Author Topic: Jambalaya  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
Jambalaya
« on: Nov 22, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Another one to make first and pack in. Will work great for those Buddy heater chefs out there!.  :)

Grab a medium chicken (whole) from the grocery store plus these other items...
Large Red Onion
Large orange Bell Pepper
Clove of Garlic
Small bag of good quality rice
Cajun Seasoning
1 Package of Polish smoked sausage
1# bag of uncooked shrimp (optional)
Olive oil
2 cans chicken broth
chicken bullion cubes
Beer

Start by adding 1/8th cup of oil to a 8 - 10 qt. pot and then start parting out the chicken. remove skin and leave bones in the legs and wings to add flavor. Chop the breast up into 2" pieces and discard the rest or use it for soup.
Cut up the sausage in 1" pieces and finely shop up the garlic. Add all of this to the pot and turn the heat to high.

Now chop up the pepper in pieces that are around 1 1/2" square and do likewise with the onion. Add these two to the pot and stir. the heat should be up by this time and you will need to stir everything well. Now add the cajun spice.
(I use about 2 tablespoons to start and then finish adding whatever I need after adding the rice.)

After 5 minutes, add the chicken broth and 2 bullion cubes and stir it all up good. keep on high heat.

When the mix starts to boil, add 2 cups rice and two cans of beer.
 (or 2 cups of water.... whatever you like)

Bring to a slow boil while stirring at all times and then drop the heat down (while still stirring) to medium high. This will take 20 minutes but honestly it never seems like it since the smells are awesome and I am only thinking of eating by this time.  ;D

About 10 minutes after adding the rice, you can add in the shrimp (shelled) if you are going to go this route.

Honestly, this is a concoction that will last a week in the fridge but doesn't get better (or worse) when giving it that time to rest. It re-heats fabulously and is a big hit with everyone.....kids included if you dont over do the spices  ;)

Variation that is very good would have you buying 4 plum tomatoes and adding those (chopped) into the mix at the same point where you would add the shrimp

This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jambalaya
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:00 PM »
yum

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Jambalaya
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:26 AM »
love jambalaya......a can of those smoked oysters goes good in there too......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.