspend a regular bait trap.
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Oct 28, 2014, 11:32 AM »
I'm catching a ton of creek chubs in my traps, anyone have good luck with these? there all different sizes. Bigger ones I'm going to use for Northern's. anyone have good luck with the smaller ones for trout?
works better than shiners in my opinion.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Oct 28, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Threw 2 traps in a brook yesterday and today find one is caught on a log. Water is 4-5
feet deep so may be lost if I can't get it with waders.

Offline PINSMELT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #317 on: Oct 28, 2014, 02:56 PM »
works better than shiners in my opinion.

Great. thank you :tipup: :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #318 on: Oct 28, 2014, 04:18 PM »
creek chubs work great but I find they are a little harder to keep than shiners. Are you sure they're not dace? Small dace are great brookie bait. I like the large ones for pike.

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #319 on: Oct 28, 2014, 05:46 PM »
creek chubs work great but I find they are a little harder to keep than shiners. Are you sure they're not dace? Small dace are great brookie bait. I like the large ones for pike.
I agree dace are great for brookies..... the largest dace I get are maybe 3 inches, how large have you found them?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #320 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I agree dace are great for brookies..... the largest dace I get are maybe 3 inches, how large have you found them?
I like dace around 2" for brookies. I get dace up to 6" out of my bait pond.

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Nice I didnt realize they reached that size

Offline PINSMELT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #322 on: Oct 29, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Yep they are def. creek chubs. I'm getting some random shiners in the mix but so far at everyplace I put traps in i'm getting tons of creek chubs.  Have maybe 50 dozen so far, glad I upgraded my bait tank filtration.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:33 AM »
threw 3 traps out a couple of weeks ago in a not well known stream behind our house that runs into a well known lake. Safe because it is not seen from the road and not a lot of people live around so went out for the afternoon turkey hunt and figured what the heck? Well later that evening we were working on the new ice shack and realized I forgot my gerber multi tool out at the stream so I ran out to get it and said heck ill check the traps(even thought they had only been out for about 4 hours). I was surprised when i walked out there and saw the traps moving! i pulled all 3 traps not a single shiner but about 40 small brookies in the 3 traps. Released all of them and pulled the traps instantly. I was completely shock because the stream isn't very deep or didn't think the stream could sustain that many brookies in such a small section. Hopefully in the next couple weeks i will find a good shiner spot.
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #324 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Might want to check the regs JFTH, most streams are closed to bait trapping right now. I know I had to get a special permit to trap local streams around Buxton. Getting permission was easy I just called the wardens and they sent me a letter of consent for the 3 streams I wanted to target, but they did warn me about catching brookies, and said to release them at once, so sounds like you did the right thing. For what it's worth, the streams never gave up any shiners, and I have since found that the small "fire ponds" along side the roads usually produce much better. Good luck!
I fish.                                                         

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #325 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:22 AM »
watch out for the fire ponds in Buxton there's alot of trap stealers out there use  either camo rope or white when we have snow

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #326 on: Nov 17, 2014, 06:13 PM »
watch out for the fire ponds in Buxton there's alot of trap stealers out there use  either camo rope or white when we have snow

Not as many since a bait shop closed.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #327 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:49 AM »
6in. dace! those are some big ones! biggest i get is 3-4in. the killifish will get 5-6in . tho.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #328 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:01 AM »
6in. dace! those are some big ones! biggest i get is 3-4in. the killifish will get 5-6in . tho.
haha yeah monsters! Awesome pike bait.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #329 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:01 AM »
I use mackerel for big touge.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.