Author Topic: Ice shack/shelter/shanty heaters  (Read 8030 times)

Offline rrobillard

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shack/shelter/shanty heaters
« on: Nov 09, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Wondering what everyone uses for a portable heater, everyone seems to be using a Sunflower heater, anyone who where a guy could buy one of those? :tipup:

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice shack/shelter/shanty heaters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2012, 01:26 PM »
I use a sunflower myself. In Saskatoon you can get them at Princess Auto, Cabela's, Peavy Mart, Wholesale, and I am sure there are more places that sell them as well.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2012, 02:31 PM »
If you have a costco card head there, I picked up a dual sunflower heater that mounts to the top of the tank for $60 last winter. If its warm you can just use one of the sunflowers and them cold days the dual sunflowers heated up my 6x12 portable to t-shirt warm in a matter of minutes. Oh and princess auto and peavy mart have the same heaters but they wanted $100 and $120 for the same heater!

Offline pickle84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:27 PM »
i got my double sunflower at costco last year for the price of a single everywhere else but pevay mart and princess auto have them I think can tire coop and home hardware aswell
You to can be like Jesus and walk on water ICE FISH!!!!

You will never know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks!

Offline mytiburon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I use a Mr Heater Buddy Heater, May upgrade to the big Buddy sometime, they are awesome!

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Got a big buddy heater this year after doing a derby with a buddy who had one.he hada big 8 man hub style and on low we had doors open. I also picked up a couple 5# cylinders should work great!!!

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2012, 12:08 AM »
I have a 6 man Clam pop-up shelter. Put the Big Buddy heater in there and the fan on the roof. Was -25 with the wind and my jacket and mitts were off, until I had to go check the tip up   ;D

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2012, 12:34 AM »
i run a buddy heater on the low setting in my 4man hub its not tropical in there but i like to keep my jacket on.

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2012, 09:42 AM »
And consider getting one you can cook on, friend has one with stand thing and we use hose adapter (not best at -40) this way tank stays outside giving more room in hub style. Get what You pay for, mine has all the tip over protection and is a pain when ever moving it. 

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I use a buddy heater in in a 2 man clam. Lots of heat. Only run on low and usually shut it off periodically to cool things down. a bit. They work well.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2012, 11:45 AM »
i use Big Buddy connected to a 20lbs propane tank in a two man Clam shelter.  its way overkill but my dad gets cold fast and if you get enough ventilation it wont sweat inside too bad.  i would post a pic of my Big Buddy and propane tank but i am on my Xbox 360 lol!

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline cold foot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:12 AM »
I have a Club propane heater that has an oven in it and the top is like a stove all in one . Has anyone else seen one of the it is old. I will take a pic later and post it
 ;)

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I use the Mr. Buddy Cabinet heater in my 12X8.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578251_200578251

Offline yirawallygator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2012, 06:48 AM »
how long does a 20 pounder last with that cabinat heater

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:04 AM »
how long does a 20 pounder last with that cabinat heater

Not sure just bought it this fall. Based on the BTU's it should last as long as it would with a double sunflower.

Offline Tears of the Dragon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:42 AM »
For every 180,000 BTU you will burn a gallon an hour. 1 gallon = 5 LBS. This is assuming heater is on high.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:30 AM »
I have a 30k BTU Mr. heater blue flame in my trailer - NOONE gets cold.  Last year was its first run, was not very cold and I only used a tank and a half 20 lbsers
Blake from Elbow

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I picked up this thing off usedregina.com last week, definetly my score of the month.

Built in Calgary by northstar flameless, they mostly build industrial and commercial heaters but this one is from their recreational line.

Sunburst 9000

Its supposed to heat up to 300 square feet so hopefully the 9000 BTU's is enough, it sure feels like it will give off more than enough heat and my shack will be insulated from top to bottom.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Nice score!!

Buddy heaters all the way. I've melted too much crap on sunflowers to even consider them.

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • born to fish forced to work
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:04 PM »
i have used a sunflower on a 5lb tank for the last two years.... it doesn't take up alot of space all i use is a pop up shack,,, just wondering why people do not like them.... i love mine because i can sit in there in a t shirt and be very comfortable.... i see lots of guys use those buddy heaters and my friend had one and it sucked we still had to be dressed in thick sweaters and toques, not sure how big it was bpu size though... any one have their oppinion why they do not like the sunflower

Offline Darko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:32 PM »
I've been in a clam 6 man with the big buddy and was always cold.. I brought my double sunflower and could  fish in a t shirt all day no problem... Sunflower is the way to go in my opinion and cheaper to run and its all i've ever used..

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:08 AM »
I think there was something wrong with your big buddy never heard anyone say it wouldn't put out enough juice.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:34 PM »
sunflowers get hot, too hot. My uncles dad has a double one in his shack. The only bad thing is if your line stays infront of it for too long it'll melt your line right off or melt a little then when you do hook the big guy he snaps off. My big buddy heats up, it just takes a little while.

Offline Broom Jockey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:54 AM »
If you have kids I would recommend the Buddy series, the sunflowers can melt mitts, jackets, ski-pants, line, the side of your portable etc... However, sunflowers deliver the most heat/tank of propane.
Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2012, 05:13 PM »
If you have kids I would recommend the Buddy series, the sunflowers can melt mitts, jackets, ski-pants, line, the side of your portable etc... However, sunflowers deliver the most heat/tank of propane.
X2
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:37 AM »
If anyone has a Big Buddy heater for sale, let me know! :tipup:

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2012, 12:32 PM »
i have used a sunflower on a 5lb tank for the last two years.... it doesn't take up alot of space all i use is a pop up shack,,, just wondering why people do not like them.... i love mine because i can sit in there in a t shirt and be very comfortable.... i see lots of guys use those buddy heaters and my friend had one and it sucked we still had to be dressed in thick sweaters and toques, not sure how big it was bpu size though... any one have their oppinion why they do not like the sunflower

They just get very hot, so with that comes the chance of melting things (line, tent, kids mitts, and other things) they do the job for sure.

Offline emmysdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Because Canadian Tire is putting the Big Buddy on sale for $134, I have a "little buddy" and a "sunflower" for sale....  :-)

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Because Canadian Tire is putting the Big Buddy on sale for $134, I have a "little buddy" and a "sunflower" for sale....  :-)

Hey I saw you add's on used regina, I would suggest adding "Ice Fishing" into both adds as they might be easier found by the right crowd. Just a thought. I would have bought your little buddy from you had I not just bought a different propane heater off kijiji.

Offline emmysdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Hey I saw you add's on used regina, I would suggest adding "Ice Fishing" into both adds as they might be easier found by the right crowd. Just a thought. I would have bought your little buddy from you had I not just bought a different propane heater off kijiji.

Thanks for the advice, I'll modify the ad right away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.