Author Topic: Ice Fishing Suit  (Read 7420 times)

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Suit
« on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Just getting into the sport I am looking at getting equipment. This year has been the basics, poles, lures, flasher safety equipment. I will probably have to use hunting clothing this year. However I did notice Sportman Guide had an Ice Fishing outfit which is much cheaper priced than any other one I have seen. Have any of you used this or is this just one of those too good to be true products?? ???
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Ice Fishing Suit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:27 PM »
I would say spend the extra money, and get a flotation suit, warm plus safety features.  If you look in the off season, you may find some ery good deals, (at least there were some great ones this summer)

Offline Kip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Ice Armor would be my recommendation - 100%
Drilling Lakes out Since 1975 !

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Just getting into the sport I am looking at getting equipment. This year has been the basics, poles, lures, flasher safety equipment. I will probably have to use hunting clothing this year. However I did notice Sportman Guide had an Ice Fishing outfit which is much cheaper priced than any other one I have seen. Have any of you used this or is this just one of those too good to be true products?? ???

A lot of people have bought the Sportsmans Guide suits and have said nothing but good about them.
<===Lefty===

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:48 PM »
           This topic has been up a couple of times, you are going to get a lot of different suggestions, Ice Armor, Arctic Armor, Frabill's snow suit, & so on. You need to have some idea of what you want. I went w/Arctic Armor, it is a good suit, they are all good, the reason I got that brand, my girlfriend gave a gift certificate to a sport shop locally & they only carry Arctic Armor. Go line look @ their claims then decide. ???

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:52 PM »
This will be my third season with my "guide gear" suit. No complaints from me! If I was gonna get a new suit it would be a floatation suit  due to the fact I just picked up a couple of snow machines, just to have piece of mind if I ever was to go through. - olc
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:01 PM »
The green and yellow Arctic Armor suit like the one in my avatar is on sale for $269 for the jacket and bibs, I don't know if a cheaper floatation suit exists.

http://idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:06 PM »
purchased a helly hansen delta 2 float suit for$250.one piece unit

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Frabill suits are one of the best in my opinion. anywhere from 200$-600$ all of Frabill's suits are awesome! I bought the Frabill suit (grey one) last year, and this year i am upgrading to the Snosuit!  ;D

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:34 PM »
I have the gray clam suit love it guy I fish with and his father got the one from sportsmans guide and have had no problems with it and both said would buy another one when these wear out warm and waterproof
Just enjoying life

Offline saskcat4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I just got the Fralbill FXE Snosuit bibs. it fits and feel great. Has full zipper to the hip and padded knees and butt.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:53 PM »
The Sportsman Guide ice suit is a direct knock off of the original Vexilar and StrikeMaster ice suits. What documented proff do you have to substantiate your statement.

I read a lot of posts on here and on the Fish Explorer. If you do a search you will see some of those posts from last year.

Here is just one posts with several people who bought them.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=199639.msg1952923#msg1952923
<===Lefty===

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2012, 06:55 PM »
The green and yellow Arctic Armor suit like the one in my avatar is on sale for $269 for the jacket and bibs, I don't know if a cheaper floatation suit exists.

http://idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php
Wow, wish I had the $$ right now, been wanting that suit. Anyone know how big a 3x really is? My shirt size is 5x.  :-\

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:11 PM »
How do you know what size to order?  I can't find a size chart on there.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:29 PM »
How do you know what size to order?  I can't find a size chart on there.

It would probably be best to give them a call if you're unsure of the size, they're very helpful and friendly.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I'll do that.  Also did you buy the size coat you normally wear or a size bigger?

Bullelk34

« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:32 PM »
The Sportsman Guide ice suit is a direct knock off of the original Vexilar and StrikeMaster ice suits. What documented proff do you have to substantiate your statement.

Documented proof? That people like a suit? For real? I've heard people say they like them too, but didn't have them sign a statement either.......

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2012, 09:29 PM »
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Decissions, decissions, decissions.  Seems like this suit topic is just like the Marcum or Vexilar, Ford or Chevy, ect. topics.     :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :unsure: :unsure:

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2012, 02:26 AM »
Decissions, decissions, decissions.  Seems like this suit topic is just like the Marcum or Vexilar, Ford or Chevy, ect. topics.     :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :unsure: :unsure:
                   Exactly What you have to do is try to get to places that carry them look @ them, try them on & make your own decision! ???

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:11 AM »
Sorry GCD, but in these here parts. We never wear yellow and green! Blue and orange, Would be okay. But never yellow and green.  ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:43 AM »
Sorry GCD, but in these here parts. We never wear yellow and green! Blue and orange, Would be okay. But never yellow and green.  ::)

Eeewwwwwwww!!! Blue and orange is the worst/suckiest color combo in the world!!!

I call the green and yellow suit my John Deere suit. ;) and it matches my tractor.

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2012, 02:32 PM »
I bought the sportsmans guide suit. Its fantastic for the price. Warm and dry.. used it alot last year.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Documented proof? That people like a suit? For real? I've heard people say they like them too, but didn't have them sign a statement either.......

It's OK he retracted his statement. Or so it seems. I like looking up words to back up my statements anyway. That way I can be sure of myself. Bad memory does that to me.
<===Lefty===

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Eeewwwwwwww!!! Blue and orange is the worst/suckiest color combo in the world!!!

I think orange and blue did good for me... only thing missing is my jacket because the clam ice armor suit is just to warm!!!!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I think orange and blue did good for me... only thing missing is my jacket because the clam ice armor suit is just to warm!!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Nothing wrong with Orange and Blue. I'm a proud Denver Broncos fan.
<===Lefty===

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:53 PM »
The problem I have is there aren't many places that carry ice suits and if they do it's one or two of one brand.  Not much of a chance to try different ones and compare.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Striker Ice was very good with helping me on the sizing.  Of course you need to be truthful about the size of your beer belly.
I am sure the  "other guys" will be just as helpful.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Check out all of the others and then look into the Striker Ice suits. Nothing comes close at any price! I know Frabill was selected the best at iCast, but that's what happens when you are the primary event sponsor! Read the reviews. Compare the specs. The only choice is in deciding which style is best for you.

Offline coolhand_luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Striker is the only suit in my opinion.  They are designed by fisherman, and it shows in the quality and features.  Customer service is great, I called Striker about sizing, after talking to Shawn, they fit perfect. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.