The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This Years Bait Trapping Thread  (Read 41631 times)

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
This Years Bait Trapping Thread
« on: Nov 22, 2012, 06:08 PM »
There has been a lot of talk about the homemade clover leafs this year, I can say that mine work very well. If anyone is considering building one, follow all of the tips on here, such as: Use 1/4" mesh and use 4 times the suggested amount of zip ties. I trapped for a few days earlier in the week and had great results using cheese balls as bait. Caught about 5 dozen "keepers" each day, here are some pics:

First built trap, came out well, ended up doubling the amount of zip ties: 

Some of the first day's catch:

Quality bait:

Second days Catch:

Happy Trapping!

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: This Years Bait Trapping Thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2012, 06:21 PM »
I've caught about 20 dozen shiners in two days using an average two entrance minnow trap. I use only one trap (my only trap)

Offline mainefisherman4992

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:12 PM »
i know of a spot that i can trap dace but is it worth the effort to get them to use for bait?

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 PM »
i know of a spot that i can trap dace but is it worth the effort to get them to use for bait?

Yes

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:53 PM »

smaller ones are great for brook trout

catch pike like its my job

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:59 AM »
smaller ones are great for brook trout
I did quite well on togue all last season as well.... last year i used dace and shiners with same success
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:39 PM »
water filter? Do u need one or does anyone use one?

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:25 PM »
water filter? Do u need one or does anyone use one?

With 20 dozen bait already, you should consider a filter.

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:21 PM »
if you dont use a filter id consider changeing the water every 3-4 days

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Just go to wally world get the largest aquarium filter you can add to the pick up line by pushing a 1/2 inch piece of pvc over it. Fits perfect.  I took mine to the bottom of my tank then zip tied some screen around it to prevent fish from being sucked up.  works great and is cheap.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:31 PM »

You can kinda see mine in this picture I use to have a small section of hose attached to the pick up line, I wanted to be able to pick up water from the bottom so I added a 1/2 inch piece of pvc pipe like I said above.  I would like to add a "t" and pick up from two areas.  I also modified it by adding a piece of pine notched out to fit across the barrel real tight.  I then screwed the pine to the barrel which was percarious to say the least.  I like the new addition it allows me to attach my clamp on light close to the filter to keep from freezing. 

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I decided to jump on the bandwagon this year.  No garage to put it in, so I have a 100 gallon tub outside where the sun will hit it.  Gonna cover it and put a pond pump in it and see what happens.  Set out two traps today.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:46 PM »
I decided to jump on the bandwagon this year.  No garage to put it in, so I have a 100 gallon tub outside where the sun will hit it.  Gonna cover it and put a pond pump in it and see what happens.  Set out two traps today.

Careful its addicting! 

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2012, 06:46 AM »
yes. I mainly just trap dace with some shiners mixed in. They work just as well as shiners if not better. I've caught brookies, togue, and just about every warm water species on them.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:25 AM »

I tried to keep mine in an unheated garage a couple years back. I had a double-barrel setup with good flow. It froze up and I had to transfer half the setup to my basement. I hope your solar heat gets the job done. Good luck man! :)
I fish.                                                         

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:44 AM »

Its going to freeze solid without an additional heat source, just like any other bucket left outside. Cheap aquarium heaters aren't designed to shut off below 65*, but if you install a small one, around 25w, it will be severely underpowered and will only raise the temp a few degrees. It won't keep the whole barrel free from ice, but it will keep a portion of the barrel liquefied. Be warned if the heater doesn't burn up after a few months, there is a high chance that the extreme cold and turbulent waters of the barrel will make the small heater blow up in the dead of winter. If this does happen you might have to step up to a heater around the 250w range for a 100 gallons. It costs me $100s of dollars a month in electricity to keep my bait alive. I try to underpower my devices wherever I can, which is why I suggest startting off with a heater in the 50w range.

-Dylan

Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Ever tried that pond where you work?

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:24 PM »
if you could build a tight box around it and over insulate it, put a work light with a 75watt bulb almost touching the water, you might be able to make it work. Otherwise  I think it will freeze solid to.  If you get a heater, go to tractor supply and get one for animals. Aquarium heaters are for indoors. @)
How they biten

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:31 PM »
The bird bath heaters might work . I have a tank in an unheated garage .  its covered and a light under the cover keeps it just right . I even have to prop the cover open a little to keep it from getting to warm .  a floating thermometer to watch the temp . keep it around 35-45

Offline hardwater12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:45 PM »
I am somewhat new to trapping and believe that what I caught today is a blacknose dace, just curious if they work as well as shiners or or if i should find another place to trap?

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2012, 06:48 PM »
@captmorgan- the pond at work is full of minnows.  small but you can't kill em and they work great- just gonna try to get some bigger stuff too
I have animals and have stock heaters in the troughs work well and I'll go that route if I have to, but they aren't real cheap to run.  Just a trial run this winter, maybe by next winter I'll have a big barn all built, and they can go right in there

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Josh if you can get your hands on a used FREE chest freezer that would help insulate it from freezing. 

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:58 PM »
The bird bath heaters might work . I have a tank in an unheated garage .  its covered and a light under the cover keeps it just right . I even have to prop the cover open a little to keep it from getting to warm .  a floating thermometer to watch the temp . keep it around 35-45

Do you keep your light going all day and all night to keep it at that temp?

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:01 PM »
I keep my light on 24/7

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I keep my light on 24/7

Is that a 75 watt bulb?

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Do you keep your light going all day and all night to keep it at that temp?

If its like 20 deg out it need to stay on .  I just watch the thermometer and adjust as needed . Open the top a bit to cool it or turn the light off .

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:13 PM »
I use a 100watt heavy duty.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 AM »
I use a 100watt heavy duty.

I start out with a 60 watt bulb, but have not had to use it yet..   Than go to a 75 watt in january and I only turn it on at night..
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:19 AM »
go to the dump and get a small chest freezer mine doesn't freeze its in a portable garage i actually have to turn the freezer on with a timer this time of year it gets to warm,(southern exposier)

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 AM »
i went out this morning and set a trap at a new spot 10 minutes from the house i saw some minnows criuseing the shore line im going to go haul it on a 7 hour set i used dog food and bread  for bait cant wait to go haul it and see if the results are good ill post what i get btw its a black frabil trap so i hope it works alright

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.