Author Topic: Eskimo Ice anchor tool  (Read 16843 times)

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Ice anchor tool
« on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 AM »
So..there doesnt seem to be a tool for Eskimo ice anchors and I know they dont work in the Clam anchor tool. I found this unacceptable. I decided to fabricate one.  I used an old propane weed burner end, cut a couple slots in it, welded a spark plug sock to the end, dipped it in that rubber stuff for tools (plasti-dip) and waalaah...It can be screwed in using a speed wrench (3/8" drive) or I am using the crank for leveling jacks on my camper. depending on the socket that you use. I havent tried it in ice yet but it works in a block of wood and I am confident it will work fine in ice. With an adapter...it can be used with a cordless drill.
I have made 4 of these.....yes...I have 3 friends..lol and they tell me I should patent this idea but I just wanted a tool to save my wrists from screwing these anchors into the ice.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/IMAG0721.jpg
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/IMAG0722.jpg

Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo Ice anchor tool
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Very nice, I like it. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fastrpms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:58 AM »
I like it! I've been using an old cordless drill to predrill my holes.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Good idea! Thanks! I'm getting on one today.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:20 AM »
I cut a slot in a 7/8"deep socket, 3/8" drive.  And use a speed wrench.  A cordless drill driver would work too.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Are the eskimo anchors a larger diameter rod? I am looking for a tool to drive me eskimo anchors. But rather than take a cordless drill, I might look around for an old hand drill. Someone else on these forums was using the crank from their camper jacks to drive their anchors.

T
 I
L__
     I
     I
 __I
I
I
I
V
jbird68

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Uggh.  Is there a banging your head against the wall emotie someplace?
Chris Raymond

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Great idea! I am surprised eskimo doesn't have one yet. But if you need one and can build it go for it!
Fish on!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Uggh.  Is there a banging your head against the wall emotie someplace?
Here ya go.  ;D ;D 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:47 AM »
I've been thinking this over for awhile. Been looking for a steel cup of some sort to cut a slot, run a bolt through to use as a cordless drill bit. I think I'm going to try a PVC pipe cap. Cut the slots, run a bolt through the center and slip it into the drill chuck. It should be able to take the torque of drilling ice.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:58 AM »
I've been thinking this over for awhile. Been looking for a steel cup of some sort to cut a slot, run a bolt through to use as a cordless drill bit. I think I'm going to try a PVC pipe cap. Cut the slots, run a bolt through the center and slip it into the drill chuck. It should be able to take the torque of drilling ice.
Mike

I think the PVC would break under torque.
<===Lefty===

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Here ya go.  ;D ;D  (Image removed from quote.)

Thank you.  Now I just have to figure out how to use it without it coming across too snarky.  ;-) 
Chris Raymond

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 AM »
Thank you.  Now I just have to figure out how to use it without it coming across too snarky.  ;-)
Dang, if I had to worry about being too snarky, I'd never get to post anything!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I think the PVC would break under torque.

I'll let you know. It should be quick and easy to make. Then I have to wait for ICE!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I use my drill and a masonry drill bit of the same diameter of my ice anchors. Drill the hole and jam the anchor in. Takes a lot less battery and they are easy to get out
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2012, 10:31 AM »
My Eskimo anchors go in so easy I have never thought about using a tool.

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 AM »
lol I agree Ice Dawg..the Eskimo anchors do start good and go in pretty good...my wrists just remind me Im getting old! lol
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:32 PM »
I think the secret is to hang out with a few younger people and let them turn em in. lol

Trooper Bri

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I like the offset handle, didn't think of that. There's a Harbor Freight one town over.

When I bought my Frabill hub it came with the same handle type screws. They suck turning by hand. I ditched them in favor of lag bolts which we'll shoot straight in the ice with a cordless, and stainless fender washers & s-hooks. Now I don't have to buy or make a slotted hub or socket, and people walking around the shack aren't going to trip over the handle. The yellow rope is so people don't trip over that too.
May even try Timberlok fasteners since they have a nice, thin shank. May cause less ice popping than lag bolts.

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Run an old hole saw against a rock or concrete to dull it then cut a slot in it works great
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Run an old hole saw against a rock or concrete to dull it then cut a slot in it works great

Great idea, I just happen to have an old hole saw.
<===Lefty===

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2012, 10:10 AM »
thats a good idea adksguy!  I have several hole saws...but they are all in good shape... I found the weed burner ends in the metal dumpster at work. now I will keep my eyes open for holes saws that they throw away

Offline jake1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:49 PM »
I got an Eskimo hub shanty this year and experience alot of wind so I have to anchor the 4 corners and 4 sides.  My wrists got tired doing so.  I also fish on a reservoir that does not allow gasoline so I use an 18v cordless on my auger.  I thought I had an original idea with the anchor tool until I got on here.  I used a 4" exhaust clamp (the housing side, not the u-bolt side) and put a 3/8 carriage bolt through the center to fit into the drill.  Then I put in some bolts in the side holes with washers at the tops so the sides are blocked.  This keeps the anchor centered in the tool as you drill them in.  I can put 8 anchors in the ice in about 90 seconds now and the anchors center themselves in the tool!

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/p295_4_inch_hd_steel_exhaust_clamp.html

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I used a 4" exhaust clamp (the housing side, not the u-bolt side) and put a 3/8 carriage bolt through the center to fit into the drill.  Then I put in some bolts in the side holes with washers at the tops so the sides are blocked.  This keeps the anchor centered in the tool as you drill them in.  I can put 8 anchors in the ice in about 90 seconds now and the anchors center themselves in the tool!

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/p295_4_inch_hd_steel_exhaust_clamp.html

Got any pics?

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

Offline jake1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Can't figure out how to  get it on here with a phone...

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2014, 01:52 AM »
Jake, you can't post photos on here.
Get a free account at a photo-posting-site. Like PhotoBucket. 
Grab the "img" code only and post that here.    ;)2

Offline jake1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Gator and Lynn,,,I am working on the photo site.  will post soon.  Got a lot of interest.  Hope I'm not giving away a million dollar patent!  This site has been good to me so he ya go y'all.  took me about 2lbs of shop junk and 10 minutes to make.  I better not see one of these for sale.

Offline jake1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2014, 11:09 PM »

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Thanks.

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.