Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 9586 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Ice cleats
« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:19 AM »
KAHTOOLA MICRO SPIKES, absolutely the best out there!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:35 AM »
for a temporay solution KAHTOLLA MICRO SPIKES works, but are painful on the heals and don't cover the foot bed very well and can get lost in snow that pulls on them. they were difficult to lay the rear chains into the right grooves in my cabelas boots and to get them aligned well. they will make you lean to the side if you don't center them on your heal. they are tall triangles that would destroy a suit case shanty plastic floor and need to be removed before entering and then re-installed when checking traps or scouting ect. i added a velcro strap to the front section becuase i lost a few in snow on ice before.
to me they are too much of a hassle and i opted for KOLD KUTTERS ICE RACING SCREWS (amazon). they are always on and great for on shore winter activity's as well as on ice and you can drive with them on and go in the shanty w/o destroying floors and know they are always on instead of thinking if you might need them. ice forms after you make your holes and you fish them and before the screws i would slip on those bad spots that i wouldn't think i need traction protection. now i am covered always. good enough to race at high speeds, good enough to save my spine and head walking or running on ice. you can do 4 pair of boots for under 20$ (5$ a pair or less) with about 30 screws per boot for complete foot bed coverage. they can be removed/installed easily. some times you will have to replace a few. they are super sharp and hardened and designed for ice contact.
they are in 3 pairs (every pair i own) of my winter boots. you can walk on soft floors, just walk completely flat to spread out the weight like a person on a bed of nails does.
they are super comfortable and don't need you to learn how to walk differently like KAHTOLLA MICRO SPIKES do.
they ALL can get jammed with packed hard snow and then you lose protection at that time, so none are perfect. i have had them all clog up including KAHTOLLA MICRO SPIKES.
i have tried probably 5 brands of temporary ice traction products. the second most comfortable are the Artic Spurs Ice Cleats with the green band/tubes that wrap over the center of the boot and back onto itself and has a fairly large plate with 4 good sized spikes that point straight down and sit just before the heal of the boot. they make lots of knock-offs of this design, but no heal/tor walking protection. i add extra screws to the toes and heals of all of my boots. it helps when you can push off with your toes and the heal protection offers a large stride knowing you have protection there too.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 20, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Have to agree with Mr. Clean about doing a search and some research, every years there are on average about 4 threads on this topic. I will say to you for myself, Whatever you get you get what you pay for. It's 100% personal choice
Top contenders every time are (in no particular order)

1. Kahtolla Mirco-spikes I put this one first because of personal experience--has editor's choice awards from several walking/hiking magazines, have a lot of fans on iceshanty ---slip on and off with thick rubber band strap, they are comfortable to wear, do not clog up with snow or ice.
2. Hillsound  -- starting to get some fans on iceshanty  ---slip on and off with straps---has a securing strap across the arch of the foot --look like they are the most securely fastened slip on type
3. Stabilicers --have some fans on iceshanty  ---slip on and off with straps   --- from personal experience if these are not put on tightly will slip and slide on your boot, may come off casing you to fall on your face.
4. Screws in the bottom of the boot (regular sheet metal or Kold Kutters) --have a lot of old school fans on iceshanty --- need boots with a thickish sole so the screw will not penetrate. NEVER wear in the house or a business you want to go back to.  WILL void 99% of any warranties on any boot you put them in.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Aug 22, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Kahtoolas. I bought mine at Scheels at the end of ice season last year for less than $50. They're made well, and are just right on my Sorels.

Before these, I wore carbide spikes, but the rubber on those only lasted five years  a pair

The quality of Kahtoolas is great, and I don't have any worries about them falling off. Grip tight on the ice.

Bad side? I can't keep them on my boots all the time. And they're not too secure on the rip-rap banks I have to scramble down before I"m on hard water, nor are they very comfy to walk in when. I'm now carrying street shoes and my boots. As a Geezer, I'm not big on bending over too often

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Aug 22, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Katoohlas here as well no question
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I wear rubber boots.
?
Do the Chain/large spikes have a chance of gouging the boot when the are pressed against it?
See you on the ice!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #37 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:50 PM »
I wear rubber boots.
?
Do the Chain/large spikes have a chance of gouging the boot when the are pressed against it?

On the mircospikes; never had that problem. They are designed with good quality small link chain and the connector links are on the soles of the boot and turned out from the boot. The connector link to the silicone band have the closure side away from the boot as well. The way that the spike plate are designed they can't turn up into the sole of the boot unless you put them on the wrong way or if you  buy them way to large for your boot.
Some pictures for you to look at.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Kahtoola+MICROspikes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI7Lmt46LAxwIVh_1yCh2nhQBa&biw=1680&bih=886#imgrc=PdeXeH-qtg1iCM%3A

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #38 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I wear rubber boots.
?

For sizing them to your boot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kahtoola+MICROspikes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI7Lmt46LAxwIVh_1yCh2nhQBa&biw=1680&bih=886#imgrc=rmNdaWMi17RGnM%3A

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Excellent. Thank you!
See you on the ice!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #40 on: Aug 24, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Just ordered a pair in XL, from ACK, Austin Canoe and Kayak. If your sign up you get a email with a code for 15% off..brand new set shipped to my house (qualified for free shipping) for $42.47!! Sizes may be limited
It is what it is....

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 03, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Yeah, KAHTOOLAS are awesome !

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Sep 03, 2015, 11:42 PM »
I have a pair from HT that look like the sole of your boot with adjustable straps that go over the top of your boot, if I remember right they were called Omni Tec Super Sandals or something like that, I tired to look on HT's website but they don't have them added yet.  These are by far the best cleats I've ever used because the studs go all around your foot and eliminates sore feet at the end of the day.  The nice things about them are they're reasonably priced, about $25 to $30 dollars, and  the studs are replaceable.  Here's a picture of them.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/super-cleated-sandals?a=495362&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0154627000002&gclid=CND9maPI3McCFc4XHwodp-MPEQ

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Sep 04, 2015, 11:30 AM »
looks like they UPGRADED/CHANGED the design some ...so I am certain there will be sales aplenty when restocking takes place in a few weeks or so ...look for discontinued sales

old style

http://heroswelcome.com/images/P/kahtoola-micro-spikes%201779x1762.JPG

new style (click on the second photo)

http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Sep 04, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Garage Sale pick up today Spikes .45

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #45 on: Sep 04, 2015, 03:24 PM »
http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/274576_0_44?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=lV9c00               Looks like the same thing, Hillsound has, only the Hillsound has a hinge!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Sep 04, 2015, 08:36 PM »
New Kahtoolas came today! $38 bucks free shipping and they fit my Baffin Apex size 11.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Sep 04, 2015, 09:57 PM »
New Kahtoolas came today! $38 bucks free shipping and they fit my Baffin Apex size 11.

Dude that is an excellent price and shipping... please share where this DEAL is, my Wife needs a pair of these now that she seen mine. :)

Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 07, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Sorry guys deal is gone. Got the last pair. Was going to order some more for the wife too. She will have to work with my old ones this season. Unless I can snoop around and find another great deal. ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Sep 07, 2015, 08:00 AM »
i see red extra small on amazon for 35 plus 8 to ship (43$). since its the lady's who need them. maybe they will work out for them.
otherwise, they are 59 free ship, no tax all day there. so only 16$ difference or $8 a foot more.

MICROspikes® SIZE CHART:
FOR HIKING BOOTS OR SHOES
SMALL-YOUTH -4.5 TO 7; WOMEN'S-5.5 TO 8.5
MEDIUM-WOMEN'S-8.5 TO 11; MEN'S-7.5 TO 10.5
LARGE-MEN'S-10.5 TO 14
XLARGE-MEN'S-14 TO 16
FOR INSULATED BOOTS
MEDIUM-WOMEN'S-7.5 TO 10; MEN'S -6 TO 8.5
LARGE-WOMEN'S-10 TO 12.5; MEN'S-8.5 TO 11
X LARGE-MENS-11 TO 13.5

i'm not a fan of the product and don't use mine any more. used them maybe 5 times. i wanted to like them being they cost so much back then.
i did buy a set of look alikes from ebay for the wife for 10$ and a buddy a few years ago. comes in its own pouch and no extra charge for that.
http://www.qiannipicture.com/pic/UploadFile/P0/SKU188308/E5664626CE9A469A53F9D216934356D29A36AA039CD2C833C643D24D9E939DC85683C7363F9ECE3663F513.jpg

ice racing screws are so much more comfortable and always on protection every where, not just on lakes, but shoveling or any out door activity like just walking and including ice fishing. my skull depends on my choices.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Sep 07, 2015, 08:15 AM »
looks like they UPGRADED/CHANGED the design some ...so I am certain there will be sales aplenty when restocking takes place in a few weeks or so ...look for discontinued sales

old style

http://heroswelcome.com/images/P/kahtoola-micro-spikes%201779x1762.JPG

new style (click on the second photo)

http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

took the toe chain spreader bar out and looks like a much thinner rubber/latex now. should be a lot cheaper now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.